Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress like you want to be President

Jovan

Suspended
Being best dressed isn't necessarily grounds for getting my vote. Barack is quite an inspiring guy, nice suits aside. But enough before the thread gets too political.

Dagwood said:
I thought Reagan was a pretty sharp dresser - and he wore a pocket square!

I second that. He was the best dressed president that I can remember 7 or so anyway. Makes sense though. His suits were well made and most custom made. Its not the money that counts but truly who you know. Those years in Hollywood probably gave him a good idea of who to go to and who to run from in the sartorial arena. ;) :p

Regards,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...BLEAGH.

These guys look like a bunch of drones.

Powder blue shirt, black suit, primary color / mostly solid tie.

...and CRAPTASTIC tailoring. Are we really THAT sartorially lost as a society? These guys should look as if they stepped out of a bespoke shop on Saville Row! Instead, they look as if some assistant ran down to Penny's at the last minute before the debate began.

The powder blue shirt lends credence to the theory that everyone's going by Kennedy's appearance playbook with the standard modern disconnect with regard to fit.

Attack of the politidrones.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ike!

After the War, Dwight Eisenhower wrote his book, "Crusade in Europe", and got a huge paycheck for it ($600,000 I believe, really huge in 1948). He was finally able to enjoy the better things. When he became president he was given suits all the time, because people knew he liked to dress well. He had over 100 suits when he was in the White House. But he obviously had taste a lot earlier. Here he is in civvies, which he wore most of the time because of his advisory job, with Mamie and John in the Philippines around 1936. Pretty spiffy. And I think those are 2 tone shoes.
EisenhowersatMalecon.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:

:eek:fftopic: I think Mamie looks so much prettier in the clothes from the teens-'30's than she did in the '50's fashions. The poor woman got such a bad repuation for being dowdy and, really, she looked lovely in the slimmer silhouettes.

Ike and John look darn sharp here too ('specially Ike's tie)!

Josephine

One Too Many
Dagwood said:
I thought Reagan was a pretty sharp dresser - and he wore a pocket square!

Regan (and Nancy) are apparently in the (Vanity Fair?) Best Dressed Hall of Fame. Vanity Fair has an article about new inductees and old on their web site if you're interested.

Marc Chevalier said:
Presidential candidates would do well to imitate Anderson Cooper. No one dresses better than he does.

Anderson is also there, along with his mom Gloria Vanderbilt. And to keep this on topic, all those guys looked like a sack of blue potatoes. :D

luvthatlulu

Suspended
This may be off topic, but...

when did it become customary to refer to elected public officials by their first name only, rather than as "Senator Clinton", or "Senator Obama", even "former Senator Thompson"? Look, I'm no fan of President Bush, but I respect the office nonetheless. Even I wouldn't refer to him just as "George"! For a forum like ours that always touts courtesy and respect, we should do better, don't you think?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
luvthatlulu said:
when did it become customary to refer to elected public officials by their first name only, rather than as "Senator Clinton", or "Senator Obama", even "former Senator Thompson"? Look, I'm no fan of President Bush, but I respect the office nonetheless. Even I wouldn't refer to him just as "George"! For a forum like ours that always touts courtesy and respect, we should do better, don't you think?

Usually by their supporters.

Well, George's tailoring woes are by now legendary. Poor old tailor getting the blame for the bullet proof vest.

Back on topic, John Kennedy had a style quotient in the stratosphere as compared to other politicians. It's unsurprising that Ronald is getting votes here. As a man fully versed in appearing how he wanted to be perceived (it's called acting) i can't imagine him dressing badly.

And given how the press hounds politicians who choose to dress differently, it's not surprising that they become a homogenous mess of navy, powder blue and red. Remeber when Tony wore a plum coloured suit on his evening off? He won't do that again!

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Calling him George beats calling him Duhbya (which ironically is just how a Texan would say "W").

Gets when the loyal opposition just calls him "Bush." You don't have to like the guy to throw a little respect to the position. Besides, just "Bush" could be #41, Bar, Jeb, Laura, the twins, Kate, that baked bean magnate with the talking dog...

Rooster

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Sometimes I think they wear ill-fitted suits that look like they just came off the rack to appeal more to the average voter.

"Hey look! I bought my suit at J.C.Penny's too!" ;)
I'll bet your "average" voter doesn't even own a suit these days.:eusa_doh:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These days, your "average voter" is doing good to even know the President's name. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic