Does Aero make the most `Period-Correct' B-3 Jacket?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by mattmiller1973, Sep 19, 2019.

1. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

The late Andrew Tinnion the owner of the Fenland Tannery told me personally that the relationship ended when there was a dispute over flaking top coat causing customers to ask to return jackets back to Eastman. The tannery refused to replace the batch of skins so the relationship ended. Some of these flakey jackets come up for sale occasionally.

HPA Rep likes this.
  2. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

Heres the zip ! It's _20140919_113338.JPG an Aero but not that Aero. This Aero used to make zips and knitting needles decades ago.
    Note the surface texture of the sheepskin...all wrinkled after years of age. Looks just like an original.

Kennyz and HPA Rep like this.
  3. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Anyone know why they can still get merino for the S.F.A.D. but not for the other jackets?

4. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

I have a sample pre time worn treatment, it is beautiful soft shiny wool just like on older jackets .

HPA Rep and Dav like this.
  5. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Vendor

I recall those jackets, John. I believe the tannery change was around 1992, but all I can really recall is having some issues with flaking in the early 1990's.

6. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Vendor

That would have to be posed to Gary. I don't know if it's about not be able to get the merino or that they chose not to. Maybe their source is not able to reliably supply the quantity they need for all other styles, maybe it's about cost, or maybe Gary doesn't want all jackets too be made from it since that surely would not be historically accurate.

Dav likes this.
  7. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Vendor

Super B-3, John! I recall these zippers. If I am seeing correctly, this has a wartime-style bell puller. If so, then either the puller is genuine vintage and added on or the jacket dates to between 1991-94. Also, I can see that the thread is not the stuff I supply, so this points to a jacket made before 1994. Gary would know best, but his use of brass wartime-style bell pullers took place after 1990 and before the summer of 1994.

8. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

Gary told me late 1980's before they had available Talon track. The track is an Aero

9. Juanito

Juanito One of the Regulars

What a coincidence...look what I just ran across stuffed in an old "Fighter Aces of the U.S.A" Book:

[​IMG]

HPA Rep likes this.
  10. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Vendor

Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle! That's a treasure. Thanks for sharing. I have sales records going back to the first purchase, so the store copy to this must be here. Totally forgot that the mahogany color didn't change to horse hide at the same time.

That B-3 in nice shape would sell today for more than you paid, I'd think.