Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Years? What time period do you follow?

Jack Armstrong

Familiar Face
CharlieH. said:
I'm quite fond of the period between 1925 and 1950, especially when it comes to music. However I'm especially fond of the year 1939- That little paradise sandwiched between the depression and WWII. There's something strangely alluring about that particular year that I can't really describe (and it ain't just the world's fair!).

You're right, Charlie. My own favorite period spans 1938 to the very last act of the Golden Era, 1955. But I agree about 1939 being special -- it's as if the world was holding its breath between what was and what would be. The Depression was over, but WWII hadn't yet started, at least here in America. It's the best of the High Thirties and the wartime Swing Era, all in a single year.

The WWI generation probably felt the same way about 1914.

Hondo

One Too Many
Art Deco

Maj.Nick Danger said:
1935 -1945.
Love the clothes, the architecture, the dames, the cars, the movies, the dames, the comedy, the music, the dames, art deco,...and oh yeah. Did I mention the dames?

Defiantly 1935 -1945, what an era, art d?©cor, war planes, ships, clothes styles, music, Hollywood movies, you said it all :)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
1938-1939...before the US got into the war. Everything from that time works for me - the music, the books, the movies, and of course, the clothes.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
1933 - The Year Doc Savage was born

Here's something I just read in the new reprints of the old Doc Savage pulps (available at Borders or Amazon.com) about the year Doc first came out.

The great pulp expert Will Murray writes that "The Man of Bronze" hit newsstands on Feb 17, 1933. Other things that happened that year were:

FDR declared a "Bank Holiday" averting financial disaster
First technicolor film , The Mystery of the Wax Musuem" preimered
Top box office star was Clark Gable
Long Ranger radio show debuted nationally
Blondie finally married Dagwood
Alley Oop joined the funny pages
Detective Nick Carter was revived in the pulps
Raymond Chandler wrote his first story
Earl Stanley Gardner published first Perry Mason story
Japan quit League of Nations

What a year - 1933!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Personally, the years that have the most meaning for me are:

1949 -- I was seven and enjoyed my childhood, decided I liked being seven. I also finally understood the meaning of the progression of time (I thought it would be 1949 forever, until one day mother told me it was 1950). Cars were beginning to be more interesting, too.

1952 -- I was ten and enjoyed my childhood, decided I liked being ten. I wanted to age no more than 12, wanted to be a perennial Peter Pan. Cars were even cooler.

1959 -- A year of big cars! I had leading roles in two plays that year (in high school) and decided to go to drama school.

1960 - Enjoyed dramatics in college, liked my classmates, campaigned for Kennedy. End of the Golden Era, but not the end of mine.

1966-1969 Summer stock. Good roles, enjoyed the summer theatre. In
1967, went to graduate school at Iowa U, learned and grew in ways that were unimaginable a year or two earlier. Late in 1969, moved to NYC and left the theatre behind.

1972 -- Was a street fighting woman on the streets of NYC, great changes in society, I was a part of it. The beginning of a lifetime of social activism.

1983 -- Moved to San Diego, as I did not want to grow old in NY. Lots of new friends, activities.

1986 was the end of my Golden Era, after that I worked hard, aged, lost a lot of friends (moved, died) and headed back into social activism as a union steward, giving speeches, and performance art. Drama degree not such a bad idea after all....

karol

Nashoba

One Too Many
I would say I gravitate toward 1939 - 1945...pretty much the war years. I have a lot in common with those women on the homefront. There was so much sacrifice then and it brings me comfort to place myself in that time as much as I can. In an odd sort of way I suppose. I look around today and I wish that people understood better the sacrifices made (not the people here of course, I think most of the people here have a unique understanding and appreciation). Maybe this is the sight through rose colored glasses talking but it seemed that back then people were united in a common cause and everyone drew strength from that. I just don't see that today and it makes me sad. I know that probably sounds odd but then I'm an odd gal.

It's a bit difficult for me to narrow it down to a decade, but, I feel some sort of connection to the 20s through the 50s. I would say the 30s and 40s are the strongest connections to me. Someone else mentioned a sort of "Deja Vu" feeling, as if they'd been there. I think that's a good way to describe it, I have the same feeling. Most of the time, I don't talk about it with everyday people because they may think I'm crazy lol But I know you guys here at the lounge understand :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I really don't know how I missed this

1946 is my favorite year.
All the great stuff from the 1930s and 40s are around, the war is over and it is just before things turn to sludge.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I am not too knowledgable of the year to year histories. Movie wise, I am definitely a 1945+ guy, especially movies made right after the war ended.

I am partial to Hollywood in the 30's. That Nathaniel West Day of the Locust / Dos Passos The Big Money type Hollywood dreaming and endless opportunity of a new LA. + The Garden of Allah and the rest of Lost Hollywood. But I don't know any dates.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
1890-1918
This is just where I have always found the strongest connection to. I love everything, the fashion, the society, the innovations, the vehicles, the architecture, the politics, the literature, the films. Everything was coming alive, bursting with fresh ideas, but still clinging to the comforting familiarity of the past. Those years are essentially perfect to me.

Technonut

Practically Family
I would have to say from 1930 to 1957. It would have been interesting to have actually experienced the depression, war years, victory, the post-war years. and on into 1957. I feel it built a lot of character and fortitude into people that does not exist today....

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'd follow you on the character building bit thru the end of the 40s and pick it up again around 1954 (the year Tailgunner Joe went down in flames and Brown v. Board of Ed went on the books - two things that really took character to get accomplished).

The years 1950-53 left the moral fiber of America badly singed in a lot of ways. What it meant to be an American was defined ever more narrowly. Under the pretext of finding commies - whom there were damn few of, honestly - we put the hammer down on a lot of the best values of a free society.

Note: Here I use character, moral fiber, and values in a broad 20th-century sense, now somewhat outdated.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I dig a wide time span... 1941-1963. It all depends on what I am dealing with; home decor, my clothes, music, etc... I like different things from different eras within that span. I don't have the frame to pull off the great 40's suits, so I go more with the bowling shirt and stingy brim look. I do, however, have a cool white-jacket tux that is about to go into the tailor shop.

I guess I like the rat-pack, loungy type of thing, but I still have a love for older stuff, too. It's just that it's not my "niche" within the vintage world.

BTW: Nashoba, I hope this comes out right, but I kinda like your old avatar. You pull off the vintage look so well, plus it honors your husband in a cool way.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm . . . I kind of like the 6th century BC, and the 1650's, and, oh well.
Every era has its fascination. I like the music of the 1936 to 1945 period, because that's the real peak of Swing. In men's fashion, I'm still learning, but I like the early to mid 30's. In architecture I like Queen Anne and Greek Revival.
In cars, I like the 1941 Buick Century, four door model, black on the bottom and silver on top.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
The Truman/Eisenhower Years (1945-1960).

People still had a flare for style. Men dressed liked men, and women dressed like women ala Ward and June Cleaver.
Motion picture studios were still being run by the greats (Louis B. Mayer, Jack Warner, Samuel Goldwyn, Adolph Zucker, and Harry Cohn).
Television and Suburbia were in their infancies.
Music underwent a metamorphosis from Big Band to RockNRoll.
Autos went from post-war drab to chrome plated space age beauties.
And the "malt shop" was still the in place to hang out!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
My "golden era" is about 1875-1918. 1918-45 is a "silver era." 1945-1965 is rapidly tarnishing "bronze."

If I had to pick one year to live in, I would say 1912.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo