Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disney 20, Dobbs 15, and a Lee

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
Recently got 3 new hats to add to the collection after setting my sights on getting some non-grays.

In my haul, I pulled in some really, extremely nice catches all for less than $30 each.

First up we have a medium brown Lee of unknown make and age, size 6 7/8. 2 1/4" underwelt brim, 5" open crowned, 2" ribbon. Most notable thing about this one is that it has the bow on the back, which may or may not say some thing about the age. I'm guessing 50s by the dimensions and the rear bow.

leeoriginal.jpg

Came looking like this with no side bashes, just a center crease.

leefedora.jpg

After readjusting the depth of the crease, I made it considerably less tapered, and gave it a tight pinch.

leeback.jpg

Here's a shot of the rear bow along with wind cord.

Shot of the inside

Logo on liner
Liner

2nd we have a camel colored Dobbs Fifteen, size 7. Nearly a 3" wide bound edge brim, and about 6" crown (open crowned), and 1 3/4" ribbon. A monster of a hat which I'm guessing is anywhere from 30s-40s in vintage. It came with a bit of moth damage, but it's not too noticeable. Very soft hat, although not quite as soft as my Whippet.

dobbs15original.JPG

As it came, virtually untouched.

dobbs15.jpg

As it is now. The Raiders pinch makes it a bit less daunting, as it is a very wide hat. I tried more classic pinches for this very classic hat, but they just emphasized how massive the hat is. I also had to add some considerable curl to the brim, which in its original state would seem to dwarf all but the largest faces.

dobbs15side.jpg

Here's the shot of the side and the ribbon.

Front shot
Liner
Sweatband details
Logo

Lastly, I saved the best for last, a more or less pristine dark brown Disney Twenty, size 6 7/8. This is just one awesome hat, and to top it off it has its own version of the Cavanagh edge, and a wind cord. Really classic dimensions. A 2 7/8" brim, 1 6/8" ribbon, and 5 1/2" open crowned. This is one classy hat, and it even came with the box.

disney20original.jpg

It looks dirty in this pic, but when I received it it looked extremely clean.

disney20.jpg

No tight pinch on this one, it didn't need it. It's a tall, wide brim hat like the Fifteen, but it's a lot less enormous feeling than it. It's quite streamlined actually.

disney20side.jpg

Not sure what you call this type of bow. Honestly I'd prefer a regular double bow though.

Here's the rest of the pics if you're interested:
Here's the box
Front shot
Liner
Sweatband
Logo on sweatband
Other details on sweatband

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
I especially like the Dobbs. I don't think it's massive at all.
But if you don't like it I can always take it off your hands! Just to be heplful ;)

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
It is massive, but I disguised a lot of that with brim burl and the tight pinch. I very much like how it is now, but it wasn't as manageable straight off. 3 inches is a lot of brim and I generally like wide brims. The Disney isn't that less wider but you'd be surprised at how much an eighth of an inch can matter in terms of proportions. I think its block also has a lot to do with its appearance. It's very squarish like an Adventurebilt.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a very similar 1952 Disney with the same bow in back, and a brim of about 2 1/4". It was apparently popular in the early 50's. I left the bash pretty much as I received it, with a slightly tilted slope to the brim.

MAB1

Suspended
Marcus Brody said:
disney20side.jpg

Not sure what you call this type of bow. Honestly I'd prefer a regular double bow though.

My Adam Executive has a similar bow. For lack of a better term I just call it a pleated bow. It's grown on me.

Nice hats all round, btw.

crabman

New in Town
Recently got 3 new hats to add to the collection after setting my sights on getting some non-grays.

In my haul, I pulled in some really, extremely nice catches all for less than $30 each.

First up we have a medium brown Lee of unknown make and age, size 6 7/8. 2 1/4" underwelt brim, 5" open crowned, 2" ribbon. Most notable thing about this one is that it has the bow on the back, which may or may not say some thing about the age. I'm guessing 50s by the dimensions and the rear bow.

leeoriginal.jpg

Came looking like this with no side bashes, just a center crease.

leefedora.jpg

After readjusting the depth of the crease, I made it considerably less tapered, and gave it a tight pinch.

leeback.jpg

Here's a shot of the rear bow along with wind cord.

Shot of the inside

Logo on liner
Liner

2nd we have a camel colored Dobbs Fifteen, size 7. Nearly a 3" wide bound edge brim, and about 6" crown (open crowned), and 1 3/4" ribbon. A monster of a hat which I'm guessing is anywhere from 30s-40s in vintage. It came with a bit of moth damage, but it's not too noticeable. Very soft hat, although not quite as soft as my Whippet.

dobbs15original.JPG

As it came, virtually untouched.

dobbs15.jpg

As it is now. The Raiders pinch makes it a bit less daunting, as it is a very wide hat. I tried more classic pinches for this very classic hat, but they just emphasized how massive the hat is. I also had to add some considerable curl to the brim, which in its original state would seem to dwarf all but the largest faces.

dobbs15side.jpg

Here's the shot of the side and the ribbon.

Front shot
Liner
Sweatband details
Logo

Lastly, I saved the best for last, a more or less pristine dark brown Disney Twenty, size 6 7/8. This is just one awesome hat, and to top it off it has its own version of the Cavanagh edge, and a wind cord. Really classic dimensions. A 2 7/8" brim, 1 6/8" ribbon, and 5 1/2" open crowned. This is one classy hat, and it even came with the box.

disney20original.jpg

It looks dirty in this pic, but when I received it it looked extremely clean.

disney20.jpg

No tight pinch on this one, it didn't need it. It's a tall, wide brim hat like the Fifteen, but it's a lot less enormous feeling than it. It's quite streamlined actually.

disney20side.jpg

Here's the rest of the pics if you're interested:
Here's the box
Front shot
Liner
Sweatband
Logo on sweatband
Other details on sweatband

crabman

New in Town
Hey Marcus, It is now 2019, in November, looks like I may have just bought the same Disney 20, from an e-bay ad.
I guess these hats just revolve around the universe. You still around on the Lounge? Did you sell the hat after a while?

Steve Wilson ( Crabman )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy