Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Current N-3B Parkas Have Plastic Zippers?

South

One of the Regulars
I don't know who is the current supplier of N-3Bs to the Air Force (Alpha?), but do the parkas have plastic zippers?

I just bought one of the Schott parkas on closeout from US Wings and it has a plastic zipper. I was disappointed to find it wasn't metal.

Am I going to have problems with this plastic zipper? Is it worth having it replaced by someone? If so, with what - brass or nickle?

Thanks.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That was one of the things I noticed with distaste on the Alpha N3-B I got my son a couple of years ago. But realistically it will probably wear reasonably well: there's nothing really wrong with a good nylon zipper, and the N-3B design buffers the zipper between two windflaps so that it doesn't have to take as much direct stress as on most other types of jackets.

I say, don't rush to replace the zipper. It will probably be fine for ordinary use. Enjoy it!

(Of course, my college-age son utterly refuses to wear his black Alpha N3-B, even in single-digit temperatures and blizzard conditions. He's afflicted with the common malady of today's youth of always underdressing for the weather, and prefers just a fleece/nylon jacket over a sweater/sweatshirt and toughing it out. This is another thing I don't understand about our current society: when I was his age, there was nothing uncool about dressing appropriately for winter weather...)

PS - I wouldn't be surprised to discover that both Alpha and Schott N3-Bs are actually made by the same offshore supplier these days...

South

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange,

I think that's good advice. I'll just wait until it ever fails before replacing the zipper.

By the way, it was an older post of yours' that lead me to the Schotts on clearance at US Wings (thanks!). It was $79.95 + $15 shipping. Not a bad price. Black is the only color they had, but they still have some in large and extra large.

I wouldn't be surprised, either, if they were both made in the same factory in China.

The hood has a slight petroleum smell to it. I hope that goes away. I wore it last night to walk the dog. Wow - it felt great. Warm. The hood is enormous, though. I wonder if they are that big to fit over a flight helmet?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Unless otherwise specified all Schott jackets are made in the USA. The N3b is no exception and made in the USA as well. As far as the zipper, I have a spiewak & sons milspec n3b and the zippers is metal, not plastic. Honestly, I believe that with the premium Schott charges, if they thought a metal zipper was better they would add one without losing a dime of profit. So, Im sure there is a performance reason they are using a plastic zipper.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy