Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving golden era cars in the modern era

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
This thread reminds me ...

What is the best buy in a pre-1950 pick-up truck? I'm looking for a project vehicle.

I kind of like this Dodge K-34
Dodge_K-34_Truck_1934.jpg

I can take the humor, I get lots of kidding on my old Caprice. I am a huge fan of woodie wagons. Especially with that Di-noc Woodgrain. I am looking innto a 77 LTD Ford one soon and just bought a 63 Impala today.

Anyways, here's some photos of the 31.
ModelAand52Ford083.jpg

ModelAand52Ford016.jpg

ModelAand52Ford017.jpg

ModelAand52Ford020.jpg

Forgotten Man said:
May not be "golden Era" but more vintage then AtomicTom's contact paper woody mom-mobile! lol :p Just horsing around Tom... no offence ;)

Let's see a photo of your '31 Ford some time Tom!

Flivver

Practically Family
StraightEight said:
Interested to hear what you ultimately learned. I'm going through that exercise on the DeSoto. Coker has a private label radial substitute for the 8.5x14 (225/75-14) but the manufacturer is Denman which, as near as I can tell, specializes in tractor and backhoe tires. The car currently has Diamondback whitewalls, mfg and date unknown, but they are complete garbage. The whitewall is cracked and faded and actually peeling off one tire. And they handle like crap and make a lot of noise. Plus they ride hard (DB recommends 36-38 psi!! I'm running 32 and they feel like rocks).

Diamondback sells a Michelin-made whitewall radial (waaaay preferable), but alas not in the right size. They also have a Hankook and a Cooper though neither are exactly right (215/70). At least these are companies that make road tires. The other option is classic BFG bias-plies. I'm a bit reluctant to put bias on though they look right and carry the BFG label. Ugh. For $900 you'd think there would be more options!

My friend wound up buying Coker's B.F. Goodrich P205-75R15 wide white radials for his '59 Corvette. To my eye, they still look too modern because they have a 75 aspect ratio and a modern tread pattern, but, at least they have the correct whitewall width of 2-3/8". He admits that a set of BFG bias-ply 6.70X15s would have looked better, but since both he and his wife drive the car quite a bit, the handling characteristics of radials was of prime importance. He's very happy with his purchase, by the way.

So, it seems that one can purchase either authentic looking bias-ply tires or modern looking radials, but not authentic looking radials. From my perspective, the modern radials are the only choice unless the car is a garage queen. Many of the bias-ply repro tires are very poor quality tires made in 3rd world countries. And they often don't meet NHTSA or DOT standards.

Talbot

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
I can take the humor, I get lots of kidding on my old Caprice. I am a huge fan of woodie wagons. Especially with that Di-noc Woodgrain. I am looking innto a 77 LTD Ford one soon and just bought a 63 Impala today.

Hang with the 70's wagons Tom.

Your A would have been the equivalent of the Caprice once - just an old car that only people with vision could see the beauty within.

Talbot

Thank you. It drives me nuts when people have no vision of the charachter that vehicles have. I can appreciate the qualities of almost any vehicle besided the rice burner big spoiler side graphic jobs that you see rolling around.
Talbot said:
Hang with the 70's wagons Tom.

Your A would have been the equivalent of the Caprice once - just an old car that only people with vision could see the beauty within.

Talbot

Talbot

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
Thank you. It drives me nuts when people have no vision of the charachter that vehicles have. I can appreciate the qualities of almost any vehicle besided the rice burner big spoiler side graphic jobs that you see rolling around.

I try and be open minded, but rice-a-roni doesn't do it for me either[huh]

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
... I've noticed a lot of fellow drivers tend to keep their distance a bit when they see a classic car on the road, for fear of doing something stupid. This may give some of you who drive older cars a bit more of a buffer. Have any of you noticed this trend?

I don't drive a classic either, but am encouraged to read this observation. Around here, I'm afraid, too many drivers jump at any opportunity to do something stupid, regardless of who or what may be around them.

~Rich--my view of human nature forever poisoned by suburban commuting~

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
So true! I'm telling you, people around here don't care what year a car is, they'll tailgate anything on two or four wheels! The term stupid is very common in people's driving on the freeways of So Cal! I'm tellin' ya, getting onto the 5 one afternoon after a shift at the Observatory, I saw traffic slowing down, I was of course in the right lane... as the traffic started to clear, I noticed the car in front of me wasn't really accelerating... so, I just took my time getting into gear my self... no big deal right? WRONG! This lady started to honk her horn and flip me off behind me! I couldn't believe the nerve! She acted as if I had been going 90mph and then came to a stop!

Well, she pulled around me and I gave HER the business and I tell ya, her arms weren't doing any kind of driving or holding to the wheel! She had both hands off the wheel and they were flaying around like an octopus! It was pretty funny but, she pulled in front of me and hit the brakes! I had time to slow down and then she sped up again... and then hit the breaks... all I can say is wow!

So, there are many stupid and crazy people. A good rule of thumb is, imagine everyone on the road 100% crazy and yourself just half crazy... you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and maybe even save your own life and others.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Atomic Tom...

Say, that truck is pretty slick, now, I have a question... that grill doesn't exactly strike me as a standard Ford grill... it looks to me to be a 29 Chevy grill! The shape of it doesn't have that ford curved peak to it... looks more Chevy...

1929%20Chevrolet%20Pheaton.jpg

'31 Ford gril:

1931-ford-model-a-truck.jpg

Do ya see what I mean? The radiator shell on yours is straighter on the sides and the peak in the middle at the top is straight then dips, where as the grill on the ford is slightly curved at the sides and has more of a curved dip then the Chevy.

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
LocktownDog said:
This thread reminds me ...

What is the best buy in a pre-1950 pick-up truck? I'm looking for a project vehicle.

The 1/2 ton chevy art deco range from 41-46 are the bees knees. Not to pricey either, have my eyes on a 46' like this - in my dreams... :)

1946chevy_large.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I recall an old man driving one of them around my area plenty, dark blue with black fenders... had a 70s camper on the back though lol it was white with black and blue trim... it matched perfect however the era's were way off! lol

I recall pulling up to a light next to him once in my '46 Plymouth... he looked at me and I looked at him... I asked: What year is your Chevy? He said '46! I said, well what do ya know, same year over here but, different make. He was enjoying being at the light with another car the same year as his truck!

Fun stuff it is; all worth the time and money!

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
I recall an old man driving one of them around my area plenty, dark blue with black fenders... had a 70s camper on the back though lol it was white with black and blue trim... it matched perfect however the era's were way off! lol

I recall pulling up to a light next to him once in my '46 Plymouth... he looked at me and I looked at him... I asked: What year is your Chevy? He said '46! I said, well what do ya know, same year over here but, different make. He was enjoying being at the light with another car the same year as his truck!

Fun stuff it is; all worth the time and money!

Great story Forgotten Man. Nothing like a vintage car to generate conversation, imagine all the stories a car could tell!! A few months ago me and my boyfriend (a good aussie vintage car enthusiast) spotted a 55 Chevy Bel Air driving in front of us right near where I live. We couldn't believe it as you never see vintage cars in Dublin, especially not US cars, and it was the same model (but different colour) as his chevy! I'd never seen it around these parts. We were so excited! Its just so nice to see something with a bit of style and history. There's a lot of these little vintage inspired Nissan Figaros driving around Dublin which are certainly easier on the eye than the usual 4x4's!

nissan-figaro.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Well Betty I'm pretty sure you'd love this truck that's up on the 'Bay at the moment:

Chevrolettruck.jpg

I won't post a link as it's a live auction but google this "1941 Chevrolet Other Pickups AK eBay" and you'll find it.... It's a real beauty - I love originality. Imagine you driving to class in that truck! It would be sooooooooooo cool!
:p

Good eye! It is a Chevy grille shell. It was like that when we bought it. We bought a proper 31 shell for it, but can't remember if we replaced it or not as it was near the time we sold it. These pics are old though, we had the truck painted, and I am almost positive we put the 31 shell on there. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a pic. Again, it was a hot-rod job when we bought it, and it came a LONG way. You should have seen the non stock gauges and interior in it! Dad tried to go 50's custom on it. With the small block Chevy, but leaving it mostly stock as would have been in a hot-rodder's budget in the 50s.

Forgotten Man said:
Say, that truck is pretty slick, now, I have a question... that grill doesn't exactly strike me as a standard Ford grill... it looks to me to be a 29 Chevy grill! The shape of it doesn't have that ford curved peak to it... looks more Chevy...

Do ya see what I mean? The radiator shell on yours is straighter on the sides and the peak in the middle at the top is straight then dips, where as the grill on the ford is slightly curved at the sides and has more of a curved dip then the Chevy.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
My old car....

...was a 1966 Austin Healey 3000. If you know british sports cars you know that the big Healey was really an old car when it was new, taken right out of the 40's. It was black with red sides, red interior with chrome wire wheels and stunning from any angle. I loved it but it was mostly original and I reached a point where I would have to put money into it or sell it. With a daughter getting ready for college I chose to sell. But I still miss the thrill of motoring down the road with the top down, my hands on the three spoke wheel and listening to the carbs chortle.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
Good eye! It is a Chevy grille shell. It was like that when we bought it. We bought a proper 31 shell for it, but can't remember if we replaced it or not as it was near the time we sold it. These pics are old though, we had the truck painted, and I am almost positive we put the 31 shell on there. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a pic. Again, it was a hot-rod job when we bought it, and it came a LONG way. You should have seen the non stock gauges and interior in it! Dad tried to go 50's custom on it. With the small block Chevy, but leaving it mostly stock as would have been in a hot-rodder's budget in the 50s.

I knew it! :D I knew that was a Chevy radiator shell!

Some 50s styled custom or "hot-rod" jobs aren't too bad, I am mostly about stock but, appreciate a fun period custom/rod. Now to bring some of it back to stock = :eusa_clap

Now, to have been true 50s, ya woulda had 30s Ford V8 wire spoke rims and hub caps with white walls! ;) Too bad ya sold it.:(

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
Well Betty I'm pretty sure you'd love this truck that's up on the 'Bay at the moment:

Chevrolettruck.jpg

I won't post a link as it's a live auction but google this "1941 Chevrolet Other Pickups AK eBay" and you'll find it.... It's a real beauty - I love originality. Imagine you driving to class in that truck! It would be sooooooooooo cool!
:p

Now, I'm sure the mods would allow a link to a TRUCK on ebay, since not everyone is going to be tossing in bids on something most can't afford;)

Wish I could bid on that thing myself, I totally love the green and black! *Sigh* what a neat truck. One of these days I'll have a early pickup to tool around in for antiquing trips. Cue the Sanford theme! lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Roads of 1946 VS roads of 2009

I was thinking how much fun it would be to take my Plymouth to Arizona for Thanksgiving later tonight... now, I could have totally done it 60 years ago when the speed limit was 45-50 on Highways back then. My car loves to cruise at 40-50!

Too bad there isn't a separate stretch of road for classic car travel lol Also, many little old fashioned gas stations and diners along the way for pit stops!

Was Rob born too late?

Answer:

YES!lol :(

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
I was thinking how much fun it would be to take my Plymouth to Arizona for Thanksgiving later tonight... now, I could have totally done it 60 years ago when the speed limit was 45-50 on Highways back then. My car loves to cruise at 40-50!

Too bad there isn't a separate stretch of road for classic car travel Also, many little old fashioned gas stations and diners along the way for pit stops!

Was Rob born too late?

NO EXCUSES!! Okay, you'll have to poke along the 10 for a bit through Cabazon and the pass, but I only do 50 or so on the 101 when I go up to Monterey in the Buick and it's fine. Turn north on 62 and go through Twentynine Palms. You'll have to climb the big 1200-ft grade into Morongo Valley, so be sure your cooling system is up to the job, but take it slow and watch the gauges and you should be fine. Cross the Colorado at Parker and pick up 72 which takes you 60 and the Arizona destination of your choice. Take a bedroll and lay out under the stars for a bit. We've got a Santa Ana tonight and it should be pretty warm and clear. Sure, you'll be lonely up there on those desert two-lanes, and it'll take you a lot longer than cruising at 80 in an a/c-equipped plastic egg with the rest of the herd, but you said you wanted to go back in time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael