Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Freemasons still wear top hats?

HatSoup

Familiar Face
I was researching the freemasons and found an interesting page.
Link: http://www.masonic-lodge-of-education.com/masonic-hats.html

"Masonic hats worn by the Master of the Lodge signify his authority of his rank and status...the origins of which go back over many centuries."

"Masonic Hats:

United States:

Today, Masonic hats are worn, ceremonially, in the United States during the time when the lodge is in session. Some Grand Lodges require that the hat be constructed with a brim. Others simply decree that the Worshipful Master remains covered at all times.

Internationally:

In different jurisdictions around the world, it is also common to see many different styles of Masonic hats.

Worshipful Master Hat:

Q: Does the Worshipful Master have to wear a Masonic hat?

A: No. Masonic hats are the privilege of the Master of the Lodge, and
only his. To remain with his head covered to signify that his is the
position to which the greatest respect should be paid. If in doubt,
however, contact your Grand Lodge for more information about your
specific jurisdiction.

The Worshipful Master of a Lodge holds the most honored, prestigious and sacredly held chair of office during his term.

The Worshipful Master's Position is one of the 3 Lesser Lights

The 3 Lesser Lights of a Lodge are the Sun, the Moon and the Worshipful Master.

As the highest ranking officer within the lodge; it is the duty of the man holding this office to preserve the solemnity and respect of this ancient and historic position, symbolic of his duties as one of the Lesser Lights.

While Masonic hats differ within jurisdictions around the world, Masonic hats are a visible symbol of the Master's authority, and as such, should reflect a respectful, classic or traditional style."

skbellis

One of the Regulars
One of the Grand Lodge (Illinois) instructors actually brought up hats last week in a Standard Club meeting we had. He actually said that the only requirement is that the Worshipful Master have a hat with a brim (not a cap) .

Our lodge has a set of 3 top hats of varying sizes. However a Worshipful Master is more than welcome to buy his own hat. In a lodge I visited in a more rural area the Worshipful Master had a black cowboy hat.

If I ever end up in the East someday I plan to purchase a very nice black fedora to use in the lodge.

Cheers,

Scott

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
The man who wears the hat is in charge. The only requiremnt in Missouri is that it is a Hat and not a cap. I have seen fedoras, cowboy and top hats. they are all "legal" to wear around here. Usually the Grand Master of the State will waer the top hat for tradition, but I have seen many of them that wore a fedora.

trumangm.jpg

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
The Master of my lodge wears a collapsable top hat. As I posted on another thread I found an old Stetson 3x beaver overwelt that had been used by another master. Our archives also had several other hats including a bowler that had been used as well.

On a recent buisiness trip I had the occasion to visit Holland Lodge #1 in Houston. I was impressed that the Master there had the good fashion sense to wear a Homberg with his tux. Only dressed in a suit, I had on a new Stetson Sovreign I picked up from Henry the Hatter's Detroit store. He complamented me on the hat.
Their lodge treated me to a great meal and some great fellowship afterwards. I ended up having a great evening in a strange city thanks to those guys...
I love the our gentle craft more than ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy