Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Party Etiquette

miss_elise

Practically Family
she wanted to get there early so it would still be light outside... fair enough, but it's nice to ring before hand so that I know... and then her son and daughter wouldn't have been out getting the gas for the bbq and would have been there to amuse her...

plus I have just burnt my hand so i was a bit flustered... put me off my game...

thanks for you input everyone...

paisley, I've just run off a copy of Mrs Post to have a read so at least I may be able to get it right, if no-one else

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
miss_elise said:
she wanted to get there early so it would still be light outside... fair enough, but it's nice to ring before hand so that I know... and then her son and daughter wouldn't have been out getting the gas for the bbq and would have been there to amuse her...

Agreed - she should at least call and say she was, or ask if she could, come early. So...early enough so that she'd arrive while it was light out...which begs the question, was she then afraid to drive home in the dark? ;)

The inlaws, who live 1200 miles south, called one afternoon saying they thought they'd like to come visit for a week or so. "Oh, that might be fun. When were you thinking?" "Well, we just passed Cle Elum so we should be there in probably 90 minutes." Immediately wishing for a freak blizzard to hit Snoqualmie Pass, but knowing in August, it just wasn't going to happen, I said, "Well, uh, gee, what the heck are you two doing up here?" "We saw that show on Discovery last week about Yellowstone being a big volcano just waiting to blow, so we figured if we were going to see it, we better do it now, so we just jumped in the van and head out the next morning...and you know, after a day there, you've really seen all there is to see, so we drove over to Spokane and stayed at the Davenport last night."

Idiots... I seriously considered driving straight to the airport and catching the first flight to Palm Springs.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

This is one reason I live in a small house: relatives cannot stay with me. If they want to visit, that's fine. Denver is full of hotels.

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Dinner Party

In France, it is considered not polite to arrive more than 15 minutes prior the time you are invited. Good manner would be to arrive 10 to 15 minutes after the time you were invited. If you are more than 15 minutes late, make sure you call to apologize to your hostess...

MikeBravo

One Too Many
If anyone arrives early, give them a job or an errand

Either they will be of assistance, or won't do it again; preferrably both

I try to be within 5 minutes after the start date, right on time is a pain because nobody is ready.

For a dinner party does everybody bring a bottle? Wine is the usual, although whether to bring red or white is a tough one for me

Lily Powers

Practically Family
MikeBravo said:
.......For a dinner party does everybody bring a bottle? Wine is the usual, although whether to bring red or white is a tough one for me

For my friends who don't drink, I bring a pair of handmade taper candlesticks, which one of the local stores sells. I guess I'd describe them as "rustic" looking, as opposed to the very perfect ones you usually see in stores. I wrap a small square of paper around them, tie fabric ribbon around them and stick a sprig of lavender or herbs from the garden in the bow. Just a sweet 'thank you' for the hosts' hospitality.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MikeBravo said:
If anyone arrives early, give them a job or an errand

Either they will be of assistance, or won't do it again; preferrably both

"Oh, HIIII! You made it! It's SO nice to see you! You're the first here. Well, GREAT! Would you mind hitting the batrhroom counter with Ajax? get a little in the toilet too -- there's a scrub brush behind it"

Matthew Verge

New in Town
My mother in law is welcome anytime, as are any of the relatives. The only reason they need to call is to check if we're home.

I hope this doesn't lead to a divorce. It'd be a shame to be single because I like my in-laws.

Elaina

One Too Many
MikeBravo said:
For a dinner party does everybody bring a bottle? Wine is the usual, although whether to bring red or white is a tough one for me

It depends on the host/hostess. I never give wine or alcohol, but that is because it is what most people give. If I know them well, I'll give them a hostess apron if they wear them, or a box of fine chocolates, even if I don't know them well at all. If I don't know them well, and not sure if a gift is normal, I leave it in my car, and then it is something like a gift basket, or more often, I send flowers the next day, although if they are arranged in a vase, you can bring them as long as there is nothing she has to deal with. Men are just variations of this and while I generally wouldn't give an apron to him, the only man I know that hosts it does collect vintage aprons and so I make him one for his home every time I go without fail.

All of these are appropriate, but you have to make sure they don't have to mess with it right then, or use it at the party.

I do have one friend where I do make several dishes and bring it. This is not polite at all, except she's an awful cook and can't time anything to save her soul (and she asks me to) and it saves her from having to cook for an hour while we all sit around.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Matthew Verge said:
My mother in law is welcome anytime, as are any of the relatives.
Same here. And likewise, if I happened to show up at their home a half hour early I surely wouldn't sit in the car a twiddle my thumbs. Personally, I've been lucky to have had some very cool in-laws; their daughters were a different story........:rolleyes:

Elaina

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Same here. And likewise, if I happened to show up at their home a half hour early I surely wouldn't sit in the car a twiddle my thumbs. Personally, I've been lucky to have had some very cool in-laws; their daughters were a different story........:rolleyes:

Heh, I still have a very close relationship with an ex father in law and an ex-mother in law. Their sons are entirely a different matter, but until I moved I had lunch with my father in law years after his son and I divorced.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
I am willing to stand corrected by etiquette afficionados but I was always taught that for formal dining occasions you may arrive exactly on time or up to 10 minutes late; any more than 10 minutes then let your hosts know and apologise profusely for the tardiness. In terms of what to take with you, nice chocolates are always welcome and flowers never go down badly (especially if the hostess likes to watch her figure!).

klind65

One of the Regulars
What a gaucherie!

Hello. Yes, I agree, that early arrival was indeed rude. I don't know why "modern" people often don't pracitce consideration. Perhaps they no longer teach the "golden rule" in grammar school.

If one is fortunate enough to have a domestic to see to the guest ( get him/her settled, take wraps and offer drinks) then one is left to do everything oneself in which case an early arrival can be quite the inconvenience. Here are some general rules I follow: Always respond to an RSVP as soon as possible so as to allow the hostess to plan accurately. If the hostess is not at the door to greet you, then you must seek her out and greet her first. Likewise, upon departing, be sure to bid her farewell mentioning how much you enjoyed your stay. For smaller more informal gatherings, it is especially kind and appreciated to arrive with a small token gift of some kind ( bottle of wine, perhaps), and always try to reciprocate later by inviting the hostess to your home or some social event. Lastly, it is essential to send a thank you note as soon as possible after the dinner.

I'd like also to mention that every great hostess makes a point of taking each guest around and introducing him to people she feels he might like. She constantly circulates to be sure that throughout the evening, no one is left alone or bored for long. This requires that she know enough about her guests and be savvy enough to forge propitious groupings. Many hostesses today do not do this resulting in many boring parties and many guests feeling alienated and shy. Hope this helps.
Kind wishes, klind65:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran