Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deco Jewelery

OcNikki

New in Town
Do any of you know where I could find some Art Deco inspired jewelry? I'm specifically looking for necklace/earring sets and similar hair combs for me and my bridesmaids. Nothing too expensive, especially since I need to buy 3 sets.

Thank you!

Nikki

Shimmy Sally

It's strange but I hear Target has deco style jewelry right now. Kohl's carries "1928".
I prefer the real thing though. Not a fan of repro jewelry. Especially for earrings; I like screw-back and clip-on better than the current shepherd’s hook.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shimmy Sally said:
It's strange but I hear Target has deco style jewelry right now. Kohl's carries "1928".
I prefer the real thing though. Not a fan of repro jewelry. Especially for earrings; I like screw-back and clip-on better than the current shepherd’s hook.

I can only stand to wear screw-back and clip-ons for a few hours until they make my ears either itch or hurt. It's awful because I have tons of really cute vintage earrings. :( Oh well.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I prefer screw-back and clip-on earrings as well, as I am allergic to a lot of jewelry metals (I’m actually allergic to 1928 earrings, but I can wear them for a few hours without much trouble.) I seem to recall that there is a way to loosen too-tight clip earrings though. This site seems to explain it:
http://www.earringinformation.com/wst_page4.html

One of my coworkers wears a lot of vintage costume jewelry; she has converted some of the clip-ons to post earrings (without altering the actual jewelry), by using a basic post (used for making your own jewelry and found at craft stores) and pushing it through the clip of the earring. She is a ballroom dancer and this is the only way she can prevent her clip-ons from falling off :)

Shimmy Sally

Screw-back dangles can be detached and put on a shepards hook also.

I never thought of the hypo-allergenic issue, Jitterbugdoll. I wonder what women did about that problem back in the day?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I never thought of the hypo-allergenic issue, Jitterbugdoll. I wonder what women did about that problem back in the day?

I'm not sure; I only have trouble with post earrings—clips and screw-backs don't irritate or discolor my skin. My grandmother couldn't wear certain metals though, as they would turn her skin green. I have heard that you can coat jewelry with clear nail polish to help eliminate this problem, so perhaps women did this in earlier eras, too.

Screw-back dangles can be detached and put on a shepards hook also.

The woman I mentioned doesn't make any permanent changes to her clip-on earrings--the posts she uses can be removed in a flash.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
I prefer screw-back and clip-on earrings as well, as I am allergic to a lot of jewelry metals (I’m actually allergic to 1928 earrings, but I can wear them for a few hours without much trouble.) I seem to recall that there is a way to loosen too-tight clip earrings though. This site seems to explain it:
http://www.earringinformation.com/wst_page4.html

One of my coworkers wears a lot of vintage costume jewelry; she has converted some of the clip-ons to post earrings (without altering the actual jewelry), by using a basic post (used for making your own jewelry and found at craft stores) and pushing it through the clip of the earring. She is a ballroom dancer and this is the only way she can prevent her clip-ons from falling off :)

Love that idea! I definitely will start doing that.

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I'm a fan of the 1928 jewelry line, which is very reasonable in price and comes in quite a few colors.

This is their Web site; I have always found a better selection in store though:
www.1928.com

I love some of their jewellery! I got some a Christmas at a big department store in the sale, but had never seen that make before that!! I don't particulary like pieced earrings, but i think that they even had some with clip backs??
Anyways you still can't beat good-old vintage clip-ons they are so cool, and you can get some real unusual ones, and the good part is no one else will have the same!!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran