Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duke Ellington featured on reverse of new quarter honoring District of Columbia

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/02/24/duke.ellington.coin/

Duke Ellington featured on reverse of new quarter honoring District of Columbia

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States Mint launched a new coin Tuesday featuring jazz legend Duke Ellington, making him the first African-American to appear by himself on a circulating U.S. coin.
The District of Columbia coin honoring Duke Ellington was introduced Tuesday in Washington.

The District of Columbia coin honoring Duke Ellington was introduced Tuesday in Washington.

Ellington, the composer of classics including "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing" appears on the "tails" side of the new D.C. quarter. George Washington is on the "heads" side, as is usual with U.S. quarters.

The coin was issued to celebrate Ellington's birthplace, the District of Columbia.

U.S. Mint Director Ed Moy introduced the new coin at a news conference Tuesday at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History.

Members of Ellington's family were present at the ceremony, and the jazz band of Duke Ellington High School performed.

Ellington won the honor by a vote of D.C. residents, beating out abolitionist Frederick Douglass and astronomer Benjamin Banneker.

Also on the coin is the phrase "Justice for all." The Mint rejected the first inscription choice of D.C. voters, which was "taxation without representation," in protest of the district's lack of voting representation in Congress.

Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington received 13 Grammy Awards and a Pulitzer Prize, among numerous other honors. His orchestra's theme song, "Take the A Train," is one of the best-known compositions in jazz.

Ellington was born in the district in 1899 and composed more than 3,000 songs, including "Satin Doll," "Perdido" and "Don't Get Around Much Any More." "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing" helped usher in the swing era of jazz.

Ellington performed with other famous artists, including John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, and he traveled around the world with his orchestras.

He died in 1974 at the age of 75.

The first African-American to appear on a circulating coin was York, a slave who accompanied Lewis and Clark on their "Corps of Discovery" adventures across America at the dawn of the 19th century. The 2003 Missouri quarter features the three men together in a canoe on the obverse.

The U.S. Mint distinguishes between circulating coins, which are intended for daily use, and commemorative ones, which mark special occasions. African-Americans have appeared on commemorative coins as well as circulating ones.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
YEAH! :eusa_clap

I could crack about how they might have waited till Duke's birthday (April 29) - but what an honor! Beating out Frederick Douglass!

YEAH! :eusa_clap

And what better excuse to play one of those classic Ducal medleys...
Thru the magic of YouTube, we now take you to 1943 and the music of
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ez-ljQA2Kn8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ez-ljQA2Kn8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I didn't see where it says the coin value. Is it a quarter? I really want to be able to tell my customers "Here's your change; One dollar and two Ellingtons". Now we need Satchmo on a coin also. Can you spare a Satchmo for a fellow American who's down on his luck...

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Sefton said:
I didn't see where it says the coin value. Is it a quarter? I really want to be able to tell my customers "Here's your change; One dollar and two Ellingtons"...
Sefton, go right ahead and start telling that to your customers.

Fom the article: "Ellington, the composer of classics including 'It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing' appears on the 'tails' side of the new D.C. quarter. George Washington is on the 'heads' side, as is usual with U.S. quarters."

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
About time that America's indigenous music was honored! Considering how much money is brought in by music, it's appropriate to have it on the money.
Not to mention that Ellington was a true genius. Every Ellington song sounds so simple and easy, until you try to play it, then you discover the depth. Endlessly rewarding.

ortega76

Practically Family
This is incredible. I love Ellington. In fact, I usually listen to "Take the A Train" at least once a week- Saturdays while I take my crotchety grandfather to his physical therapy (keeps us from killing each other).

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Fantastic!

Check out Ellington '55 if you have the opportunity. While they are covers of other bands' hits, it's got ALL the Dukes men wailing on it!

ScionPI2005 said:
That's cool. I'd like to see a picture of the quarter.
If the link is still current, there was a picture there.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/02/24/duke.ellington.coin/
Mr. Edward Kennedy Ellington is shown seated at the piano, with a sheet of music in one hand.
OT - Who was the only kid in his high school to take the opportunity to go and see Duke with the Ellington orchestra?
Any guesses?
He changed into a different tuxedo for each of the three sets, white, blue & black.
We love you madly.

ortega76

Practically Family
Maybe it's the spiteful part of my personality coming forward, but I love that the initial design had the words "taxation without representation" to protest the lack of representation in Congress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy