Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you go Commando?

Nashoba

One Too Many
lindylady said:
Whenever I wear a circle skirt out dancing, I put on long black shaping shorts (similar to Spanx) in order to avoid a peep show whenever I twirl. I always have my underwear on beneath the shorts, but someone informed me that you don't need to do that. Is this true? It still seems as though you're going commando beneath your foundation garments :eek:

I'm a native american dancer and I wear those same type of shorts under my dance regalia. I typically don't wear underwear under them because they almost always have a built in cotton crotch "panty". At least the ones I do have it and when I'm dancing I prefer not to get a wedgie like I do when I'm wearing something underneath them.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
...just...couldn't...do it. Bravo to those who dare! :)

add that to the fact that I can be most ungraceful at times, I know I'd take a tumble and the fall alone wouldn't be the embarrassing part!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Never have, never will.

I like to wear twirly skirts, and I love to dance. Those two facts to me mean that I need to wear panties or risk flashing everyone. I even go a few steps beyond that. If I'm wearing my black garter belt (six strap from Cameo Intimates), I'll usually wear black tap pants over it so I'm not exposing anything while I dance.

True story.

One night I was at a fancy dance ball dancing with one of my guy friends. I was wearing a black version of Marilyn's white dress from Seven Year Itch. At the end of a song, I got a lot of hoots, hollers, and whistles from a row of older fellas that has been watching me dance. As I'm fairly good, I thought they just enjoyed watching me. I found out when I visited the loo later that the tap pants I had on over my garter belt had fully crept up during the course of the dance, so the *ahem* gentlemen were treated to repeated glimpses of my bottom framed by six black straps as I twirled and danced. I'm quite sure that I made their year.

:eusa_doh:

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
I think it's hilarious the way people are so divided about this!

As far as I'm concerned, wearing modern panties under tap pants/French knickers is crazy... And wearing panties UNDER a girdle just makes life v. difficult. That's why panties from the girdle-wearing period were so big - so they would fit OVER the girdle. Those super-modest girls from the 1920s, 30s and 40s didn't see the need to wear two pairs of pants, and I don't see why I should either!

I do Tudor re-enactment, and they hadn't invented panties then, so, being an authenticity freak, neither do I. But also, if you are wearing really thick heavy skirts and a shift underneath, it just doesn't make sense. Certain things are very tricky... From time to time I see ladies desperately trying to pluck at their underwear through said skirts and laugh.

Saying all of this, I wore a 30s bias cut wedding dress and I was determined that I would not go into church with no panties on! It took me a very long time to track down some 30s pants which did not have any problematic seams, but I think it was worthwhile!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Apparently I do. Because I packed my bag for the gym last night and somehow forgot all my underwear. Le sigh.

Oh well. I've got control-top nylons and a big skirt and scarf, so it's my (now our) little secret.

Folly

One of the Regulars
I have never given it much thought but I know that if I did do such, something would befall me :eek: I have an appalling sense of balance and the chances of me flooring myself are rather high.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
So do I. once when I was doing Tudor Living History, I fell down a flight of wooden stairs and my skirt went right up over my head. On the one hand, I felt that at least the people watching had not seen me wearing anachronistic underwear. On the other hand, it was quite embarrassing. Lets hope they didn't see too much. I don't know, because I ran!

Girl Friday

Practically Family
See this is the thing, I understand not wanting VPLs (Visible panty lines), I used to wear thong undies, but it always looks like your backside is eating your pants :eusa_doh: and with skirts...well, there are stairways, and clumsiness that make me want to be sure and have skivies on, the kind that really cover! My personal favorite are boy shorts, truely the best of both worlds, no VPLs and no eating the pants!

I personally like clothes, and under clothes, and comfort is key! So whatever makes you comfortable, that is what is really important.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I had a friend back in NYC who rarely wore underwear. I tried it for a few days, but, when the jeans rubbed me raw in a couple of places and I found myself getting a bit of an infection, I went back to wearing underwear.

If I dress up, I wear typical underpants, but lately have been wearing boy shorts and even found some women's boxers. Wearing those is almost like not wearing anything.

Also, I guess the words from my mother when I was young are just a part of me: she, a child of the depression, always told me to wear clean underwear that had no holes. "What," she said, "would you feel like in an emergency when the medical people see you have on old, ugly underwear?"

I know, it's silly, but these things get ingrained in you....

karol

Foofoogal

Banned
I was determined that I would not go into church with no panties on

Now that is the funniest part of this thread. lol
I know the feeling.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Girl Friday said:
See this is the thing, I understand not wanting VPLs (Visible panty lines), I used to wear thong undies, but it always looks like your backside is eating your pants :eusa_doh: and with skirts...well, there are stairways, and clumsiness that make me want to be sure and have skivies on, the kind that really cover! My personal favorite are boy shorts, truely the best of both worlds, no VPLs and no eating the pants!

I personally like clothes, and under clothes, and comfort is key! So whatever makes you comfortable, that is what is really important.

EATING YOUR PANTS?!! What do you mean? lol As far as I'm concerned boyshorts are a far worse offender with panty lines than regular panties are (which is why I wear thongs) because boyshorts are usually low rise, so there's an underwear line at the top hip area AND a line across the bum. I've never thought them to be invisible.

GOK

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
Also, I guess the words from my mother when I was young are just a part of me: she, a child of the depression, always told me to wear clean underwear that had no holes. "What," she said, "would you feel like in an emergency when the medical people see you have on old, ugly underwear?"

I know, it's silly, but these things get ingrained in you....

They do, which is why (when I do wear knickers!) I always make sure I am wearing matching lingerie. I'm sure this stems from my grandmother drumming it into me! lol

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
EATING YOUR PANTS?!! What do you mean?

Hungry bum! lol

If you wear certain styles of knickers with certain items of clothing, your bottom will gobble up the fabric! :eek: Try wearing a full circle dress/crin petticoat combo with a thong.....NOT! Ouchy and incredibly uncomfortable!

As far as I'm concerned boyshorts are a far worse offender with panty lines than regular panties are (which is why I wear thongs) because boyshorts are usually low rise, so there's an underwear line at the top hip area AND a line across the bum. I've never thought them to be invisible.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Boyshorts are fine for those with perfect supermodel figures, clad in non-figure hugging outfits (but even then I'm still dubious) but for the rest of us mortals....:(

Tap pants/French knickers are great under full dresses and skirts. Ditto big bum knickers. But thongs (the kind that come to the waistline, covering the bellybutton) are the only clothed option - as far as I am concerned - for trousers (I don't wear jeans).

:eek:fftopic: I discovered Himself hates tap pants :( What's to hate? They are feminine, made from lovely soft satin and are flattering. But then he also hates big bum knickers (even my high leg ones), girdles and bullet bras. I told him he has three choices; I can diet like a mad thing and go to the gym to achieve a perfect figure, thus spending very little time with him. Or I can forego the shapewear and look like a sack of potatoes...and I might as well go the whole hog and do the muffin top thing too. Or he could just not look when I get undressed and accept that if he wants a perfectly turned out woman, there is a price to pay.

:rage:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
the girdles, I'm suprised he doesn't like them! Most men consider them extremely sexy! tap pants I'm still getting used to, their just a lot more fabric than I'm used to and havent' been able to find a comfy pair.
pant huggers; lol reminds me of the ol' comment we'd make through high school with girls having this exact problem; camel toes.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
tap pants; I apologize for lack of picture...it just kept showing the pic address:rolleyes: thier generally made of silk, have an elastic waist and go to about the upper thighs.
And don't worry, there are no dumb questions in here! I'm glad you asked!

GOK

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
the girdles, I'm suprised he doesn't like them! Most men consider them extremely sexy!

He says I look like his granny. What I'd like to know is, did he ever see his granny undressed? :rolleyes: lol

tap pants I'm still getting used to, their just a lot more fabric than I'm used to and havent' been able to find a comfy pair.

You should make them yourself!

pant huggers; lol reminds me of the ol' comment we'd make through high school with girls having this exact problem; camel toes.

Ewwwww - you have such a way with words, lady! lol

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
I was determined that I would not go into church with no panties on

Now that is the funniest part of this thread. lol
I know the feeling.

I know I said I go commando, however when I have had to go to chruch I would wear something. I could not go in with out any. Then I would feel "dirty".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ