Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a vivid memory????

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My dad landed in France in a glider in WWII. I can't imagine what he went through, but I grew up watching him manage his PTSD with beer and Crown. He worked every day and drank every night. He was honest and beat his values into me. I've spent a lot of years and money dealing with those early experiences and unfortunately good people have become collateral damage. But, in retrospect I learned a lot from him and had I been open to it, I could have learned much more. I'd give anything to still have his worn fedora.

My Dad may have towed your Dads glider. He was in the 9th Air Force C-47s. Looking back, now that I know about PTSD, my Dad and all his friends and relatives that were there had it. Only one of my Dads friends didn't drink, he retired as an Lc. He was shrewd, new to stay sober and watch the other officers get drunk, then use it to his advantage! I think that conniving may have been a different form of PTSD!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Any vivid memories of your own Newsboy Days??????

I have vivid memories when I was very young.
I remember the house where my grandparents lived & the placement of the furniture.
I remember a man with white hair lying on a cot in the garage.
I mentioned this to my mother in later years.

She told me that was her father who would sleep in the garage during the summer days.

She asked me, "how did you know about this, I never mentioned it to you ? "

I told her that I remembered him playing with me.

Later I found out the date my grandfather had passed away.

I was 1 1/2 years old.

My mom told me that her father considered me his favorite.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have this vivid memory of my grandfather in Los Angeles taking my cousin and I to the park as children in his truck. He handed us the bag of jelly beans he kept in his car and told us to take one, while UB40's "Red Red Wine" was playing on the radio. I remember this mental image of crushing grapes with my feet to make wine (because of the song).

I'm laughing out loud knowing this is an absolutely ridiculous thing to mention here, but for some reason it's a VERY vivid memory!

lol

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have this vivid memory of my grandfather in Los Angeles taking my cousin and I to the park as children in his truck. He handed us the bag of jelly beans he kept in his car and told us to take one, while UB40's "Red Red Wine" was playing on the radio. I remember this mental image of crushing grapes with my feet to make wine (because of the song).

I'm laughing out loud knowing this is an absolutely ridiculous thing to mention here, but for some reason it's a VERY vivid memory!

lol

It's nice to recall something nice!
Not all vivid memories have to be depressing !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn