Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did any of the AVG wear A-2 jackets?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi all,
One question I had, which has never really been fully answered, was... did any of the AVG wear A-2s? Clearly, yes...
Almost all pics show M422as, and these mostly seem pretty baggy (I know they received a consignment from the States, so not much choice there)...
Then later with the 23FG forming, all A-2s.
I have seen pics of one or two AVG pilots wearing an A-2 and I realise these were likely pre-war purchases or at least, early contracts; Werber, Aero and HLB perhaps... Interesting stuff.
Anyone have any other pics/ info to add? Thanks in advance.
pilotes02.jpg
US-airmen-P-40-in-China.jpg
4823992167_10a26d9a83_z.jpg
Flying_Tigers_personnel.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
My mate Matt had this to say...
Most of the m422a’s that came to the AVG actually went to the fledgling Chinese air force they began to train before they started to doing ops. The original AVG were formed from volunteers as you know, from both services, so the jackets they had on them whether in the Navy or USAAF went with them. Pappy Boyington and Tex being Marine/Navy both had M422a’s. Bit sketchy on the details been a while since I red up on it. They originally went to China, where in Winter it was cold, but eventually moved to a base close to China/Burma Border before moving to Burma when the Japs finally invaded 41-42. The last 2 bases were hot swampy areas so doubt if they wore their jackets there. They were then absorbed into the USAAF for good and eventually as you know formed the 23rd fighter group, and would have been issued A-2’s if needed.
If you've read anything on the AVG you'd have come across this already, still interesting stuff anyway.
We need a good AVG movie.

Sobrien

New in Town
My understanding is that CAMCO, the company put together to get the pilots and materials for China, ordered flight gear for 100 pilots from Willis & Geiger, hence all the of the 422s in the photos. Some pilots kept some of the gear from their previous military assignments, while some had them made in China.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Substantial amount of equipment and gear were indeed provided to China during and after the War through CBI. To my knowledge, the CNAC pilots and local CNAC personnel who ferried equipment for AVG and Chinese forces wore A-2, M422a, B-3, B-10, B-15, M-41......, surely the AVG had them. As to the choice e.g. M422a over A-2 and seemingly baggy jackets, that may be due to the weather condition in mountain area.

https://www.flysfo.com/museum/exhibitions/19833/detail?num=7

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 326
  • a150.gif
    a150.gif
    75.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
I've read that the AVG also obtained gear (particularly khaki shorts and shirts) from the RAF bases in the area. It just added to the eclectic variety of "uniforms" seen on AVG members in old photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner