Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your given name fit you?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Another Sarah here.

According to Wikipedia "It should be pointed out that while most name books list the meaning of Sarah as "princess", sometimes translated as Goddess, the literal translation of the name is "princess of all"." So there! ;) Does it fit me? I suppose so but it's hard to say since I'm so used to it I can't imagine being called anything else.

I was originally going to be named Lucy, which was the name of both of my grandmothers, until my parents realized they both really disliked their mothers. My mother really pushed for me to be named Siobhán but it was vetoed by my father who was afraid it was too unusual. They compromised on Sarah, which was the name of my father's favorite grandmother

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My name's Jordanna, which is after the Jordan river and the character in the novel Exodus by Leon Uris. Literally it means "decends" which I bet is true of pretty much everybody. lol

Most people call me Josie, which means "G-d will add." It's half short for Jordanna (I don't like Jordie, sounds like Geordi from Star Trek) and half short for my Hebrew name, which is Yosefa, the feminine version of Yosef/Joseph.

zaika

One Too Many
i was named after my mother's favorite singer, Annie Herring. Annie is diminutive of Anne, which is a Latinized version of Hannah which means "favour" or "grace." i have no idea if it fits or not. i'm not very favorable or graceful!! my Christian/baptismal name is Anastasia which is the feminine form of the greek Anastasios which means 'resurrection' (anastasis). again...i don't claim to have resurrected from the dead or anything. lol

so...i guess the answer is...no. lol

My given name in Dutch means: The most exalted majestic human being of all mankind who lives in a luxury van down by the river of all knowing....and my Mama always said that it surely fit......

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Paul

In Latin it means little man. In early Christianity it was a man who wrote a lot of epistles about the need to be pure and pious and strict. Both of these fit my grandfather fairly well, but not me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I didn't like my given name, so I gave it back -- I go by my middle name, Elizabeth, which means "God's Promise", "Worshiper of God" or "Consecrated to God," depending on who you ask. My given name means "Fearing God," so I guess my mother was really trying to drill a message into me. Now I know why she was so disappointed when I dropped out of Sunday School.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
Derived from Germanic ermen meaning "whole" or "universal". This name was borne by the mother of Edward the Confessor and by an 11th-century German saint. This is also the name of the central character in Jane Austen's novel 'Emma', the matchmaker Emma Woodhouse

i don't think it suits me

Socrets

Familiar Face
Well, I guess it's a little too early to really tell but I'd like to think so. ;)

From the name website:
ROBERT

Usage: English, French, Scandinavian, German, Czech, Polish, Russian, Slovene, Romanian

Means "bright fame", derived from the Germanic elements hrod "fame" and beraht "bright". The Normans introduced this name to Britain.

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Michael

Well, it's suppose to be something to the effect of "God Like".
I can attest that it doesn't fit...but I do look like a "Mike".
I suppose I could have ended up with worse name.

nyx

One of the Regulars
Mine is Stephanie, which means "crown." Not wearing a crown, just crown. Which to me doesn't quite mean anything.

On an odd note though, I was born with and of course, still have, a double crown on my head. For the chinese culture, and my mom is chinese, the double crown is a lucky sign. But I honestly doubt she picked my name because of that. I honestly don't know where my name came from. I think I'll run downstairs and ask her...

Jovan

Suspended
I think my given name suits me... it is rather unique, and I certainly think I am. :)

That aside, I'm not sure what to say about its origin. I see so many different meanings and cultural origins for it I'm not sure which one is right!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My name is Meredith, and I don't like it! It is Welsh, meaning "great lord". Basically, it sounds pretty dowdy to me. It seems to be split half and half between my friends on whether they like it or not. Half thinks it's pretty, the other half thinks it doesn't suit me.

A lot of my friends call me Dee (it's quite a complicated story as to how I got that nickname), as it's more goofy and lighthearted, and therefore fits my personality a bit more.

I'm still bitter that my dad didn't get to name me Isabel Jack after my great-grandma like he wanted to. Now that's a great name!

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine). The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name ‚ÄòΕκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ‚Äòεκατερος (hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans associated it with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this.

So Goddess of witchcraft/crossroads/underworld, torture, or pure. Um...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SHELLEY
Usage: English
Pronounced: SHEL-ee [key]
From a surname which was originally derived from a place name meaning "clearing on a bank" in Old English. Two famous bearers of the surname were Percy Bysshe Shelley, a romantic poet from England whose most famous works include 'Adonais' and 'Ozymandias', and Mary Shelley, his wife, the author of the horror story 'Frankenstein'.

I was named after the poet, or so my Mama said. And no, its not short for Michelle.

LD

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
S??ren (Danish/scandinavian) comes from Severin, meaning serious, philosophical, earnest.....doesn't fit one bit!!!!

But I like my name, and it has never been popular, which means we are few.
(S??ren Kierkegaard and me;) )

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I think Meredith is a lovely name, as is Shelley.

I'm Emma, which means 'universal'... not sure how that would apply to a human!!!

I like it though. I like that its common, I like to see which famous emma I get compared to by people when they first meet me... I once dated a guy on the strength of being "Emma Bovary" after a night full of "baby spice"s!

I also like "Emma Peel" and "Emma Woodhouse" and am still holding out for an "Emma Goldman!"

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
The Common Royalty.

My name is Lee. If the derivation comes from England, it seems to fit: "in English-speaking countries, a common family name and given name." Yeah, I'm fairly common. [huh]

If it's the Korean (or Chinese) name, it doesn't. In those cultures, as I've been told by a couple Korean and Chinese people I know, it's a name of royalty. Of which I share nothing (unless you count my geneology including William the Conqueror . . . which it does.) lol

Lee

More common than you'd care to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto