Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you say Goodbye on the 'phone?

For most conversations I use some type of closing statement. "Goodbye, so long, see you later, talk to you later, have a good one" or something along those lines. Also part of the "intonation" that helps signify that it is the closer of the conversation.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
So when these certain long-winded relatives ring, I get some-one in the house to use their cell phone to ring my landline so that the Call Waiting beeps are heard and they let me go.

Way back before there were cell phones or even call waiting, I used to get away from such talkers by suddenly saying "Oops, the phone's ringing, gotta go!" Invariably they'd say something like "Oh, OK, bye!" and hang up. :D Never had anyone call me on it, either...

Cheers,
Tom

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
It's always bugged me when they hang up in the movies without a goodbye. Does anyone know a scriptwriter we can ask?

When I get a call from a friend, I can see by the Caller I.D. and say something like "Hello, Blocked Name, I know it's you" or "Hey, hey" but when it's business it's just boring "Hello".

It's "Goodbye" for business calls but for personal, it's "Okay, bye now".

Berlin

Practically Family
In the Netherlands we do say goodbye on the phone. It's considered rude if you don't.
But then... you asked the Americans...not the dutchies :p

I did wondered about the question aswell when watching American movies tho...

davidraphael

Practically Family
Not saying goodbye on the phone is a TV/movie trope.

Screenwriters usually don't like to waste time with greetings and small talk in a scene - it's considered dead drama - they want to get to the nub/crux of the scene as soon as possible.

There are lots of odd TV tropes that have come about for the same reason: For example, have you noticed that no one ever locks their front doors in US TV sitcoms? Friends and family just walk in; they don't even knock. If you had characters knocking... and then waiting for the door to be opened ....and then general mutual greetings you'd lose valuable dramatic time (and bore the audience in the process).

davidraphael

Practically Family
I wonder what the wacky eccentrics think of *their* neighbors?
They think that their neighbours are also harebrained eccentrics!

" Everyone is necessarily the hero of his own life story" - John Barth

or, more cynically,

"Hell is other people" - Sartre

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
For example, have you noticed that no one ever locks their front doors in US TV sitcoms?

What irks me the most about these small omissions in TV are when women run away from places, and don't take their purse. How could you leave your purse behind? Your whole life is in there!

On topic, I always say "goodbye" or some form thereof on the telephone, business and personal. Its just automatic. Does anyone ever find that your parting phrases become too automatic at times, though? For example, at work, people I talk to on the phone will usually say "Thank-you" to me, and I of course respond with "you're welcome." Sometimes, though, I say "you're welcome" before the person has even thanked me lol

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
'You're welcome,' or 'you are welcome' doesn't even seem to fit with 'thank you,' unless when used for welcoming people into your home.

Guest: 'Thank you (for letting me into your home).

Host: You are welcome (into my home).

Is this the origin of the 'thank you/you're welcome' relationship?

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread. When did "No problem" replace "You're welcome" as the response to "Thank you"? When did "issue" replace the word "problem"?

No movie motorcyclist has ever strapped his helmet.

If you ever need to hang up on someone but don't want to appear rude, hang up WHILE you are talking. Since no one would hang up on themselves, the other party will assume the phone died.

davidraphael

Practically Family
Sometimes, though, I say "you're welcome" before the person has even thanked me

I think that is testimony to your generosity of spirit.

'You're welcome' comes from the old English 'wil-cume' which literally means 'I am pleased that you arrived well'.

Many languages still have this literal construction and instead of 'you're welcome' they actually just use that language's word for 'please'.
Take German:
Can I have a hat please?
is
Kann ich einen Hut bitte??

That 'bitte/please' is also used a 'you're welcome'

ie,
person A: Danke (thank you)
person B: Bitte (please)

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I think that is testimony to your generosity of spirit.

'You're welcome' comes from the old English 'wil-cume' which literally means 'I am pleased that you arrived well'.

That is kind of you to say :) I always kick myself when I do it, though, for presuming the person would thank me.

Thanks for explaining the origins of "you're welcome," I hadn't known about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR