Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone wear a sharkskin suit anymore?

senoreme

New in Town
I have been told by many men that these suits were great and basically worm in the 1960s. Are they fashionable today? What exactly were they made of? Where should a man purchase this type of suit? Thank you Fedora Lounge Family. You are all great!!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
senoreme said:
Does anyone wear a sharkskin suit anymore?

I have been told by many men that these suits were great and basically worm in the 1960s. Are they fashionable today? What exactly were they made of? Where should a man purchase this type of suit? Thank you Fedora Lounge Family. You are all great!!

Go to BrooksBrothers.com and run a search for sharkskin. You'll get a few examples of the current incarnation of sharkskin.

As for vintage sharkskin, just search ebay for some visual references.

Feraud

Bartender
davestlouis said:
Would you believe it is strictly prohibited in my employee dresscode? That and seersucker are the two suit no-no's at work.

Really?
Do you know why these two materials are specifically prohibited?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
senoreme said:
I have been told by many men that these suits were great and basically worm in the 1960s. Are they fashionable today? What exactly were they made of?
Sharkskin is a worsted wool, woven using contrasting colors forming a step pattern. It can be Rat Pack shiny or more muted depending on the colors and finishing used. The more muted grays are a staple of a businessman's wardrobe.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I had a brown/gold sharkskin suit back in the late 60's that I really liked - then. I don't know that it was Rat Pack Shiny, but it was shinier than most people would wear today. Not really what you'd call a conservative suit.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Feraud, I work in a large, VERY conservative mortuary, so I can see the seersucker prohibition, but I think that some sharkskin fabrics would be OK.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own a 3-piece sharskin black and white (looks gray from a distance). Unfortunately, I can't fit into it lately. Here's to more exercising!!

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I almost bought one last night

J.C. Penney has Sharkskin seperates on their racks right now. I didn't look too close but I believe they were fairly conservative looking.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Feraud, I work in a large, VERY conservative mortuary, so I can see the seersucker prohibition, but I think that some sharkskin fabrics would be OK.

I say this in a joking, yet very serious manner...

What do they jump you each morning as you come in and inspect your suit for sharkskin? [huh]

Wasn't the 1950's sharkskin different from that of the 60's?

Randy

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have never tried it, but I'm told that a blue shirt will land you a trip home, to change, as will a buttondown collar, so I'm not willing to try anything off-the-wall as far as my suits.

Vic

One of the Regulars
I do. I wear very early 60s sharkskin suits with shadow ties and winklepickers or chelsea boots. It was a popular look with The Ventures, Billy Fury, and many others...But I admittedly stole it from The Shadows.

Feraud

Bartender
Here is a loud one button affair.
DSC02759.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
One of my favorite suits is a three-piece gray sharkskin from Kohl’s. I had it tailored, and it’s pretty sharp except where she kinda munged the button placement on the vest.

-Dave

Zamyatin

New in Town
I would love that suit. I'd wear it with gold. Wouldn't want a wardrobe of just things like that, but it certainly makes a bold impression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy