Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your given name fit you?

Rosie

One Too Many
I was told by a native of India that in his language (which I have of course forgotten the name of) Shameka, my name means: At peace with the world.

My name, which is typical modern African-American is a common name in his village.

Interesting.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Mine fits, but that's not to say I wouldn't change it in a second. Merely having the last name of "Smith" is enough to put most folks to sleep, but "Richard" is pretty dull too. I'd rather have a name that had style ... that made people wonder when I was born ... something like Philo T. Steele ... or Thaddeus Carnegie III ... or Dr. Nigel Pennyweather. *Sigh* Something with personality anyway. :(

Dull Richard

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
RetroBabydoll said:
Alright.....Does your name fit who you are?

No..... Whoever heard of a pickup-truck drivin', brown-liquor drinkin', flat-top guitar pickin', bar-b-que eatin' redneck named GEOFF? I guess my name would have fit pretty well had my parents spelled it JEFF, but they didn't. Do y'all think that they might have been hoping that I would have turned out differently?

Atticus

Hatnut

New in Town
surname

RetroBabydoll said:
Alright.....I'm usually bored at work and look up the most random things. I went onto Wikipedia.com to first look up the story about Thanksgiving and then afterwards I looked up my name "Courtney". I was surprised with my results.

Wikipedia says: "possible derivation of the surname is from a nickname for a person who had a snub nose, from the Old French "court, curt", short, with "nez", nose. Many early European surnames were created from the habitual use of nicknames, often bestowed with reference to a person's physical attributes or peculiarities."

So.....snub nose......snub..... meaning (of the nose) short and turned up at the tip. Which is strange because my nose is turned up at the tip.

Try looking up your name on Wikipedia or any other site and see what comes up.thass your name fit who you are?
Thats funny i did a little research into my surname and discovered in italian it means hat maker or hat and or small round roof usualy seen on victorian style homes.It also appears most with my surname are all from the same area of italy.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Thomas, which is Arabic for twin.
And my other given handle was "Monymose," bestowed
by my detachment's first shirt, and it stuck like mud for the longest time. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav