Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress For Success

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I had mentioned this on another thread but thought it deserved it's own.
How many of you have had a "successful" experience while wearing vintage or vintage-inspired clothing?

Here's mine:

This past weekend I went antique shopping and wore a vintage-inspired 40s dress, shoes, seamed stockings and gloves (I'm still working up the courage to wear hats on a regular basis :rolleyes: ). I walked into an old antique shop that was full of assorted stuff and as I was looking around I struck up a conversation with the lady owner (actually, she was younger than me). She commented on how she liked my outfit and how women don't dress nicely as much as they used to and such. I showed her my seamed stockings and she oohed and aahed them. Then she said, "Wait a minute, I think I have something here for you." She then proceeded to dig under a bunch of old clothes in a corner (I hadn't dug that far into the corner) and pulled out a bunch of stocking boxes. We looked them over on the counter and they were all seamed! I counted 17 pairs. We discussed a price for the whole lot and I ended up getting them all for less than $5 a pair!

stocking_haul.JPG

I left the shop feeling like I'd made a connection and a new friend. When I showed my hubby my purchases later, we looked at the stockings closer and most of them are old silk stockings! I couldn't believe it. One pair was even labeled rayon and silk. We think those are 1930s. A few of them had cotton tops and feet with silk on the leg part. I really believe my attire made an impression on the shopkeeper and may have contributed to this great find! (I'll have to go back because I was so awestruck with the stockings that I didn't finish looking in the rest of the store. Besides, I'd spent most of my money. [huh] )

What about any of you? Have you had some exceptional positive experiences while dressing vintage/vintage-inspired? I've had the usual; doors being held open for me, people being in general more polite, but I've not had it influence a sale before. We've discussed here on the Lounge some of the bad experiences while wearing seamed stockings (for example), lets hear about some good ones!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
BonnieJ,

Wow, good for you honey. Dressed they way you were gave the shopkeeper incentive to help you find something wonderful. Keep it up.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
one time i was spotted at the derby (ironically, the same day that i modeled in a vintage fashion show!) by some gals from a salon and they recruited me and my then-boyfriend to dance/model in a hair show. had i not been dressed vintage, they probably would have asked someone else, since they had me provide my own outfit. i got paid, too!

i've made some good friends in the past from dressing vintage as well, who happened to be owners of shops i frequented. i got my best stuff this way too. one guy in particular would have a mental list of things he had picked out for me on buying trips and would save them till i came into the store again! everything always fit me, when it came in! they all had things they would offer me before they went out on the floor.

i've also gotten free drinks, free vintage stuff, lower prices at estate sales, and i think i was practically famous around one of my colleges i attended...

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Not so long ago I was hitting some antique shops WAAAY out in the counrty with my boyfriend (we were both wearing vintage of course!) and the shop owner though we looked so nice he just GAVE me a pair of 50's cat eye frames (with cute little stars and rhinestones)! They fit just right too! I'm going to have my perscription put in them I like them so much. I thought that was very nice of the man that owned the place and some good luck me!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I've gotten a few modeling gigs, which is lots of fun. Photographers love my style, and it's convenient that I can do my own hair, makeup and provide a great wardrobe...and the occasional prop!

It's also helped me get a job that would have been very difficult to get if not for my style and interests. Well, the job is at a vintage retail and costuming store, so naturally such things would help. I didn't even THINK about applying there, since I didn't think I had the slightest chance of getting employed there...I'm seventeen years old, and usually expected to go for minimum wage jobs (though I never have, and I just turned down a job with an unspeakably high salary, haha).

People are generally interested in why I dress and carry myself the way I do, and it has led to a lot of nice connections. For every person who thinks I'm a weirdo, there are two people who appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran