Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing Down For Church Has Gone Too Far, CNN Article

gear-guy

Practically Family
Dress your best for God, not man.

1 Samuel 16:7 - But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for [the LORD seeth] not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
The article was correct about the African-American church. You have to dress up in suits and hats each Sunday at the majority of them. Dress standards have declined at funerals and weddings depending on the socioeconomic backgrounds of the deceased and the bride/groom. You can bet your bottom dollar if the funeral is for 22 year old urban kid killed in drug violence that the crowd will be in sagging pants and t-shirts with the picture of the deceased, whereas if the deceased is a 30 something professional the dress code will be suits, dresses and hats.

vintageTink

One Too Many
That is one thing I have always admired about that community. If you want to know how to dress sharp they can definitely show you.

We have an acquaintance that dresses up to attend a church with a majority black congregation. His slacks, jacket, matching vest, and hat were day glo orange.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We have an acquaintance that dresses up to attend a church with a majority black congregation. His slacks, jacket, matching vest, and hat were day glo orange.

In the Methodist congregation of my childhood, in the days before day glo orange, it wasn't uncommon to see a man show up during deer season wearing a white shirt and tie with a red-and-black checkered hunting jacket over it. He had either just come from the woods or would be on his way there as soon as the last words of the Benediction were spoken.

We dressed cleanly and neatly in our congregation, but clothes were not considered a big deal except at Easter, when the white gloves and such came out. Congregationalists, by contrast, were always dressed to the teeth. They also never went hunting, rarely smiled, and probably held the mortgage on your house.

vintageTink

One Too Many
When I was growing up we wore dresses to church. On Christmas and Easter the fancy dresses and frilly socks were pulled out.
My grandpa was a pastor, grandma the church pianist. They were born in 1931 and were serving in pastoral ministry in the 50's through early 80's.

A few years ago I wore a dress I made from a pattern printed in 1947. Everyone stared and asked me why I was so dressed up. It was just a normal dress, nothing fancy at all.
But I guess when everyone is wearing uggs, shortie shorts, and a low cut tank to church, someone in a dress looks out of place.

gear-guy

Practically Family
I go to church on Sat. as I attend a mega church with Sat. and Sunday services and I noticed when leaving a casually dressed lady wearing flip flops. I would not have thought anything about it but due to this thread I had to laugh to myself.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went out to enjoy some lunch & run some errands this afternoon & while I was at the restaurant & grocer ouldnt help but notice that there were several couples & families dressed up. I even saw some children & teenagers wearing a shirt & tie. I thought of this thread & you fine folks.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
I was raised to honor the Sabbath. That meant, when attending worship, you wore your best. In my younger days that meant at least a collared shirt and dress pants. Worship, however, should not be a fashion show. I consider myself as dapper as the next FLounger, but wouldn't wear my spectators to worship. That being said, I think it is also a lack of reverence. Individuals who can't be bothered to change out of their comfortable shorts and sandals, or turn off their cell phone.

I was raised to honor the Sabbath. That meant, when attending worship, you wore your best. In my younger days that meant at least a collared shirt and dress pants. Worship, however, should not be a fashion show. I consider myself as dapper as the next FLounger, but wouldn't wear my spectators to worship. That being said, I think it is also a lack of reverence. Individuals who can't be bothered to change out of their comfortable shorts and sandals, or turn off their cell phone.

As the body goes, so goes the mind.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
My grandmother always wore her best to church. She was never well off, but always looked nice.

She said worship was not meant to be taken casually.

Captain Neon

Familiar Face
I believe there may be hope for the younger generation. My 3rd Grade niece insists on dressing "business casual" for school. When I was in 3rd Grade, I wore jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers, and so did all of the girls. It wasn't until about 5th Grade that girls started taking things to another level by wearing flats instead of sneakers to class.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The text that always comes to mind for me in these discussions is James 2:2-4.

"2 For if there come into your synagogue a man with a gold ring, in fine clothing, and there come in also a poor man in vile clothing;

3 and ye have regard to him that weareth the fine clothing, and say, Sit thou here in a good place; and ye say to the poor man, Stand thou there, or sit under my footstool;

4 Do ye not make distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?"
-- American Standard Version.

Now, the discussion there is about people in genuine poverty, not generic slobs, but the principle is worth remembering: by what right do *we*, as individuals, judge a fellow worshiper on their choice of clothing? By doing so, aren't we walking down the same path as the satisfied-in-their-own-righteousness Pharisees and their sycophants?

I'm all for dressing appropriately in appropriate situations, but at the same time I've seen the sneers on peoples' faces when someone walks in not dressed to the particular standard preferred by the sneerers. Somehow I doubt Jesus would have gone in for that kind of sneering. The only people he ever threw out of the Temple were the money-changers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner