Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing Down For Church Has Gone Too Far, CNN Article

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have trouble believing any Deity would take attendance, and have a dress code. I hated when I was in church, and I would hear the old biddies complaining about some ones cloths. That went against all the non judgmental teachings of my church!

Edward

Bartender
I have trouble believing any Deity would take attendance, and have a dress code. I hated when I was in church, and I would hear the old biddies complaining about some ones cloths. That went against all the non judgmental teachings of my church!

Indeed. All things in moderation. Nowadays, I dress (by contemporary standards) quite formally for church; our congregation runs the full gamut of dresss codes, and all are welcome. It's nice to dress as I do because I choose to, and not because (as was the case in the small village church in which I grew up) because it was expected, the path of least resistance. In Northern Ireland particularly I've heard many stories of people who wanted, for whatever reason, to explore the church, but felt unwelcome because they lacked what they felt was the expected wardrobe.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Non-jugdemental?! Religion? Riiiigghhhttt. lol lol

While you are right, I remember the priest, about every other week having a sermon on not judging. Of course, hard to hear the sermon when you are busy scrutinizing every bodies wardrobe!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
When I attended church, there were things like the above mentioned & other happenings
that the people would do, including the person up front doing the sermon that were distracting.
But I realize people are doing it without thinking and is not done on purpose towards me.
Nevertheless it was slightly annoying but I realized long ago that I could be with Him no matter
where I was. And didn't require a church. But I do miss the way it was long ago.

Gee, I am glad I live here. The masses are attended to the rafters. If you get there late---you get to stand. :p
We talk appropriate attire all the time. :p Maybe it makes a difference. :D

Same where I am. Though I'm not Catholic, I've noticed that the Catholic church near my house is so jam packed during Mass that it's not unusual to see people literally spilling out the doors.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I remember a guy at work who would make the "sign of the cross" gesture when passing a Catholic church
& the next block would see an attractive woman with her young kid walking on the street & he would
voice his opinion of what he would like to do with her.
I always thought that was odd, but to each his own. :p

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 92 year old gentleman who regularly sits in the pew across from me in church fell last week and broke his hip. I wish he would get well soon and be able to return to church. He is the only person in church besides myself who ALWAYS wears a coat and tie during Sunday service.

It's funny. I always get compliments from the folks who are wearing shorts and flip-flops on how nicely I'm dressed. [huh]

I remember a guy at work who would make the "sign of the cross" gesture when passing a Catholic church
& the next block would see an attractive woman with her young kid walking on the street & he would

That's the beauty of forgiveness.

FWIW, the hound-iest of the ****hounds I've ever known were good Catholic boys.

If he was a priest then that would be odd. Otherwise, he is just a man. :p

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get the same thing. They either think it costs a fortune to dress like that or they don't think they could pull it off. Obviously they have never tried. :p

Or they say, "it's just too hot to dress like that."

That's another funny statement, as the church is air conditioned and always nice and cool on Sunday no matter how hot it is out. When I was a boy (even up past my high school years) we didn't have air conditioning (and rather poor heat, too) in the church. Back then, even in the oppressive heat of the Summer, almost without exception all the men (and most all the boys) wore a coat and tie to church.

Same way with school and teachers (and, to a degree, students). We did not have air conditioning all through my years at school and the male teachers all had a coat and tie, while the women teachers all wore nice dresses. My Dad, who was the principal, ALWAYS wore a suit.

No one needs give me that crap about it being "too hot" to dress nice. Bottom line, and at the risk of offending some, it is pure laziness that folks don't dress nice for church, business, or school. The "heat" or "comfort" or whatever is nothing more than an excuse. Now, off my rant. :)

Or they say, "it's just too hot to dress like that."

That's another funny statement, as the church is air conditioned and always nice and cool on Sunday no matter how hot it is out. When I was a boy (even up past my high school years) we didn't have air conditioning (and rather poor heat, too) in the church. Back then, even in the oppressive heat of the Summer, almost without exception all the men (and most all the boys) wore a coat and tie to church.

Same way with school and teachers (and, to a degree, students). We did not have air conditioning all through my years at school and the male teachers all had a coat and tie, while the women teachers all wore nice dresses. My Dad, who was the principal, ALWAYS wore a suit.

No one needs give me that crap about it being "too hot" to dress nice. Bottom line, and at the risk of offending some, it is pure laziness that folks don't dress nice for church, business, or school. The "heat" or "comfort" or whatever is nothing more than an excuse. Now, off my rant. :)

Agreed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav