Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you say Goodbye on the 'phone?

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
"Over and out" is also from the movies. "Over" means it is the other person's time to transmit. "Out" means ending transmission. Combining them is nonsense.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I say "Hello" and "Bye" always. Might be in a different language, but always a variaton of hello/bye etc..

It's always funny when a friend calls and I answer with the phrase "Bonjour" . It's always followed by a long pause! lol

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
Yeah, and I'll say "affirmative" and "negative" instead of "yes" and "no". Military jargon.

When I was a child one of my neighbours, who had obviously served in the military at some point in the past, used to say things like that all the time.

The one thing he also used to say whenever he made some sort of error was 'As you were!'

I remember him saying this whilst talking to a group of adults at a Christmas gathering in my parents home. Even though I was only 7 or 8 at the time I knew that that kind of language was weird.

He was certainly one of the neighbours the children avoided if we could.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
My husband is an air traffic controller so phone conversations are a little strange sometimes! He used the phonetic alphabet if spelling things out on the phone and iIf he makes an error he just says tersley 'disregard'!

davidraphael

Practically Family
In Germany with my inlaws the standard sign off seems to be:

Person A: Machts Gut ('you take care')
Person B: Machts Besser! ( 'you take care even more so')

That's how we do it. Then again, my buddies and I still have CB's in our vehicles. The trucker fad has lasted decades longer here, than in most places.

That only works when said in a thick, fake Kentucky accent by a citzens-band radio fadster in 1976. And must be followed immediately by "good buddy."

My sister shares a Netflix account with a friend and he was hassling her, because when he reviewed his account, she had watched Smokey and the Bandit 5 times that week lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot