Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do my shoes and jacket have to match?

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Sorry for such a simple question but I'm a moron when it comes to these things.

Specifically I was wondering if it would be ok to wear a pair of black shoes, black belt and a russett colored long half belt.

m0nk

One Too Many
I was always told that the belt and shoes should match, but never heard anything about the jacket too. I've often worn a charcoal suit with black shirt/belt/shoes, and some other colored or striped tie, but that's just me. I, too, would like to know if there's something I'm missing...

too much coffee

Practically Family
Well, I'll be the one to think differently. It really depends on what you're wearing. In other words, if you're wearing black dress slacks, a pair of dark brown or even light brown shoes, brown belt, black or brown solid shirt and a black or brown leather jacket looks just great. It all depends how deep the hue to a particular color is and how it compliments another color.

We're all grown ups here and I really believe we, for the most part, know how to dress ourselves with regards to color and shades of color. If we look in the mirror and think......."man, I really don't think this goes together, you're probably right."

After all, men don't go out and buy a new pair of shoes to match a new outfit do we? Or do we? Maybe this is why we have a leather jacket obsession.......a jacket to go with everything? Rambling thoughts but I hope I never get to that way of thinking.

On the other hand, Peacoat's opinion can be absolutely correct. Sometimes the combination of black and brown clothing (and other combinations as well) can be a visual turn off. Let's face it, we've all seen guys who dress as if they are trying to look hideous when it comes to colors complimenting each other with their wardrobe.

I know gazing through the various pics on the Lounge has assisted me with color coordination of shirts, pants, belts and whatnot.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:
These "rules" came about for a reason. The reason for the black/brown rule is simply because they don't look good together.

What about jackets that have brown & black leather?
I generally match, but I don't think it has to be 100% perfect always - at least with more casual wear...

m0nk

One Too Many
These "rules" came about for a reason. The reason for the black/brown rule is simply because they don't look good together.
Not always; I have worn the combination noted above with a brown Fed IV and it actually looked really good together. I also wear my black shoes and belt with tan slacks and tan vest and it looks very nice as well.

It really depends on a lot of variables, such as the shade of brown, what black items, etc. The same is sometimes also said about black and blue, but again, that depends on the shades and what item of clothing they are. I wouldn't wear a navy blue suit with a black shirt, but I might wear a navy shirt with a black pinstripe suit and black tie.

But again, I don't know all of the "rules", I just know the matching shoes/belt one.

How's the trip going?

Regards,
coffee

Great. Went to Aero today - tired as I'm off on my timezones. Didn't get to meet Amanda, but Will was there and his son, Brendan, took us on the tour and delivered my jacket. A really great young man. People are very friendly and the place is really tucked in there.
LOVE the 50's HBD, and I'll post pics as soon as I get settled and a nap :)
Quite fun to go there and get the jacket I ordered 6 months back. I emailed Amanda and Mark (AeroUSA) to thank them both - at the same time, I had received an email from Mark asking how it went. Nothing but good things to say about them all! And the collar (removable) is made from the RAF bomber fur - which is to say, PERFECT! I'll start a new thread once I get the pics and settle in...
Hope you're well compadre! It was cold as hell there!

Scott

...and it hasn't even started to get cold there yet, it's been uncharacteristically mild ;-)

Well then we're all California wussies because it was windy and freezing! But that's OK, the fur kept me warm, and my son's B3 was strapped up and he was happy. :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think we chew over these "rules", with their varied applications, every other month on the lounge.

There are no rules, per se. There is no book one can pull up and point at saying, "Rule #5 says you can't do that."

That said, wear whatever you like if it suits you. Otherwise, if you want someone's advice, you should probably stick to some of the tentative rules such as "Don't mix brown and black", etc. But again, this isn't hard and fast - none of these rules are.

You could morph this question into so many others; e.g. "Can I wear a necktie with my tuxedo?" or "Is it okay to wear a pocket square and tie of identical material and color?" The answers are simply, "No," but don't let us rain on your parade. Have at it, everyone else does.

Therefore if I wear a black leather jacket with a brown belt and brown boots I look ugly? :O

Uh..you mean because the jacket ..coat...and shoes don't match..or because of something else?
I'm just kidding....:D
No...I don't think that it would be 'ugly'.
I just have always had the tendacy to wear leather of similar color..rather than so drastically different. I notice if others wear black and brown leather miss-matched and have always considered it as kind of an odd mix. I also don't care for black and brown coats/jackets or shoes...maybe because of such a stark difference. Perhaps I was just raised that way..or taught that 'usually' black and brown doesn't go together. I do think that brown shoes with a black jacket often looks strange...or out of place.
HD

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Uh..you mean because the jacket ..coat...and shoes don't match..or because of something else?
I'm just kidding....:D
No...I don't think that it would be 'ugly'.
I just have always had the tendacy to wear leather of similar color..rather than so drastically different. I notice if others wear black and brown leather miss-matched and have always considered it as kind of an odd mix. I also don't care for black and brown coats/jackets or shoes...maybe because of such a stark difference. Perhaps I was just raised that way..or taught that 'usually' black and brown doesn't go together. I do think that brown shoes with a black jacket often looks strange...or out of place.
HD

Ok I understand that you're a fan of postatomic fashion...

attachment.php

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic