Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone wear their hats tipped back?

Pduck

One of the Regulars
I've always felt more comfortable with my hat tipped back on my head. My family and friends, whose opinions I respect, say I look like I'm ready to go fishin' on the Mississippi when I do that. Being bald, it tends to emphasize my high forehead (which actually is so high that it goes to the back of my head). Non-the-less, I feel that tilting my head back conveys a more relaxed image, which fits my personality.

How do all of you wear your hats? Level, tipped forward, tipped back, at an angle kind of jaunty-like?

Picture19.png

Randal

Familiar Face
It depends. Sometimes I wear it tilted back, but most of the time I wear it pretty level with the sweatband about 1 to 1.5 in above my eyebrows...

Just wear it how it feels best...

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking about trying that style, but I don't think I'll tip it back that far, because I also have a high forehead and I don't think I could pull it off. I usually wear mine tilted to the right or left with the sweatband about an inch off my eyebrow.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
For me, it depends on the hat. With my brown stetson, I wear it above my eyebrows a bit tilted to either side. With my mystery 40's hat, its a bit small so I wear it tipped back, and a bit to the side depending on my mood or what im wearing.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
mine end up being tipped back a bit, enough so I can see without much of a shadow/overhang and tend to sit slightly to the left.

jpbales

Practically Family
I usually don't wear it tilted back unless I'm lounging around the house or wearing it in the car [huh] Whenever I do it, my girlfriend says I look silly and that she can't take me seriously. :p

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I tilt mine back when I feel like my forehead's starting to sweat too much, and I find myself doing it when I'm getting mad. Otherwise it's pretty well pulled down over my eyes.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
As for me, I push 'em back for a while when I'm outside. Kinda' gives the ol' forehead a break and allows it to breath a little. I think the 'back' look is cool but it's only about 10% of the time with me.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Just enough to show half of the vast landscape that is my forehead.

Unless it's raining, then I pull it down to sit on the level. I don't have a hat brimmed more than 2 1/4, and my face will get wet otherwise.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
"Level, tipped forward, tipped back, at an angle kind of jaunty-like?"

All of the above. I read someone, I believe it was Frank Sinatra, who said that the angle of your hat should indicate your mood.

If you want to be intimidating or off-putting. Pull it over your eyes.

If you're all business, but I little more open than the above, push it up the forehead a touch or two.

If you're off work having drinks with friends, hike it up your forehead.

I would never wear my hat as far back as that picture you show us; however, I've noticed that younger men - college aged - around Nashville wear their hats that way.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
It depends on the hat of the day and what mood I'm in ... I tried to do a Bogart once with a trench & a wide brim Stetson, I spied myself in the looking glass & burst out laughing.... I looked like a wannabe reject off the set of a bad espionage movie :eusa_doh: [huh] ... some can pull off that look while others just look silly lol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'm mainly a level hat wearer, but it's mostly a function of my head shape, I think. Very few hats feel comfortable tilted back on my head. It's airier, but the hat just sort of wobbles on me. But I would do it if it were comfortable. It looks more relaxed and would let my head breathe better. And I have lots of forehead to show, but I wouldn't let that stop me.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
About 0.5% of time I have the hat tipped back. The rest of the time I wear it quite far forwards both because I look better when I try to look sinister and because it stops the wind taking hold of it.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like my hats to sit level or slightly tilted back depending on the hat's fit and how low the brim snaps.

Pip

A-List Customer
Gilgamark said:
"Level, tipped forward, tipped back, at an angle kind of jaunty-like?"

All of the above. I read someone, I believe it was Frank Sinatra, who said that the angle of your hat should indicate your mood.

If you want to be intimidating or off-putting. Pull it over your eyes.

If you're all business, but I little more open than the above, push it up the forehead a touch or two.

If you're off work having drinks with friends, hike it up your forehead.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The way I wear my hat often reflects my mood, more often than not though it's on a slightly jaunty angle. A smidgen to one side and pushed back a little.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
When I first joined FL, I remember being impressed by the
"I wished I had, (or used) my wind trolley" stories :eek:
Our Church is on a street that should have been named Venturi
it really gusts out in front of there,
so I always wear mine pulled down to the right, only
putting it towards the back of my head when I'm doing my duties
around the Church at the end of services out of the sanctuary.

Cheers!
Fats
Eighty Eighth post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails