Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Aero jackets' linings sag after a while, and show through?

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
Figured I will create a separate thread for a wider exposure (rather than continuing here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...cuffs-without-storm-cuffs.99402/#post-2625579)

Since almost all Aero jackets have linings attached right at the bottom of the hem, with no leather strip at the bottom, do they start to sag over time and show through, either as the lining expands or the leather contracts?

What are most people's experiences with owning new and old Aero jackets over several years? Is this a noticeable problem? And if so, how expensive is it to fix it if you don't live in Scotland, but live pretty far away, say in the US?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Figured I will create a separate thread for a wider exposure (rather than continuing here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...cuffs-without-storm-cuffs.99402/#post-2625579)

Since almost all Aero jackets have linings attached right at the bottom of the hem, with no leather strip at the bottom, do they start to sag over time and show through, either as the lining expands or the leather contracts?

What are most people's experiences with owning new and old Aero jackets over several years? Is this a noticeable problem? And if so, how expensive is it to fix it if you don't live in Scotland, but live pretty far away, say in the US?

I own a couple of Aero's. My oldest dates from early 2014, an Alpaca lined Mariner - as you can see in the photo's below there is no sagging of the lining.
The same for the rest of my Aero's, never had an issue with sagging. However I'd recommend a corduroy strip at the rim, thinner linings (such as Lochcarron tartan) seems to wear fast there.

20191226_132902.jpg 20191226_132827.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have not experienced saggin on any of mine.
What seems to be very common is for holes to appear in the lining on the sides, because the folded seam of the side panels is so thick and rubs through the lining.
I have seen it over and over on used jackets on eBay, my cotton tartan lined Bootlegger had holes starting after a year's wear, my brother's half belt with wool tartan did the same thing in around the same time.
My Grizzly wasn't worn much and it is showing wear there too.

Here is a picture with an arrow showing the area i mean:

f29lcMg.jpg

It's a shame they still refuse to add a corduroy strip at the bottom hem, because it is definitely a real problem!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I have not experienced saggin on any of mine.
What seems to be very common is for holes to appear in the lining on the sides, because the folded seam of the side panels is so thick and rubs through the lining.
I have seen it over and over on used jackets on eBay, my cotton tartan lined Bootlegger had holes starting after a year's wear, my brother's half belt with wool tartan did the same thing in around the same time.
My Grizzly wasn't worn much and it is showing wear there too.

Here is a picture with an arrow showing the area i mean:

f29lcMg.jpg

It's a shame they still refuse to add a corduroy strip at the bottom hem, because it is definitely a real problem!
yep, this is exactly what I was talking about, I had it at my 30's HB after 3 years.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I’ve had a few sagging linings - particularly lighter weight linings. Noteable linings - lightweight cotton grant tartan lining on my two early highwaymen (mid 00’s) and a light cotton drill mustard lining on a Californian which was relined under warranty. Never had a tweed or alpaca lining sag .... I do tend to get a trim fitted to most jackets now not only to stop sag but more to prevent the wear issue noted by many here. Most of my Aeros start to show this after 3-5 years requiring either repair (darning or patching or fitting of a border trim) or reline (which is a pain).

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
I’ve had a few sagging linings - particularly lighter weight linings. Noteable linings - lightweight cotton grant tartan lining on my two early highwaymen (mid 00’s) and a light cotton drill mustard lining on a Californian which was relined under warranty. Never had a tweed or alpaca lining sag .... I do tend to get a trim fitted to most jackets now not only to stop sag but more to prevent the wear issue noted by many here. Most of my Aeros start to show this after 3-5 years requiring either repair (darning or patching or fitting of a border trim) or reline (which is a pain).

I didn't realize there was warranty on Aero jackets!

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
The herringbone tweed wool lining in my Aero Teamster began to sag in the back after a very short time, perhaps two or three weeks of wear. My girlfriend at the time it was pretty handy with a needle and thread and she simply folded it back on itself and stitched it up. Hasn’t been a problem since.

Oh, that's a simple solution I didn't think of!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy