Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone else hate the 'Regards' signature

Correct me if I'm wrong, but women are females, are they not?

u9y4amug.jpg

Uuummmmm.............

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Edward

Bartender
A male toilet hangs off the wall, a female toilet sits on the floor?

lol Maybe that's it... Sometimes I like to sit, though.... I must be gender-flexible! Well, I spent enough of my twenties and thirties in drag... ;)

This is probably the last thing on your list of "What I Want To Know", but if I ever build what some call a "man cave", I'm going to have a urinal installed. Peeing standing up is one of, if not THE greatest thing about being male, and I want to celebrate it at every opportunity possible.

Oh, I hear you there!

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Leaving aside arguments about whether biological deterninism is all the makes a woman, yes, women are females.

That said, it absolutely gets up my nose when a man (because the perpetrator of this linguistic crime is invariably a man) finds himself faced with the task of discussing things pertaining to women, and realizes that he is either speaking to a woman or a woman is listening.

It's at this point that tortured sentences such as "I was talking to a female the other day," or "I've known a lot of females who liked NASCAR," or "some females" start to be uttered. It's all a lot of stupid-sounding foolishment, because the speaker would never think to say "I was talking to a male in the office earlier," or "the males at the gym," or "the males I know play basketball."

It also does the handy job of reducing the woman (or women) to a collection of XX chromosomes. My dog is a female, one of my cats is a female, my first horse was a female. Not one of them was a woman, nor did they have the capacity to be so.

Leaving aside arguments about whether biological deterninism is all the makes a woman, yes, women are females.

That said, it absolutely gets up my nose when a man (because the perpetrator of this linguistic crime is invariably a man) finds himself faced with the task of discussing things pertaining to women, and realizes that he is either speaking to a woman or a woman is listening.

It's at this point that tortured sentences such as "I was talking to a female the other day," or "I've known a lot of females who liked NASCAR," or "some females" start to be uttered. It's all a lot of stupid-sounding foolishment, because the speaker would never think to say "I was talking to a male in the office earlier," or "the males at the gym," or "the males I know play basketball."

It also does the handy job of reducing the woman (or women) to a collection of XX chromosomes. My dog is a female, one of my cats is a female, my first horse was a female. Not one of them was a woman, nor did they have the capacity to be so.

This is why most young males no longer open doors.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Going back to the matter of grammar. When I was at school in the 1960s & 1970s, we were taught that when talking about oneself and another person we should say, for example, " Mary & I" Not "me and Mary" or "Mary & me", however now the latter seems to be the correct format. Any Comments?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You wouldn't say "There was no one there but I." So you would properly say "There was no one there but Mary and me." But you wouldn't say "Me went to the store." So you would properly say "Mary and I went to the store."

That's how I was taught by Mrs. Bagley, courtesy of Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, copyright 1958.

As far as all the men wanting to call women "females" are concerned, all I can think of when I hear that is this guy:

quark_1474470i.jpg

"Feee-males must know their place!"

Last edited:
Going back to the matter of grammar. When I was at school in the 1960s & 1970s, we were taught that when talking about oneself and another person we should say, for example, " Mary & I" Not "me and Mary" or "Mary & me", however now the latter seems to be the correct format. Any Comments?

It depends on the usage. "I" and "me" are both first person pronouns, but "I" is the subject form, and "me" is the object form. You would say "Mary and I went shopping", where the pronoun is the subject. But, you would say "the shop owner was very friendly to Mary and me", as the pronoun is the object. This is still a pretty hard and fast rule everywhere. You can verify the correct form by constructing the sentence without the "Mary and" part..."I went shopping" not "me went shopping" and "...friendly to me", not "...friendly to I".

"Mary and I are going to the movies."
"Would you like to go with Mary and me?"
Both are correct in their context, but would be incorrect if swapped around. There has always been a percentage of the population who would say "me and Mary". Maybe you notice it more now because there are more people now.
I'm sure it is also a nuance of the English language lost on non-native speakers. Have to let that case slide. I can functionally communicate in a few languages other than my own, but I'm sure my grammar is terrible.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
well, I've read thru all 15 pages and here's my thoughts. IMO, everything and I mean everything is about perceptions. More specifically misperceptions.

In my experience, two folks can experience the same exact thing, yet perceive it differently and form two competely different opinions about that same experience.

The things that we( meaning everyone) like or dislike are based on perceptions and misperceptions and we can reveal alot about ourselves by voicing these opinions.

That reminds me of a saying (which I purposely will paraphrase/alter) about it's one thing to think something, but when you voice it, the "cat's out of the bag". Another saying that I adhere to is, "what's more important, what I meant or how you took it?" That reveals what's more important to you( read that, where your head's at).

To the OP, I'm sure that your opinion would have been far less poignant without the attached story behind it. Or more specifically, your perception of it.

As one who has always had trouble with writing letters and written communication, I can empathize.

Because of the life I've had, it's very important to me that everyone say what they mean and mean what they say, but life has shown me that if we all truly said what we mean, this would be a very mean place.

The truth is, most folks are too self centered to really care about other folks, so I give ALOT of credit to anyone who's "trying to be polite". I have NO problem with any form of "Regards" from someone who really means," I couldn't care less about you, you're not on my Christmas list, I wouldn't stop and help you in the side of the road and I'll try to part you from your possessions( read that screw you) at every chance".

To reveal a bit about myself, I really dislike "sincerely", as I like to be the one to determine if a person is sincere or not. I'm suspect of "faithfully", for the same reason. I feel like I'm worth more than single letter contractions.

Ultimately, I believe that all communication should realistically and honestly reflect the relationship, it shouldn't be presumptuous or patronizing or pretentious.

Since learning more about our Muslim neighbors, I really like the the phrase "Peace, love and prosperity to you and yours", not only as a sign off, but as a greeting as well.

Btw, my pet peeve is loose and lose, imo, the most mistaken words on the internet.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
"Mary and I are going to the movies."
"Would you like to go with Mary and me?"
Both are correct in their context, but would be incorrect if swapped around. There has always been a percentage of the population who would say "me and Mary". Maybe you notice it more now because there are more people now.
I'm sure it is also a nuance of the English language lost on non-native speakers. Have to let that case slide. I can functionally communicate in a few languages other than my own, but I'm sure my grammar is terrible.

Thank you all for the above replies to my question. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24