Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your given name fit you?

Edward

Bartender
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
• Find out more about navigating Wikipedia and finding information •Jump to: navigation, search
Edward
Gender Male
Meaning Rich/blessed guard
Origin English
Proto-Germanic *audwardon
Old English Ēadweard
Modern English Edward
Short forms include Ed, Edd, Eddy, Eddie, Ted, Teddy, Teddie, Ned, Neddie, Neddy, and Ward.

Kinda ironic for such a proud Irishman that I should be known by an English name. lol The Irish equivalent of Edward is Eamonn. Being an academic in London, I sure ain't rich! lol

Miss1933

New in Town
I love my name, my mother saw the name in a poetry book she found in an antiques store. She loved it so much that she decided to name me with such name!

The Rhodora -

In May, when sea-winds pierced our solitudes,
I found the fresh Rhodora in the woods,
Spreading its leafless blooms in a damp nook,
To please the desert and the sluggish brook.
The purple petals, fallen in the pool,
Made the black water with their beauty gay;
Here might the redbird come his plumes to cool,
And court the flower that cheapens his array.
Rhodora! if the sages ask thee why
This charm is wasted on the earth and sky,
Tell them dear, that if eyes were made for seeing
Then Beauty is its own excuse for being:
Why though wert there, O rival of the rose!
I never thought to ask, I never knew:
But, in my simple ignorance, suppose
The self-same Power that brought me there brought you.

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
ABIGAIL

Usage: English, German, Biblical

Pronounced: AB-i-gayl (English), AH-bee-giel (German)
From the Hebrew name אֲבִיגָיִל ('Avigayil) meaning "my father is joy". In the Old Testament this is the name of the wife of Nabal. After he was killed she became the third wife of King David.

RUTH

Usage: English, German, Scandinavian, Biblical
Other Scripts: רוּת (Hebrew)
Pronounced: ROOTH (English), ROOT (German)
From a Hebrew name which was derived from the Hebrew word רְעוּת (re'ut) meaning "friend". This is the name of the central character in the Book of Ruth in the Old Testament. She was a Moabite woman who was the ancestor of King David.
My first and middle names are Abigail and Ruth, respectively. I think they suit me fine. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Spitfire said:
S??ren (Danish/scandinavian) comes from Severin, meaning serious, philosophical, earnest.....doesn't fit one bit!!!!

But I like my name, and it has never been popular, which means we are few.
(S??ren Kierkegaard and me;) )

How does one pronounce it? Can you write it phonetically for us English speakers? My wife's family is Scandinavian and it seems such a wonderful name. :)

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
BeBopBaby said:
My name Erin is a derivative of the Gaelic word for Ireland. Most of my family is Polish, with a British grandfather and Irish great grandmother added to the mix. I've been told that I'm the spitting image of my Irish great grandmother, so I guess it's fitting.

Also, my last name is one of the 14 tribes of Galway. Add that to my fair skin, red hair hair and green eyes - and people are always asking me if I'm Irish. :)

I'm in the same boat. My last name is Hungerian... I think there was one person in my family that was Irish...I got there their traits....My family is English and Hungerian.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
My name is Meredith, and I don't like it! It is Welsh, meaning "great lord".
Spelled Meredydd in Welsh, btw. Maybe you don't dig it, but it goes nicely with Jane and with your picture. I think it's lovely.

A lot of my friends call me Dee (it's quite a complicated story as to how I got that nickname)
I dated a Meredith years ago. She felt it was a mouthful, especially with her last name (it was Czech and unpronounceable). I suggested going by Mitzi, which used to be the all purpose nickname for any M-name. She liked it!

Spitfire said:
I like my name, and it has never been popular, which means we are few. (S??ren Kierkegaard and me )
I was almost named S??ren. My mom was quite a devotee of Kierkegaard in college. My dad prevailed on her not to inflict an ?? on a child who was not at all Danish.

LizzieMaine said:
I didn't like my given name, so I gave it back -- I go by my middle name, Elizabeth, which means "God's Promise", "Worshiper of God" or "Consecrated to God," depending on who you ask.
I remember an Elizabeth in the Old Testament, who gave birth in old age. This was construed as a blessing (poor woman).

Elizabeth is an A-list name - classic, ultra-feminine, familiar yet regal.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
How does one pronounce it? Can you write it phonetically for us English speakers? My wife's family is Scandinavian and it seems such a wonderful name. :)

First spoken half is like the english: "Sir..."
Second half: "...ren"

Hope it makes sence???[huh]

Fletch - would propably have given you a lot of trouble, just telling people how to spell it.
When I write my name to others than danes/scandinavians they sometime believe my name is "Sren" - because th "o" is crossed out!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My name was ALMOST Gaitano, but mom won the fight and named me Thomas. This was some sort of a compromise, since "Guy" is one nickname for Gaitano, and "Tommy" is the other.
Tommy fits. Gaitano...notsomuch.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Here's what Wikipedia says:

Tammy (name)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"Tammy" is a given name or nickname (usually feminine), derived from names beginning with "Tam" (such as "Tamsin" and "Tamara"). It originates both from the bibical figure Tamar (through "Tamara") and from the name Thomasina.

It was a popular given name from the 1950s to 1990s, and was one of the most popular female names in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Tammy has been defined at times as "perfection" and "palm tree

My name doesnt fit me at all. People often sing the song to me though and I like that.:) Actually I guess my name does fit me in that it's common and plain.
I always loved the name Aideen which I thought ment "little fire" but it doesn't. :eusa_doh:

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Mine...

Fred Harvey... My father was Wm. Harvey and they would have named me William after him (and his father), but the norm in the area of rural Idaho where I was raised was to call a Junior *Junior* and my dad couldn't abide by that. So they named me Fred instead. Would have preferred William so I named my first son that!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We are so royal

imoldfashioned said:
Another Sarah here.

According to Wikipedia "It should be pointed out that while most name books list the meaning of Sarah as "princess", sometimes translated as Goddess, the literal translation of the name is "princess of all"."

And so goddess-like! I knew I liked you for good reasons!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Daniel

Daniel is another Old Testament name, meaning God is Judge. All the names with EL (Nathaniel, Emmanuel, etc.) refer to God (El), which has the same root, of course, as Allah. Yes, a heavy burden. But Dan is very dapper, and Danny downright boyish. I like to think I'm all of the above. A few friends over the years have called me Dan'l, which I love, it being all frontiersy.
I was named after my grandfather, whose picture I've posted here several times. He was a tres tres cool gent. I actually suspect, since his extraction was New Englandish, that going back he may have been named after Daniel Webster. That's my fantasy,anyhow.
And yes, I also agree that Meredith is a beautiful Name. Very feminine and elegant. My grandmother had a Welsh name also. It was Ethelwyn. Not something you'd want to be saddled with. Ethelwyn Dithridge Hotaling. What a mouthful!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Spelled Meredydd in Welsh, btw. Maybe you don't dig it, but it goes nicely with Jane and with your picture. I think it's lovely.

I dated a Meredith years ago. She felt it was a mouthful, especially with her last name (it was Czech and unpronounceable). I suggested going by Mitzi, which used to be the all purpose nickname for any M-name. She liked it!

Mitzi!? I've never heard that as a nickname! My name is often really hard to pronounce for little kids, so I'm usually Mimi or "Mereduh". My friend's parents, who's native language is Spanish (Meredith makes absolutely NO sense to people who speak Spanish), call me Marilu, which I think is cute.

And thanks so much to those who like my name! It makes me feel better (and less matronly!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21