Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone else hate the 'Regards' signature

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Or people who say 'yourself' when they mean simply 'you'.

Or "myself" when they mean "me." "The only people there were Mary and myself."

This is a classic case of "hypercorrection" -- a habit people tend to develop when they're insecure about their command of the language. They aren't sure what the correct word should be, so they use an inflated overwrought "hyper-correct" word just to be sure, because they assume the simpler form has to be wrong. You can learn an awful lot about someone's social class, their upbringing, and their personal insecurities by just listening to them talk for ten minutes. Try it some time when watching cable TV news.

Or "myself" when they mean "me." "The only people there were Mary and myself."

This is a classic case of "hypercorrection" -- a habit people tend to develop when they're insecure about their command of the language. They aren't sure what the correct word should be, so they use an inflated overwrought "hyper-correct" word just to be sure, because they assume the simpler form has to be wrong. You can learn an awful lot about someone's social class, their upbringing, and their personal insecurities by just listening to them talk for ten minutes. Try it some time when watching cable TV news.

What does it mean when they say "y'all git in the truck...we goin' up to the big house!"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Or people who use "female" to mean "woman" in the grasping hope that they won't offend someone, somehow.

That's cop-speak creeping into real talk. "A fifteen year old caucasian female individual was apprehended after exiting the retail establishment with unpurchased merchandise in her possession" is somehow preferable to "a fifteen year old white girl was caught shoplifting."

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Another thing that I find annoying is the use of the world "So" in the wrong context, for example when someone is being interviewed on the radio or television. When asked a question, the interviewee starts the the reply with "So", just to start off their reply, it just does not correct. Another thing that annoys me is when a Railway Station is called a train station, again to me it does not seem correct. These are perhaps me just being picky. Mind you my grammar and spelling is probably is not as good as it should be.
You would hate living in Minnesota. We are known for our "So then" sandwiches. For example, "So, ya goin to the grocery store then?"

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Regards is just so Blah!! cheers is also very blah too (I see it too much).

another thing I hate hearing, Usually in person is "Have a good one" used way to often by many factions, esp younger checkout people at various retail establishments.

"J"

Yes, I agree with you about the 'blah'! That more or less sums it up - although other contributors from the US have persuaded me to look much more kindly at it when it comes from Americans.

'Have a good one' has started over here. 'A good what?' I always want to say.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I still don't get why someone would be put off by using "female" to describe...a female.

"Female" is a biological designation, reducing the essence of the subject to her gender. A "woman" is a person, a female human being. It's got nothing to do with PC, and everything to do with precise use of language.

Would you say "I was out last night with a few of the males?"

Edward

Bartender
Yes, I agree with you about the 'blah'! That more or less sums it up - although other contributors from the US have persuaded me to look much more kindly at it when it comes from Americans.

'Have a good one' has started over here. 'A good what?' I always want to say.

I associate it with Clapton. He hates to be wished a good show, or good luck, or all the best right before a show - his people just say "Have a good one, Eric".

Edward

Bartender
"Female" is a biological designation, reducing the essence of the subject to her gender. A "woman" is a person, a female human being. It's got nothing to do with PC, and everything to do with precise use of language.

Tell you where it drives me up the wall: those airport signs for "Male Toilets" or "Female Toilets". Just how exactly does one sex a toilet??

I would not in such a colloquial manner, but I wouldn't say "I was out last night with a few of the men" either. Also, if someone described me as a "white male" (not that I've ever been the subject of a police bulletin...as far as you know), I would not take offense either. I just don't see using gender as a description as being all that offensive.

A male toilet hangs off the wall, a female toilet sits on the floor?

This is probably the last thing on your list of "What I Want To Know", but if I ever build what some call a "man cave", I'm going to have a urinal installed. Peeing standing up is one of, if not THE greatest thing about being male, and I want to celebrate it at every opportunity possible.

This is probably the last thing on your list of "What I Want To Know", but if I ever build what some call a "man cave", I'm going to have a urinal installed. Peeing standing up is one of, if not THE greatest thing about being male, and I want to celebrate it at every opportunity possible.

Would you have it located in a private room..or out in the open for a real public celebration to share your glee with everyone ? lol

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars

Be that as it may---not at all sure I agree..... the great pleasure of peeing standing up is the freedom to aim in a variety of directions and trajectories....a urinal would severely curtail this.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
piss_pot_c1800_01.jpg

Boys will be boys.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
and to illustrate your point you use an archetypal female symbol..... (or should I say " a symbol of a woman" ? )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav