Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressin like a 'million dollars!' (Book References)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just a 'BUMP' on this reference section in OuterWear that often gets overlooked. There are a number of GREAT books out there that will guide and advise on classic style dressing. These are just a few of the ones that I am familiar with.

And the link (for the Reference Table at the TOP of the ROOM giving a brief precis of each book) is:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20977

So start getting those "high hats and arrow collar, white spats and lots of dollars!"

CaryGrant.jpg

FredAstairestyle.jpg

Indispensableguidetoclassicmensclot.jpg

Machivellianapproach.jpg

agentlemangetsdressedup.jpg

awelldressedgentlemanspocketguide.jpg

dressingtheman.jpg

gentlemansguidetogroomingandstyle.jpg

styleandtheman.jpg

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I highly recommend the "Gentleman's Guide", "Dressing the Man" and "The Suit."

Of course, the Grant and Astaire books are outstanding but they won't give you the foundation of dressing.

I also recommend the blog "A Suitable Wardrobe."

Edward

Bartender
Oh! Which one is that?

I have the Oscar Lenius book - I've read about the first third so far. It's small and compact, and very informative. Very good in the history of the suit, what is appropriate for the occasion, etc. Written from a European perspective, too, which makes it worth picking up over here in terms of terminology etc, also small elements of dress code which differ over here (e.g. white tie requiring a double stripe on the trouser leg wheras, if memory serves, in the US a single stripe the same as black tie is the norm).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925