Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you buy organic?

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
This is probably true. But organic is certainly healthier for the animal, should animals be involved (not eating feeds containing God knows what; living on the land, not a feed lot/battery barn). And healthier for the soil (mother earth) if NPK fertilisers are done away with - as they must be for a vegetable to truly be described as organic.

bk

i agree. these are my main reasons for buying as much organic (and local!) as possible. the co-op near my house has fantastic prices on organic produce, and i buy the organic versions of more-processed stuff (pasta, etc) at trader joe's because that's what i can afford. for the record, i'm a vegetarian trying to get back to being mostly vegan.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day, I dont buy organic food..... but my shampoo and conditioner, and some face creams are all organic.... and I love them....most of my hair care is bought on the health food shop...... there are some excellent Australian organic products... :D

pgoat

One Too Many
+1 on Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, organic, mostly vegetarian (the wife eats some fish; I still do poultry once/twice a week, but trying to get back to 100%, tho we've never been vegan).

I definitely feel better (physically and ethically) buying natural and local. It's the right thing to do and worth the $ imho.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
Lady Day, I dont buy organic food..... but my shampoo and conditioner, and some face creams are all organic.... and I love them....most of my hair care is bought on the health food shop...... there are some excellent Australian organic products... :D

:eusa_clap With results like that, I'm convinced on organic.:D

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Another on board for Trader Joe's. I buy mostly organic/local grown produce. As far as prepared foods go, I stay away from anything w/ hydrogenated vegetable oils, they're basically poison and not allowed as food additives anywhere else in the world but the USA.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
scarlett said:
Another on board for Trader Joe's. I buy mostly organic/local grown produce. As far as prepared foods go, I stay away from anything w/ hydrogenated vegetable oils, they're basically poison and not allowed as food additives anywhere else in the world but the USA.

I agree with the poison part. Sometimes it amazes me what's aloud in the USA.:mad:

I try to eat as healthfully as possible, with as much organics as affordable. Organic Swiss cheese mm.....:D

I make sour-dough bread too. Don't tell anybody-- it might not be something real men do!lol

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Buying Organic

We only buy organic if...

1. The price is right, and not overly inflated like some of the food over at "Whole Paycheck".

2. If it's of good quality.

Now I usually default to the organic, but sometimes I feel that shopping at Whole Paycheck or Trader Joes not everything has to have a "Organic" stamp on it. Only within the last 2 years when Magneto and I started living together I start realizing a difference in how I felt after eating organic. And dare I say that I have been eating better as well. ;) But then again, that's really due in full credit to Magneto.

FG.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I only eat organic except when I go out to eat. I avoid all processed foods, junk like Aspertame and High Fructose Corn sweetners, etc, and believe I feel better as a result. Oh, and I'm a big-time carnivore.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
as someone whose current partner works for Whole Foods/Wild Oats, i have to mention that when you shop there, the higher prices are compensating not only for the fact that it DOES cost more for organic stuff to make it to the market, but that the staff makes a living wage. the stores here start people at over $3 more than the minimum wage, and their benefits are amazing too. Trader Joe's is pretty good about that stuff too - my ex-partner works for them. that matters a lot to me, although i don't think it does for everybody. [huh]

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Grocery stores paying workers a living wage DEFINITELY means something to me! Thank goodness for ethical business practices.

I buy organic, and I've been a vegetarian for almost a decade. It's quite a stretch to pay the extra price for high quality foods and cosmetics, but it's absolutely worth it.

I've decided that I'm going to avoid eating the low quality food offered at my college as much as possible. They do offer one organic, local dish once a week at lunch, courtesy of our Sustainability minor...but that's not nearly enough for me! I ate a seemingly balanced diet during the one quarter I've been living at school, but for some reason I just don't feel as well as I do when I'm eating the same things made with higher quality ingredients. Even the raw vegetables didn't do much for me. It's very strange...maybe they just make everything from cheap mixes. Sad.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
katiemakeup said:
This is perfect timing! Last week on a shoot there was a beautiful fruit plate and the strawberries were literally perfect in every way a strawberry could be. I asked the gal how come when I buy strawberries they taste like crap and she said 'they're organic!' So I am a convert!

Haha, I didn't even like berries until I tried the organic (and wild!) variety. Mmmmm...

There's an organic raspberry farm in Corrales that lets people pick as many berries as they want. They weigh the berries, and then charge you. You end up paying waaaay less when you pick your own there. It's very fun, too! I love watching families take their kids berry-picking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925