1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Do women hate men's hats?

Discussion in 'The Front Parlor' started by LizzieMaine, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Horace Debussy Jones

Horace Debussy Jones A-List Customer

My father was born in 1920 and also "Golden Era" I suppose, however he never wore a hat of any kind that I recall. Certainly not a dress fedora. Maybe a winter hat with ear flaps for shoveling snow, etc. He was just not into fashion, but very down to earth and practical. He didn't even own an actual suit, just some dress slacks and a sports jacket from Sears with a clip on tie for "special occasions". So I grew up not really knowing much about fashionable clothing or hats, but I had a sort of innate curiosity and appreciation for the clothing of the era from watching guys like James Stewart, James Cagney, etc. dressed to the nines in film rolls. I've always had a great appreciation of fine suits, ties, and other accessories, but I can't for the life of me accept the look of any hat on my noggin. I've owned, and subsequently flipped a few fine vintage hats in my size, but can never get past how I look wearing any of them. Even the western hat I have for cool weather mountain hikes, just looks dorky in the mirror, although I like the look when it's on the shelf in my closet, or when Clint Eastwood is wearing something similar. I think I have some sort of major hat dysfunctional syndrome. Perhaps the result of my upbringing? Maybe I can sue someone for my malady?? :)

Fading Fast likes this.
  2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Other than a baseball or ski cap - or an in-store try-on of a newsboy cap (once) and cowboy hat (once) - I've never even tried on any other hats. I know from those few efforts and some innate feel as to what would work for me, that I have no ability to carry the look off so I don't even try.

Also, like you, I acquired an appreciation for the Golden Era Hollywood look from Stewart and Cagney, as well as, Grant and Cooper and others. As a kid growing up in the very style-challenged '70s, those guys in those clothes looked so much better than the crazy '70s stuff around me that it gave me an early appreciation for that classic look.

3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

When the talk of great hat-wearers comes up, there's one who comes to mind for me above all others.

[​IMG]

Now, I'm not kidding about this. Consider the perfect confidence with which he wears his hat, the utter insouciance, the complete lack of any kind of self-consciousness that accompanies not just the hat, but the whole outfit. Not everybody can pull off a look like this, because what pulls it all together is the sense of absolute, effortless cool on the part of the wearer. Wottaya say dere, Ralphie boy!

Paisley, Fading Fast and Edward like this.