Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Carry A Lucky Talisman?

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I don't really believe in such things, but I usually have a Lone Ranger style Long Colt silver bullet, and a Capri bell hanging off an A-2.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
I don't think it's lucky, but I've carried this little Swiss army knife for about twenty years. The little woman has only been on it for four or five years.

lucky.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I carry in my left-hand trouser pocket, a small bag with a stone given to me by a friend -- there is a word carved on the stone; it says "power." I also carry a stone outside the bag that has the Chinese symbol for happiness, that is of the spiritual sort. Plus any pennies I have or find (though, I tend to put found pennies in a shoe).

In my right-hand pocket, I always carry a certain amount of money, i.e., four quarters, four dimes and four nickels. plus all my bills, folded up in order of denomination and all facing the same way.

I really am perverse...

karol

K.D. Lightner said:
I carry in my left-hand trouser pocket, a small bag with a stone given to me by a friend -- there is a word carved on the stone; it says "power." I also carry a stone outside the bag that has the Chinese symbol for happiness, that is of the spiritual sort. Plus any pennies I have or find (though, I tend to put found pennies in a shoe). In my right-hand pocket, I always carry a certain amount of money, i.e., four quarters, four dimes and four nickels. plus all my bills, folded up in order of denomination and all facing the same way. I really am perverse... karol

The real question is,,, what happens when you DON"T do this?

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Mine is a 103 years-old metal washer that I picked at the old Angus Locomotive Shops when they refitted the building for other uses after the CPR closed it. Why did I picked it up? Well, I love trains and my great-uncle with whom I was raised worked at those very shops all his life. Does it bring good luck? Don't know but it feels good having it.

keys.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Gray Ghost said:
Not superstitious. I don't believe in good or bad luck. I do carry a cross around my neck to remind me of Christ's sacrifice. It is a Celtic Cross that I wear. It reminds me also of my Scottish heritage.

I had a few crosses over the years, much the same reasons. My parents bought me a beautiful silver chain and cross for my 24th, the last birthday I spent back in Ireland. It was something I'd asked for (though I'm sure they spent a lot more on it than I'd have envisaged!). Just a plain, simple barren cross. The other things I wear day and daily are my rings - three of them. One silver one with a tree-bark kinda pattern, either siver or white gold, not sure. In the family for years - just an old ring lying round the house, and I've been wearing it since I was 17. Usually on the middle finger of my left hand, but it moves if i need to remember something. On my right hand I wear a gold one with a large cut garnet, a 20th birthday present from the folks, and an aircraft grade titanium patterened pnky ring with an internal engraving from Christmas 2004 - bought with money given me that year by my grandmother and aunt, the last Christmas my Grandmother was alive. No superstitious meaning attached to them, but I do feel naked without my rings. They're part of who I am in a sense. I'd go out without them if I had other rings in their place (I'm considering incorporating a Keith Richards style skull ring into some of my looks), but it would be noticeably different. The gold garnet ring I've only gone out without on a handful of occasions since I got it thirteen years ago.

Most else I carry around is functional - mobile phone, wallets (one cash, one for cards), keys. My wallets and keys are all on belt chains, deliberately so that when I'm wearing them I don't have to take them off - prevents against loss and - hopefully - pickpockets! It's a problem if I go out without them, but that's a practicalities issue. Oh.... I like to carry a plectrum or two when I remember, but again that's not really a talisman, I just like having one on me. I don't today.

Kishtu

Practically Family
What do I feel undressed without....

only one thing, which is a necklace which holds all kinds of rubbish - even if I'm wearing 17th century period costume or pearls I take the thing off and hook it inside my clothes somewhere.

It's got an silver ankh on it which was a gift from my parents, a garnet and amethyst pendant which was a gift from Him Indoors which matches my engagement ring, and a dichromatic glass pendant which was also from Jon.

It looks, I have to say, a right blinkin' mess but I actually walked miles to find my ankh when it fell off when the chain broke once and it upset me terribly.

And there is always a penny in the side pocket of my purse that mum gave me - she says you should never give an empty purse as a gift. I've kept the penny!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
There is a black plastic spider in the side pocket of my back-pack, and I have no idea where it came from...but it's been there for years, so I just leave it there.

On my old set of car keys, I used to carry two skeleton keys.

Edward

Bartender
Kishtu said:
And there is always a penny in the side pocket of my purse that mum gave me - she says you should never give an empty purse as a gift. I've kept the penny!

She isn't Irish, is she? Just that round Ballymena / Larne way, it's been traditiona from before my grandparents' time that if you bought someone a purse or a wallet as a present, you put something in it - a couple of small coins, usually - the old saying was then it would never be empty (if only!). I don't know wehre the tradition came from, but it seemed to be an old Irish thing?

Kishtu

Practically Family
No, Scottish on mum's side of the family, but Irish on dad's (West of Ireland I think -the only other place I've ever seen my surname is in the Cork phone book!)

Some other strange superstitions from my childhood are - bringing hawthorn (may) blossom in the house brings death, never put shoes on the table as it will lead to an argument, and don't give a knife as a gift - erm, as if you would?? - as it will cut your friendship.

Do these sound familiar?

Edward

Bartender
Kishtu said:
No, Scottish on mum's side of the family, but Irish on dad's (West of Ireland I think -the only other place I've ever seen my surname is in the Cork phone book!)

That makes sense - the NE Antrim Coast is so close to Scotland, and historically there was a big crossover between them (still is!) - mediaeval kingdom of Dalriada and all that.

Some other strange superstitions from my childhood are - bringing hawthorn (may) blossom in the house brings death, never put shoes on the table as it will lead to an argument, and don't give a knife as a gift - erm, as if you would?? - as it will cut your friendship.

Do these sound familiar?

The knife doesn't, but the other two, definitely. Especially the one about the shoes. Others I can think of offhand were if the nose itches you're going to fight.... oh, and getting rid of a wart by selling it to someone else. Why anyone would want to buy a wart, I don't know, but there you go!

Kishtu

Practically Family
And there are all kinds of stupid random ones that I can't remember properly..... if you drop a fork it means a man will come to the house, and if you drop a knife it will be a woman.... or that might be vice versa!

I have heard of buying warts, but never taken anyone up on the offer!

Oh! and how could we forget "longtails"? This might be a Romany/traveller one but it was a big thing in the Irish pubs in Manchester - you don't say the word, or they'll come to your house, but Rodents Of Size. Arr Ay Tee Ess.

Hours of fun to be had with Norah at the bar saying "what, do you mean RATS?" and she'd practically go through the wall.....

V

VargasBaby

Kishtu said:

Do these sound familiar?

I've heard the penny one before (and actually still do this myself to this day!) as well as the knife one. And I know plenty of people that would appreciate knives as gifts! lol

Hadnt heard the hawthorn one though or the shoes.

Still kinda off topic with the thread but not...has anyone heard about is a picture randomly falls off the wall someone in the house will be dying soon? I think that's a Celtic one too..

Edward

Bartender
Kishtu, not heard the one abouyt the rats, no - maybe it's a regional thing, or as you say it could come from the travelling community who tend to have rituals and folklore peculiar to themselves (which I hope is properly recorded, as it seems to me that that way of life can only decline over time, and if it's not recorded for history it will be lost entirely).

VargasBaby said:
Still kinda off topic with the thread but not...has anyone heard about is a picture randomly falls off the wall someone in the house will be dying soon? I think that's a Celtic one too..

That does sound familiar. My grandmother hears the banshee when someone in the family is gonig to die - and she's never been wrong. Started way back when - the story goes that they all in the car actually saw one, and ever since she's heard them. It's a rare.... I struggle to call it either gift or curse, let's say ability; in general, you are only supposed to hear the banshee when it's your own turn to go.

V

VargasBaby

And not meaning to thread jack...but this is kinda neat.

Edward said:
...you are only supposed to hear the banshee when it's your own turn to go.

Ah see...that depends to. From what I recall there are family customs where in wolves, hounds and what not are heard by the family at the death of a member. Either just before or right after. Generally though it's the family animal or totem as it were. So a bird, mammal, etc.

Perhaps the Banshee is just associated with your family more so them most?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
In my part of the 'hood, it was a howling dog that would predict a death, usually in the direction the howling dog is pointing.

Silly. Of course, someone in that direction will die!!

When someone moves into a new home, you give them some salt, a piece or loaf of bread and a new broom. Heard that one in NYC from a deli owner shortly after I move there. He actually gave me the bread, the salt and broom!

A Nordic good luck charm is to hang a "kitchen witch" (a little figure or doll of a witch flying on her broom) in the doorway to the kitchen, supposed to bring good luck and prosperity and, probably, good cooking and lots of food. I have had the same witch hanging in every kitchen doorway where I've lived for over 30 years.

karol

Dracca

One of the Regulars
I carry a few. A 1972 silver dollar that my granfather gave me. I was born in 1972 and every year he would but a 1972 silver dollar on top of my gift. It is the only one I have left.

V

VargasBaby

K.D. Lightner said:
A Nordic good luck charm is to hang a "kitchen witch" (a little figure or doll of a witch flying on her broom) in the doorway to the kitchen, supposed to bring good luck and prosperity and, probably, good cooking and lots of food. I have had the same witch hanging in every kitchen doorway where I've lived for over 30 years.

karol

OH! I remember kitchen witches! My mom used to have one in her kitchen too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24