Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does it match my head?

armod

Familiar Face
my first hat was an akubra bogart and is my only hat to this day (aside from ballcaps and a navy uniform hat that I don't wear).

I was quick to get into shaping and adjusting but didn't like the length the tall, tapered crown gave to my already long face.

so I changed the shape again but this time went in a totally different direction.

here's my head.
6733_102486669761657_100000009732358_63167_4436417_n.jpg

and here's my new bash

4065611847_e4c43779b6.jpg
4066359798_b36c97d686.jpg
4066358942_48828cc663.jpg

do you think it works to match/balance my face shape or have I completely gone the wrong way here?

ukali1066

Practically Family
With that magnificent tash you could pull off many styles...you're a good looking guy and appear confident, some of the classier wide brimmed Western hats would look good, something like Val Kilmer wore as Doc Holliday

Silke

New in Town
I know you said you didn't like the height of the crown, but I can definitely see you wearing a top hat nicely haha.

Maybe it's because my brain is making connections to the movie Gangs of New York when it registers your moustache, which as has been said is great.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I know you said you didn't like the height of the crown, but I can definitely see you wearing a top hat nicely haha.

yeah, generally speaking, long faces demand tall crowns and vice versa. That's why people who wear porkpies often are more heavy-set. Believe it or not, tall hats make your face look shorter, short hats make your face look taller.

Basically, Armod, for your face shape, you need a relatively tall crown (your hat, believe it or not, is actually pretty short) with little to no taper. -M

armod

Familiar Face
so it wasn't the height it was the taper that was putting me off.

any way I can bash it to disguise the taper?

I'm partial to a pinch but I'd like to try one without

billyspew

One Too Many
You might try a diamond crease, but I don't know what it will do for it (and you). I agree with the above, you need a differently blocked hat.

I'd try a fed or a campdraft to stay loyal.

Love the 'tache (especially when waxed) by the way.

armod

Familiar Face
what should I consider with a new hat?

band:
wide, narrow, contrasting?

color:
I chose black because its neutral.
are there others that work with better with my coloring?

brim:
wide, stingy, snap, pencil roll, other?

billyspew said:
I'd try a fed or a campdraft to stay loyal.
there's no need to be loyal to a brand here.

I'd actually prefer going to an independent hatter or haberdasher for it if the price is reasonable

Mulceber

Practically Family
What do you mean independent hatter? Do you mean a custom hatter, or just a hat store?

If the former, yes, it would be more expensive - probably in the $300 range, although DEFINITELY worth it if you're willing to put the money into it. They'll also last a lifetime, so depending on who you are, this could be the thing to do.

If the latter, it would probably be about the same price as the hat you got now. -M

armod

Familiar Face
then I mean a hat store. I'm not in a position to be putting $300 down on a hat.

but I like to do business in places where I can go in, get advice and be recognized when I go in again.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First, as others have mentioned - top drawer moustache, my friend!

Reblocking and/or some heavy duty steaming should help. One side of the brim's flat, the other turns up. The taper's a little bothersome...as is the sort of a overly tall porkpie kind of something going on.

IMHO, I'd go back to square one. Reblocking and reshaping more as a classic fedora look might throw a completely different spin on it, and a spin for the better. It doesn't look...hideous...it's just like it's trying to look like something it's not, and something that doesn't exactly suit you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic