Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do your best/worst!

Amelie

A-List Customer
worst :
(from a really good friend of mine)" I usually like what you wear but... that hat is absolutely hideous. I can't see how people can like it" (about a brown cloche with felt flowers)

from a girl working in a store some days after halloween: You have a very nice Halloween costume! (she was quite embarrased when I told her that my petticoat wasn't part of any costume)

oddest (recurrent) "Wow! Thats awesome (about the petticoat)! Errr, can I look underneath?" (from my mom, sister, grandmother, coworkers, friends (girls/boys), not very known people...)

best:
I am still trying to figure out which one it could be, even though I usually have a lot of compliments..

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
At my cousine's wedding a lady from her husbands side, who I'd never met walked up to me and said " we were just talking about your lovely dress, you look wonderful"
It was a plain black, almost floor length with rhinestone straps in back, I beamed for the rest of the night.

I don't know what the worst is yet.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
For some reason customers at my dad's uniform store always ask "where's that nicely dressed man?"

My dad said he says, "oh that's my son"

They say, "did he get that from you?"

My dad said he laughs and says "no"

As opposed to worse, who cares whether people call me Inspector Gadget, Indiana Jones or Al Capone! At least they know the type of clothes they wore. :p

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Best: "Hey, I'm not trying to say you is nasty or anything, but you look like Dita Von Teese! You're like Greta Garbo or Betty Grable or somethin'..." He may have named 3 totally different looking people, but considering I was dressed in my everyday clothes and this regular joe got the look was going for certainly made me feel good! I also like how he was trying not to offend me by likening me to Dita. Obviously he didn't know that she's my role model! ;)

Worst: "Are you trying to be a pirate?", when I was wearing my hair up in a bandana Rosie the Riveter style. I just smiled and said "Of course!"

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Just about all of my friends are into rockabilly and have the "greaser" look, including my husband. One time me & my husband and two of our rockabilly friends were driving up the New Jersey Turnpike and a woman at a tollboth asked us "Is there some sort of Grease convention going on? This is like the 5th car I've seen today with people who look like you! It is a Grease thing, right?"

Our friend Mark, who was driving, just laughed and said "Yea! It's a Grease thing!" We all burst out laughing at this poor girl and she didn't even realise we were laughing at her.

My husband has a bit of a greaser look and our neighbours call him "Johnny Bravo." Not in a bad way, though. Also, I was dressed kind of 50s-esque one day and someone in a shop asked us if we were going to the sock-hop! Again, it wasn't in a bad way. I think we might get more good comments than bad, come to think of it. The worst comments come from my own family :(

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I've had two more best compliments since I last posted in this thread. It's a toss up between:

"Now I'm an old codger, but I'll tell you something. They didn't make them like you back then in the 50s!"

Reading that back, at least I think it was a compliment! It was said with a smile and wink!

Also, while attending a fancy-pants London Fashion Week party hosted by Petra Nemkova or whatever her name is, I was just wearing a Stop Staring dress as didn't want to take my proper vintage to work, at least 4 different (I think gay) men came over and told me how much they loved my look, one said "You have the best look of anyone in this party" :eek:

Worst since then, mostly looks of disgust from chavvy teens, and I got called Cruella DeVille in the supermarket not long ago, when I had my bleached blonde streak in the front of my hair!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Also, while attending a fancy-pants London Fashion Week party hosted by Petra Nemkova or whatever her name is, I was just wearing a Stop Staring dress as didn't want to take my proper vintage to work, at least 4 different (I think gay) men came over and told me how much they loved my look, one said "You have the best look of anyone in this party" :eek:

How cute! I went to a Christmas party with my parents this past Christmas and the couple hosting it was gay, as were a lot of the people at the party. I've never recieved so many compliments on my vintage clothing in my life! It was kind of overwhelming! ;)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
magneto said:
Worst: The worst, I think, is actually non-verbal: I mean the "lip curled, eye-rolling, oh-you-are-such-a-dork, I can't believe you're wearing that ugly old crap and not 1-foot-too-long flithy bell-bottoms dragging in the street filth like I (the Paris Hilton clone champ of Marin County) am" looks from younger females.

But they look at ALL adults that way, regardless of what they're wearing! Don't take it personally at all....with good luck, they'll become human again some day.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
I get the occasional - Hey, Dita Von Teese!

i'm pretty sure thats a good thing but i always think " oh, i was thinking more rita hayworth"

pigeon toe

One Too Many
magneto said:
Worst: The worst, I think, is actually non-verbal: I mean the "lip curled, eye-rolling, oh-you-are-such-a-dork, I can't believe you're wearing that ugly old crap and not 1-foot-too-long flithy bell-bottoms dragging in the street filth like I (the Paris Hilton clone champ of Marin County) am" looks from younger females.

Marin! Hey now, I'm from Marin, so we're not all poorly dressed and evil (though, I will admit, the majority are)! ;)

Miss Match

New in Town
The best compliment I've ever gotten was at a faculty formal, wearing a floor length black gown, opera length satin gloves and my grandmother's pearls, and an elderly Italian bartender kept saying I reminded him of someone. After I had returned a few times to get drinks, he snapped his fingers and said "I know it now! Miss Sophia Loren!"

I was going for Audrey Hepburn that night, but I'll take it :)

The worst is from a friend of mine when I wear my brown felt fedora. He flips up the brim in the front and says I look like a Yukon gold miner.

(ps. This is my first post here, though I've been lurking for a few weeks now. Hello!)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
A Yukon Gold Miner!?!!? :eusa_doh: I'm still looking for my perfect fedora, but I'm sure I'll take my fair share of razzing when I do...

Welcome to the lounge by the way!:)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I have had some really nice comments, but nothing that particularly sticks in the mind, appart from before Christmas my boyfriend and I met with two of our female friends at the American Bar at The Savoy here in London.

He was in vintage black tie and all three of us girls were in original 1930s evening dresses, shoes etc. Nothing too outrageous or flashy to the modern eye. The Head Waiter/Bartender, an older chap, came up and said we looked fantastic and it was so nice to see people really dressed up. That made our night.

Later at the restaurant we also were complimented by the staff, and then in the nightclub the ladies at the next table admired us too. So it was a good night all round, especially the getting home at 7am!

GOK

One Too Many
Sweetest: "Mummy, that's the prettiest lady I have ever seen in my life" (he was about four years old!)

Vilest: "F***ing sl**", followed by an attempt to spit on me. The person in question was apparently in his cups....a practice I suspect he made a habit of quite frequently.

Funniest: "Oh, how cool - you've dressed up!" (as I handed my cinema ticket to the usher. The film? Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!)

lol

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Sweetest: "Mummy, that's the prettiest lady I have ever seen in my life" (he was about four years old!)

I love it when little kids comment--it's so neat to see how observant they can be. I recently had a woman stop her car to tell me her three-year-old said "Mommy, she's hot!" lol

And at the soda fountain I work at, a boy of about eight eating lunch with his grandmother said very matter of factly "You're old fashioned aren't you. I like it!"

GOK

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
I love it when little kids comment--it's so neat to see how observant they can be. I recently had a woman stop her car to tell me her three-year-old said "Mommy, she's hot!" lol

Awwww that's so fab! And how lovely of the woman to stop and tell you too. I bet you were so chuffed! :D

When I was teaching, one of the reception year boys (he was almost five) took my hand and told me I looked like "The most gorgeous lady in the world". I smiled and asked who he was talking about, thinking he was going to say his mother. He threw his arms around me, hugged me tight and exclaimed....

"Cruella de Ville. I think she's wonderful!"

:eek:

lol lol lol

Folly

One of the Regulars
GOK said:
When I was teaching, one of the reception year boys (he was almost five) took my hand and told me I looked like "The most gorgeous lady in the world". I smiled and asked who he was talking about, thinking he was going to say his mother. He threw his arms around me, hugged me tight and exclaimed....

"Cruella de Ville. I think she's wonderful!"

:eek:

lol lol lol

Awww, lol

I just remembered. I was walking home one day, dressed with a bit of a fifties vibe and a little girl walking with her mum, said as I approached her - "Mummy, that lady is so pretty!" which made me smile from ear to ear, but the smile was soon wiped from my face, when her mum snapped back at her, "Don't say that! She is not!"

:mad:

GOK

One Too Many
Folly said:
Awww, lol

I just remembered. I was walking home one day, dressed with a bit of a fifties vibe and a little girl walking with her mum, said as I approached her - "Mummy, that lady is so pretty!" which made me smile from ear to ear, but the smile was soon wiped from my face, when her mum snapped back at her, "Don't say that! She is not!"

:mad:

No way! :eek: Mean ol' moo...I bet she was just jealous - you're stunning! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot