Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't judge a book by it's cover

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Sometimes you just have to look past the crummy pictures on eBay and have a bit of imagination and hope for the best. In this case I lucked out, I knew the jacket was in great shape, but little did I know when I got it the horsehide was about as thick as a Lost Worlds, very nice and grainy but you wouldn't have been able to tell that from the lovely pictures that accompanied this jacket on the auction. The jacket arrived literally in a ball, stuffed in a tiny box, I guess the seller was trying to save a few bucks on shipping. A little TLC, saddle soap, Pecards and some sorting out by Gary at ELC to include new knits, a few stitches here and there, new nipple snaps on the pockets (as they had disintegrated) and there you have it. BTW, this model Dubow is about one size larger that marked, it fits about the same as an Aero in a 38.

Before:

ef42_3.jpg

After:

CIMG7253.jpg

CIMG7256.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice Dubow Steve. The leather does indeed look superb. This is the first one I have seen with berry knits. I guess Gary didn't have the correct purply shade as found on the original. They do make the jacket look distinctive. Does it fit you ok?

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Thanks guys...It does fit quite well, like I said I think this contract runs a little large, either that or I've shrunk. Now, for the berry knits, not quite sure why Gary put them on, I didn't specify the colour, but they should indeed be purplish. I was going to email Gary and ask him why they decided to put these on it, but I really love the way it looks and the did such a fantastic job including the triangle reinforced stitching that I think I'm going to leave it. I reminds me of a '38 Aero I had a few years back, real cool contrast to the seal HH.

38 Aero from Aero Leather in Scotland.....

aerofront.jpg

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Look great!

That was a good find. The jacket looks great. Was there any seams that needed to be restiched?

It's hard to getting harder to find these jackets I know I have restored a few my self. The military one are far and few Thats why most of the ones I'm working on are civilion and motorcycle Jackets.

Never the less I like your find and wouldn't mind have one for myself.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
James Miller said:
That was a good find. The jacket looks great. Was there any seams that needed to be restiched?

It's hard to getting harder to find these jackets I know I have restored a few my self. The military one are far and few Thats why most of the ones I'm working on are civilion and motorcycle Jackets.

Never the less I like your find and wouldn't mind have one for myself.

Not much, just about 3cm under the armpit.

I wish I had the patience and the knowledge to restore my own, it sure would save money.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Spectacular old jacket! :eusa_clap :) Do you have any info as to it's provenance?

No provenance at all on this one, not named, not even a stitch hole to say it was in combat. I do wonder sometimes why some of these jackets, if they have been on the backs of pilots then why didn't have any name tapes? You would think that if it were an issued jacket, at the least it would have a name on the breast. Now, I retired from the navy and everything I owned had my name on it. I couldn't wear anything w/o my identifying mark.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Looks as if there was the army air force logo decal on the shoulder at one time? And I think that not all jackets had name tags,...in fact I could almost swear I've seen some original WW2 jackets without them.[huh] Nicely broken in in any case, and a great catch, congrats.:)

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Looks as if there was the army air force logo decal on the shoulder at one time? And I think that not all jackets had name tags,...in fact I could almost swear I've seen some original WW2 jackets without them.[huh] Nicely broken in in any case, and a great catch, congrats.:)

Thanks Major. I've seen them sans name tapes, but I have had more in my possession without than with and quite a few have passed through my hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner