Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double buttons on a shirt?!

garybaxter

New in Town
howdy howdy howdy.

first time posting, so please be gentle... have just bought incredibly nice maison martin margiela shirt that bafflingly has two buttons for each button hole attached - one black rounded type, one flat pearl normal button, spaced 5mm apart.

Er, am i supposed to pick one type and cut the others off; fasten one; fasten both!?

choice is lovely, but answers are better.

gb

Staredge

One of the Regulars
A double breasted shirt???? Maybe it's in case you gain weight....the black ones are to shame you into dieting???? [huh] :p

Can't wait to hear the reason for this one!!! Someone here will know the answer.

Edward

Bartender
I suspect this is simply a stylistic choice, can't see any functional reason for it. It does call to mind the double-buttons that fasten a cutaway morning coat.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm guessing that it's a design feature that would allow two different looks (black stud-white button) but if you want an official answer simply contact:

MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA LONDON
lines Artisanal, Défilé, 1, 4, 8, 10, 14, 11, 12, 13, 22 and MM6
22 Bruton street
W1J6NE London

Tel: +44 207 629 26 82
22brutonstreet_store@margiela.com

Opening hours:
Monday to Saturday 11AM to 7PM

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Perhaps you're supposed to choose from the two buttons.

One set for maybe a more casual look and one set of buttons for a more dressy approach?

Sounds like a very interesting shirt!

Speedbird

A-List Customer
double breasted shirt ... they are great!

although, double breasted shirt - now that's an idea!! :)[/QUOTE]

I recall there was a rage for double-breasted or 'lancer' front shirts in the mid '80's. At the time I think I liked them .... I probably was going through my Adam & The Ants phase at the time - Hussar jackets, billowy silk shirts, leather jeans etc actually - I still am, except I just don't have the youth or slenderness or even the occasion to carry the look off anymore!

Anyway, back to the double breasted shirt - I believe they, like most fashion, took their styling cues from practical, historic work and military shirts and are rooted in an old west americana tradition. Think cowboy shirts seen in Open Range, or even Custer quite famously wore one. Some have quite nifty contrasting piping, others are plain. Sometimes called bib front shirts or fireman shirts (from the stoker chaps on old trains as opposed to the run into burning building firemen) the original shirt is a comfortable and warm outdoors shirt - the panel at the front keeps the wind, rain, dust, flying sparks off the chest.

I sometimes wear a repro one for a bit of Indian Wars c 1876 Living History & re-enactment I do. The 1980's version were much more a show off down the pub/club shirt - light and shiny for posing in the dance floor, very much a New Romantic thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner