Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage make you look.... *older*?

martinsantos

Practically Family
I always had much more contact and friendship with older people, easier to talk. Maybe is this what your psychologist talked about. Everybody used to say that i was a "very mature" kid, considering my age. A secondary efect in liking vintage things?!

Derek WC

Banned
I am very often asked by freshmen at school if I am a teacher, even if they see my face. And I've been told by everyone else that I'm the most boring person they know (Which I have decided to take as a compliment).

martinsantos

Practically Family
Usually "boring people" are those folks who like to talk about things you don't want to chat about. For example, if I want to talk about Glenn Miller in a group of Nirvana fans, probably they won't like... and call me "boring" (exactly what happened with me at high school).

I am very often asked by freshmen at school if I am a teacher, even if they see my face. And I've been told by everyone else that I'm the most boring person they know (Which I have decided to take as a compliment).

I've always been told I was so 'mature' or 'polite' for my age. My folks say I've always been that way and was a young kid of 6 or so years old, holding intelligent conversations with adults, in their 50's or so. People always mistook me for a teacher, as early as 8th grade.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've always been told I was so 'mature' or 'polite' for my age. My folks say I've always been that way and was a young kid of 6 or so years old, holding intelligent conversations with adults, in their 50's or so. People always mistook me for a teacher, as early as 8th grade.

I think that's a good thing. It seems that you've embraced maturity early on, and some adults have still yet to do the same. I have actually been regarded as polite, well-mannered (mostly, in public at least) throughout childhood and adolescence as well. I have also been told that I'm intelligent, but their words, not mine. I would rather not pride myself with such virtue; it appears when it may. On another note, there has been a discussion regarding "good manners being vintage," or something to that effect.

My parents raised me to have manners. My mother always said 'when it's just the family, you can behave how ever you want, but in public, you always are on your best behavior.' She was always so proud when people would tell her that she had the most polite, well behaved kids.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I think that's a good thing. It seems that you've embraced maturity early on, and some adults have still yet to do the same. I have actually been regarded as polite, well-mannered (mostly, in public at least) throughout childhood and adolescence as well. I have also been told that I'm intelligent, but their words, not mine. I would rather not pride myself with such virtue; it appears when it may. On another note, there has been a discussion regarding "good manners being vintage," or something to that effect.

At the very least, vintage manners are vintage. I like to think that most people do what they think is acceptable no matter the era. I also think that good manners persist in about the same measure no matter the era, but only the definition of good changes. That's just me though. Cell phones, social media, the internet in general - changed the way we interact. I think for all the history that we've passed so far, manners always moved faster than technology, but now technology far outpaces manners, so it'll seem like a bumpy ride. People won't be able to rely on what folks did before, because today changes drastically by the year. To me, this is a good thing, but I can see why people would disagree.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I'm curious as to why you think this is a good thing?

Good question - almost requires a dissertation. I suppose the short answer is, when people get too comfortable in a way of doing things, they resist even the beneficial change. I think a world where there's no time to get too comfortable will keep the status quo from getting too entrenched. Essentially, when someone says, "This is how we do things," and I ask, "Why?" I hate hearing, "Just because". I spend my time picking and choosing the values I stand behind - they're always in flux. After all, I'm wrong a lot. But I'd rather be wrong than follow anything blindly. I want a world where people look at what they do and ask why.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think most of us can agree there are good changes, and there are bad changes. But as I'm pretty pessimistic, I don't see there being much improvement during this century. Without getting into politics, I believe that humanity as a whole has "overextended" itself.

Back to vintage making you look older: I was wearing a Fed IV fedora, and even while wearing it, I was told I looked 19, instead of 21, by a girl I chat with. I suppose if I were attired in a suit, it would have made the difference then, as I was just wearing a Carhartt-esque khaki jacket, dress shirt, and jeans that day.

Last edited:

martinsantos

Practically Family
Agree with you.

An example of a good change. At the days of Erasmus of Rotterdam, the "good manners" formulae to thanks someone because opened a door for your would take around 15 minutes.

The translation of the word "thanks" in portuguese is "obrigado". The origin of the word is the expression "Sinto-me obrigado a vos agradecer a gentileza" (I fell myself obligated to thank you about your kindness). The expression drop in the XVth or XVIth Century, probably - remaining only one word, "obrigado".

I think these were good changes.

Bad changes, to me, are some like NOT to say "thanks!", open a door to other, give a seat in the subway for an old person and so on. As little politesses not seen in younger people, when I do this I probably look a little "older" - as in fact an old lady told me. (to get back to the thread's theme).

I think most of us can agree there are good changes, and there are bad changes. But as I'm pretty pessimistic, I don't see there being much improvement during this century. Without getting into politics, I believe that humanity as a whole has "overextended" itself.

NotsoGolden

New in Town
I agree with what several have said here...it seems that having decent manners is now seemed as "old-school" or vintage. As for looking older, I get it all the time. I don't mind at all. I'd rather be thought of as an "old man" any day, as long as they recognize me as an old man with style, class, and a little pizazz!

Flicka

One Too Many
I stumbled over this oooold thread looking for something else, but I just had to comment.

I'm in my late 30s and I always get carded for alcohol (20 here), vintage or not. Today, I was very properly dressed and was asked to show ID in order to buy a lottery ticket (it's 18 for gambling here), so I apparently look less than half my age, even in vintage. I wonder what people think of me in jeans...

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
to the opening question: yes, vintage clothes can make you look older, but not always. it depends more on the perceived antiquatedness of the clothing and it's respective link in the publics consciousness to 'older' people. from a male perspective; bowler hats, watch chains, waistcoats, morning attire, walking canes, pipes etc will make a younger chap look older by association with 'old-man-ish' attire.

does it matter ? only if you want others to be aware of your real age. when you're male and pass 40 you become invisible to young ladies anyway so i wouldn't worry about it. ;)

TomS

One Too Many
I would agree that vintage clothing can make you look older. I also thing perhaps we *feel* older when we put the stuff on, so we seem older?

Edward

Bartender
I always look 15 years old, no matter what I wear. I imagine they think i'm wearing a fake beard/tasche in order to buy booze. At least in central London supermarkets. I never have trouble in pubs, and never get ID'd in my local stores, where they tend to sell anything to anyone.

bk

Carding in some of those places is crazy now. Worse in the US. Last time I was carded was in Vegas, back in 2000. I was twenty-six. Quite flattered, really... until they carded the guy behind me who was sixty if he was a day. I've also been out in London with a group of mid thirties friends and we were turned away because one of the girls didn't have ID.... that was at one of those Wetherspoons' other brand places, Lloyd's, I think they're called. In Camden. It's not even as if we were emos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24