Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your given name fit you?

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Alright.....I'm usually bored at work and look up the most random things. I went onto Wikipedia.com to first look up the story about Thanksgiving and then afterwards I looked up my name "Courtney". I was surprised with my results.

Wikipedia says: "possible derivation of the surname is from a nickname for a person who had a snub nose, from the Old French "court, curt", short, with "nez", nose. Many early European surnames were created from the habitual use of nicknames, often bestowed with reference to a person's physical attributes or peculiarities."

So.....snub nose......snub..... meaning (of the nose) short and turned up at the tip. Which is strange because my nose is turned up at the tip.

Try looking up your name on Wikipedia or any other site and see what comes up.

Does your name fit who you are?

S

Samsa

My name (Joshua, essentially the same as Yeshua, Jesus's name) is Hebrew and means "God saves." Given my seemingly irrepressible agnosticism, it most certainly does not fit. In fact I was on the verge of changing it to Aeden when I was in high school. I didn't do it because I discovered there was a character on "Sex and the City" with the same name, and feared that people would think I changed my name for that reason.

I would seriously think about changing my name, but the only one I could think of changing it to would be Aengus, and I don't feel like going through the hassle of a name change only to have people associate me with a certain kind of cattle.

To be honest, with all I've been through, my callsign (also my handle here) is a better match than any name my parents could have ever given me.

Of course, after the catastrophic nervous breakdown, what appears on my ID doesn't really ring true as "me", but it's primarily a legal/paperwork convenience.

Besides, people tend to look at you funny when you introduce yourself with the name of a large, venemous serpent, no matter how much it fits.:eek: lol

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Samsa said:
My name (Joshua, essentially the same as Yeshua, Jesus's name) is Hebrew and means "God saves." Given my seemingly irrepressible agnosticism, it most certainly does not fit. In fact I was on the verge of changing it to Aeden when I was in high school. I didn't do it because I discovered there was a character on "Sex and the City" with the same name, and feared that people would think I changed my name for that reason.

I would seriously think about changing my name, but the only one I could think of changing it to would be Aengus, and I don't feel like going through the hassle of a name change only to have people associate me with a certain kind of cattle.

Aedan has a Irish origin, meaning Little fire.

Alternatives for Aedan include ?Åed?°n and Aodh?°n.

Other forms of Aedan are Aidan.

Aedan is associated with these categories: Saint.

So "little fire" fits you more? Hmmm.....associated with Saint......still seems religious. Might as well stick with Joshua.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
This might help

STRAIGHT BRIM said:
i cant find my name

can any one help me i would like to find out what it mean

Quantez
This is what I was able to find on different sites:

The Name Quantez is a boy's name with the meaning(s) " Quantity" and is Greek in origin.

First name origin & meaning: Latin- Knowing his worth, urge to help others

Quantez has the following similar or variant Names: Quanta Quantae Quantah Quantai Quantay Quante Quantea Quantey Quantez Quant

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Parental dispute

My father wanted to name me Kurt and my mother, the Irish-American, wanted to name me Sean (in 1957, way before that was common here). They compromised on Kirk which a) is Scottish, b) means church, and 3) I'm agnostic like Joshua, Still, I like my name and the Irish for church is kill, which doesn't work well in English (think Killarney, Kilkenny, etc,).

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I guess.....

My name means.......

samantha
Meaning: possibly "Listener"
Region: England
Origin: Modern English

It all makes sense because my family is from england and people tell me I'm a good listener.

Samantha

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm Timothy. It is Greek (although I am not) and it means "Honoring God." Theos is God and timao is the 1st person singular present indicative active meaning "I honor." I do not believe in any invisible beings. So I suppose the name does not fit me so well. When imitating a certain cartoon character, people call me "timmay" often, though, and this is the pronunciation of the Greek "time" (yes, the e is a separate syllable) meaning the noun "honor." So I like that.

However, "timothy" is also the name of a kind of grass. This is fine by me. It's the kind of grass that Cormac MacCarthy might mention in one of his books. Perhaps the grotesquely bald, obese evil genius, the Judge, would shoot a small puppy or scalp someone in some timothy-grass while The Kid watched dumbly.

Oh, as for "does it fit"?

Like my serpentine namesake, while I am fiercely territorial (albeit "territory" being the people I care about, rather than real-estate) and highly dangerous when threatened like my namesake, I also always give fair warning when I'm about to do something. The fact that I'm rather temperature-sensitive and always casing out where the warm spots are in my surroundings also fits the profile...:eek: lol

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
My name Erin is a derivative of the Gaelic word for Ireland. Most of my family is Polish, with a British grandfather and Irish great grandmother added to the mix. I've been told that I'm the spitting image of my Irish great grandmother, so I guess it's fitting.

Also, my last name is one of the 14 tribes of Galway. Add that to my fair skin, red hair hair and green eyes - and people are always asking me if I'm Irish. :)

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Maj.Nick Danger said:
http://www.behindthename.com/

Mine is translated as something like wise protector,....I'll go along with that. :)

Thanks for the site!!!

COURTNEY

Usage: English

Pronounced: KORT-nee [key]
From a surname which was derived either from a French place name meaning "domain of CURTIS" or else from a French nickname meaning "short nose".

Couldn't my parents think of a name with a better meaning for me? hmmm. Well my dad said I was named after his football coach (a guy mind you) and my mom liked it because it was the name of a character in a day soap opera.

S

Samsa

RetroBabydoll said:
Aedan has a Irish origin, meaning Little fire.

Alternatives for Aedan include Áedán and Aodhán.

Other forms of Aedan are Aidan.

Aedan is associated with these categories: Saint.

So "little fire" fits you more? Hmmm.....associated with Saint......still seems religious. Might as well stick with Joshua.

Well, the Irish were pagans well before St. Patrick came along. I don't know how well "little fire" describes me, though.lol

But like I said, if I changed it, it would be to Aengus... and that's half because of Yeats' "Song of Wandering Aengus."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
First I've seen this:

The original meaning of the word Scot is debated, but it may mean "tattoo", so given because Scotsmen often had tattoos.

Heh. :)

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Elise: God's promise, or somesuch (promise of what, hrm...?). My mom named me after the character of Elise McKenna in Somewhere in Time.

Genevieve: Fair one, white wave. Ste. Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris (she starved herself and prayed hard enough to defeat the Huns...yeah, very proactive. strong stock. lol ) But it makes sense, with my love of Paris!

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
sweetfrancaise said:
Elise: God's promise, or somesuch (promise of what, hrm...?). My mom named me after the character of Elise McKenna in Somewhere in Time.

Genevieve: Fair one, white wave. Ste. Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris (she starved herself and prayed hard enough to defeat the Huns...yeah, very proactive. strong stock. lol ) But it makes sense, with my love of Paris!

Oh my goodness.....my mom gave my sister her middle name Elise after that same movie. It is a really good film.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I should be in my element here with all this discussion of Irish names but ironically my name is Hebrew, biblical name (obviously). Her sister was called Leah which is my cousins name :) My surname is 100% Irish though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass