Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Years? What time period do you follow?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Your Favourite Years?

We all love the Golden Era, but I'm pretty sure most of us have a favourite specific time frame within the Golden Era that we love the most. What is your favourite time frame? It could be one specific year, 2, 5, or even 10! Try to keep it within 10 (if you can!) and tell us why you find that specific era irresistable.

I'll start.

I like a little bit of everything from the 1910s to the 1960s, but my heart belongs to those years spanning 1927 to 1937. I'm a big fan of movies and I think the movies made the most interesting changes during this time period. We went from silent to sound to raunchy to puritanical in this short period. I find that most of my favourite films were made between 1927 and 1934, to be exact!

I also adore the fashions more during this time than any other era. I LOVE tight, perfect Marcel waves and wish I could do my hair in one every single day. I also prefer the high-waisted, hip-skimming look of the dresses. Ruffles, OTT furs, cloche hats, art deco accents, thin eyebrows, cupid's bow lips -- every single one of these things makes me drool!

I'm also fascinated with anything that has to do with the Depression. I often wonder what it was like to live during such a disaster. The only first-hand accounts I have of the Depression are mushy letters from my grandparents! I guess the Depression didn't put a damper on their love for one another!

So, what is your very favourite specific time span within the Golden Era and why?

Forgive me if this topic has been brought up before, but I did a serach for "Favorite Years," looked back quite a few pages and didn't see anything that resembled it!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm pretty much a thirties kind of gal myself -- fashionwise I lean toward the '38-'41 era, more because I look best in those styles than anything else, but pop-culture wise you and I have an awful lot in common! I'm very fond of early talkie/pre-code films, but I think radio and music reached a particular peak in 1937 -- so many interesting things were being done, and none of them had settled yet into cliche.

My grandparents were Depression people, and it was thru them that I first really became aware of the period. They were extremely poor during those years and the experience marked them for the rest of their lives. In particular my grandmother became obsessed with saving things -- housewares, clothes, you name it, so much so that when I was a baby I actually wore some of my mother's hand-me-downs! (So you see what I mean when I say I've been doing this all my life...)

Mojito

One Too Many
I'm firmly Post WWI, up to the stock market crash (although I do have a fondness for the Belle Epoque and WWI in terms of history, particularly the British mercantile marine and great liners like the White Star Line's Oceanic II). Say 1919 - 1929. My great-Uncle and Aunt were NSW Charleston champions, my paternal grandmother travelled in the US during the prohibition era and had great recollections of the booze flowing regardless, and my maternal grandmother had her hair bobbed as soon as it came in, regardless of what her small mountain town thought of it. Jazz, fashion illustration, the great designers, the literature, the cocktails...

I've always said I didn't want to live then (there was a dark side as well to those years), but I'd love to be at one brilliant New Year's Eve Party in New York as midnight ticked over to 1927. Stylewise, I tend to dither over what I like best...the 1922 season is highly appealing, but then I fall in love with some of those great dance length dresses in about 1925 - 1927 - what they must have looked like in colour and motion!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
My favorite years of life and events are those between the wars 1919 - 1938.

For music 1927 - 1937.

Nostalgia for the past is very strong in me,......"Nostalgia is looking at the past with rose coloured glasses. Put them on and you filter out the disappointments and all the sadness. The unpleasant becomes pleasant. And why not? The past cannot touch us any more. It's gone. We can afford to see it in a generous light...."

Past, Present and Future is Now. (for me at least ;) )

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My favorite years were not these:

Wonder_Years.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Oh c'mon Marc, you mean the wonder years didn't bring back memories of a Big Wheel, and striped bell bottom pants with a wide white belt?lol Good Lord, that blouse the mother has on; it reminds me of the wallpaper in my friends kitchen when I was a kid.

I would have to say I'm partial to the time frame January 1953 to January 1961. Not Golden Era, but Fabulous Fifties.:eusa_clap

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I'd have to say '35 to '45. Specifically the war years. I can't think of any greater honor than serving. Back when men were made of iron.
I like to spend time at the American Legion fort here and I'll tell you what, those guys are incredible. After so much they're still so full of energy, they're just as interested in you as you are them!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I'm quite fond of the period between 1925 and 1950, especially when it comes to music. However I'm especially fond of the year 1939- That little paradise sandwiched between the depression and WWII. There's something strangely alluring about that particular year that I can't really describe (and it ain't just the world's fair!).

Jerekson

One Too Many
I don't have a whole lot of historical intellect, so I can't entirely be sure. I should research some more.

But I'm most definitely thinking 1935 was a good year.

-"Monopoly" is introduced to the U.S. by Parker Bros.
-Howard Hughes sets the world land-speed record in his H-1.
-World's first parking meters! Yay!
-The China Clipper flies.
-The Hoover Dam is completed.
-Peter boyle is born

-Um...the HATS!

-Oh, and let's not forget Temple Of Doom!!!

:D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Summer 1940 in England. Battle of Britain. Must have been something!
Summer to winter 1945. War is over. (I am born)

....hey, did I just say that? Does that makes me into a Golden Era Item?:eusa_doh:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Favorite year?

Well, for the last several years I've been absorbed in British history from Lord Salisbury (1890's) thru McMillan (1967), especially the between the wars years (Winston!!!). But the previous comment about 1939 hits home. The last year before it all caved in (except for China and Ethiopia and Czechoslovakia, who were already engulfed). My mother was between sophomore and junior years in college and didn't have a summer job, so she spent her time between Ebbetts Field and the NY World's Fair. Sounds charming. I think I like the clothes and especially the music of the year. That's when Glenn Miller hit it big. Yeah, 1939.
Spitfire: I was born in 46, so that definitely makes me a war byproduct.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
favourite year?

Has to be the 40s for me. Although born just after it in 53, I just sometimes feel I was there, in a deja vu sort of way, if that makes any sense.

June

Familiar Face

After my mother died several years ago, I found her diary from 1944-the year she was fourteen. It was filled with typical teenage girl thoughts about boys, school, etc. But it also had much about WWII-her older brother going over to Europe with the Army; seeing patriotic wartime movies; being in awe of the soldiers and sailors she saw in her small town. She also mentioned a young man from her community who was killed during the Battle of Normandy. When I reread her diary a couple of years ago, I decided to research his service which in turn led to lots of reading on the Battle of Normandy and the 29th Infantry Division. This led me to the WWII Weekend in Reading last year and eventually to the Lounge. Thanks, Mom.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I have pondered this very question from time to time. I've always believed that I was born one full lifetime too late. I think that I should have been winding up a long and happy life in the mid-nineteen-fifties---about the time that I actually arrived here on earth.

It isn't so much any historical event that attracts me to the first half of the twentieth century. And it isn't any particular institution, like the music, or the art or the architecture from that era. It is more just the rhythm of life that existed then---especially here in the South. Its odd, but I sometimes miss that slower, more courtly and less material existance, even though I never really knew it.

Atticus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran