Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we like sodie pop? What do you like and what do you call it?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My favorite soda pop is one that doesn't even exist anymore. It was a cola made in Chile in the 1940s. The name was "Cueca Cola." The cueca is Chile's national folkloric dance.

CuecaCola.jpg

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I remember going to my Gram's in Iowa during the summer and being offered Pop... caffeine-free pop. My brother and I would find ourselves going down the block to the store to get a soda....Coke lol. Mmmmm Caffeine lol. I drink mainly Coke and Coke Products, Fanta, Sprite. I like Dr. Pepper but there's always a bottle of Coke in the fridge. I couldn't drink any while I was pregnant so I'm making up for it now haha

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a diet pepsi person. Regular pepsi is just too sweet. On occasion I'll have a root beer, ginger ale or orange soda. I really like grape soda too.
I call it soda, but my grandparents and parents call it tonic.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Ok, so forgot to list my favorites. Coke is the mainstay, of course, I can't abide Pepsi. Ginger ale is also great, and I actually have a new favorite,
Polar2LiterBirchBeer.jpg

Polar birch beer. It's been around a long time, has anybody else ever heard of/liked it?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not mad about fizzy drinks (as they are called here) and even when I was a kid I virtually never drank them apart from the odd ginger beer. There is also a specifically NZ one called "Lemon and Paeroa" which got the odd look in when I was a nipper but we're taking maybe only once or twice a month.

Now about the only fizzy drinks I have is some tonic which obviously gets mixed with something else for medicinal purposes!

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Wow, once again, there are the most amusing threads around here.

I stand amazed that no-one has linked to the Pop vs. Soda page, which gives you some hard data on just who calls it what (in the USA, at least).

For my own part, I tend towards soda, although my mother always used the term "pop".

I have been a Coca-cola drinker, as I think Pepsi is two sweet, and not acidic enough for my tastes. I like RC just fine (and love ginger beer, like the Reeds a previous poster mentioned). Well brewed root beer can be a treat as well, and in general, I like "high-end" sodas. I still retain a childhood love for the occasional artificially flavored grape soda.

As both the calories and sugar are now to be avoided in my advancing age and declining health, I've made the adjustment to diet. I was off soda for a while, drinking lightly flavored sparkling water instead (Talking Rain), but now include some diet Coke again. I tend to prefer the Splenda version.

Someone mentioned not being able to drink soda (or pop) due to the corn syrup. I believe Canadian made Coke still doesn't use corn syrup - another option is Coke for Passover, which is also free of the stuff.

On a recent trip to Ocean Shores, I discovered that the presence of a Pepsi bottling plant locally made it difficult to get Coke. All the restaurants only sold Pepsi, which some some reason, infuriated me. I'm fine with buying local, and I guess it would be like trying to get a Japaneses car in Detroit, but I value personal choice more.

Alas, soda/pop is a bad source of empty calories, and drinking it as your sole source of liquid intake should probably be avoided. But I do love the stuff.

Barry

Practically Family
Ale-8-One

I was on a contract when I worked in IT and I traveled around Kentucky for a while. That's where I learned about this soda. It's kind of gingery and sweet and it has been around for a long time now.

Barry

lindylady

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
I'm sure we'd like to see that site!

Here in my part of Ohio, it's pop. People "not from here" who say 'soda' seem uppity.

Yeah, I still say pop. Since moving from Youngstown to the mid-Atlantic, I find that a lot of people here say either soda or coke. Also, they will call it by its specific brand.

captcouv

New in Town
Coke

In South Louisiana we always called it 'coke'. Still do. That is, everytime you wanted a soft drink, you said you were going to get a 'coke' - no matter what you told sales clerk or pulled from the machine (remember pulling those ice cold bottles from the machines? Or, sliding them from the chest top machine with racks in them?) you always said, "let's go get a coke." If you asked, you said, "ya'll want a coke?" - then they'd tell you "yeah" bring me a XXXXX.

Coca-Cola was the most prevelant, but RC, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, & 7Up were always around. After Coke changed it's formula (the first time, from cane sugar to corn sweetner), I went to RC, but then all the soft drinks switched to corn sweetner, so I really don't care. (Drink Pepsi when I have a choice, simply because that's all we got when I was in Desert Shield/Storm). Also a local phenomenon was Barq's ("It's not Root Beer!") and Barq's Cream Soda. Still love a Barq's when it's on fountain.

I can't stand anything that says it's a 'diet'.

griffer

Practically Family
Family Guy

...had an homage to Mr. Pibb last night.

Big Red with the great taste of RED! For the win.

Its a Texas thang. I miss Big Red. A lot.

Oh, and my favorite line in texas:

Me: "I'd like a Coke, m'am."

Waitress: "Sure, hon, but what kinda coke?"

Me: "Big Red."

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I've ever refered a beverage as soda or pop at all. Just a drink.

Hanes Kiwi/Strawberry, water, or Sprite for me

that Pop vs. Soda website is pretty neat too.

NRay

New in Town
I grew up in Iowa where it was always called "Pop," so that is the reference I use. However, I live in Missouri now, and people in my area call it "Soda." My refusal to submit myself to saying this phrase often brings down scathing insults and wrathful rebuke, tantamount to the pain inflicted by the Spanish Inquisition.
My favorite is Mountain Dew and its several variants. This is because my Grandpa used to buy it, along with Pepsi, in glass bottles, which seemed the coolest way to drink any kind of beverage.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
"I'm a diet Dr. Pepper aholic. I like diet root beer too.

In my neck of the woods, everything is called coke. If its carbonated, its a coke. "What do you want to drink, honey?" ..."I'd like a coke" ... "alright, what kind? we've got pepsi, mountain dew, etc etc"

doesnt matter the brand, the flavor.. its all coke. however, when I was about 12 I decided to start calling it soda, as some sort of rebellion against the way my parents spoke and said things. (I also lost most of my southern accent about this time too) my parents, and most people I know still refer to it ALL as coke.

-Jess"

That goes for Atlanta also. In Milwaukee WI they call it Soda (with a nasally O)

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I have always known it as soda. I used to love coca cola, but it got to be too addictive. I only have it about once or twice a year now. Otherwise I'm all about Ginger Ale (I always have nausea!) even though I believe there is no real ginger in it.

Schweppes rocks my socks. Especially Raspberry. Thats for special occasions.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
Here in Iowa almost everyone refers to it as "pop". My favorite is Diet Coke and we always have several cases on hand. I also like Diet Dr. Pepper and sometimes a Diet Mt. Dew. I've drank the sugar-free varieties for so long that the others taste funny to me now.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Growing up, my mom got us Nugrape and when I lived with Dad he got us Coke or Dr. Pepper.
As an adult, I drink none of the above. I just got tired of the tastes, and could not get past the fact that it's just carbonated water with syrup. Yuck!
If I wanna load on the carbs, pass the Warsteiner, Duvel ale, or some other good German or Belgian beverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24