Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meditations on doing yesterday's music today

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
An early classic of swing music is Duke Ellington's It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing), first recorded by his Famous Orchestra in 1932.
[video=youtube;-FvsgGp8rSE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FvsgGp8rSE[/video]

Especially interesting to us musicians - and perhaps to musically oriented Loungers - is the chance to contrast the recording with a note-for-note transcription played by Michael Law's Piccadilly Dance Orchestra in 2011.
[video=youtube;IyMq7_7UNZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyMq7_7UNZk[/video]

Though a high-quality, feeling rendition, there are inevitably touches they didn't re-create from 1932. Unison saxophones playing with vibrato isn't considered good musicianship any more. Really good bass players don't slap, and few trombonists care to play plunger mute style way up in the trumpet midrange. And that weird Sonny Greer style of drumming - that you feel but don't quite hear - probably couldn't be done today, because let's face it, the beat and rhythm of swing music is now standardized.

And the meaning, context and use of the music have all changed. 80 years is forever in terms of living cultures, and there is almost no "early performance practice" for jazz. You can hear the change most tellingly in the character of the beat - just listening to first few seconds of rhythm section.

- In 1932 swing was a new music, not yet defined. (Despite the song title, it didn't even have a name.) Every pioneering ensemble played it a little differently. And it was made to dance to, because people danced by the millions then. The 1932 beat has a crisp energy and a percussiveness that makes you want to move your whole body. It's a little bit raw. It's fresh.

- In 2011 this music stood in for a whole era. It's a tribute by and for people who mostly do not dance - at least not as people did in 1932. The 2011 beat is standard swing, with a light theatrical lilt. It could be danced to, but it's for snapping a quiet finger, perhaps rocking back and forth in your seat, in a club or concert hall. It's a little bit polite. It's classic.

The difference is to be expected, really. There are great musicians and groups - very few of course - who try to recreate the color and flavor of old jazz. But the point usually, as it is here, is to honor a classic recording and improvised passages as a text, without anything that could be classed as imitation.

Written notation is traditionally the highest form of transmission for classic music (even if it's not "classical music"). It pays tribute to the arranger and improvisors on the classically highest level, as composers. As long as there's a balance between feeling and faithfulness, the performance won't be a lame travesty or a stale museum piece. And that's about as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Of course, that closes the door on learning anything from recordings - which is, and was, considered unprofessional, because it doesn't give written notation the privilege it's traditionally enjoyed. Jazz students today learn to transcribe recorded solos, but the idea is to play them from the sheet, not from memory.

But how else could (say) a rhythm section study and pick up the feel of Ellington's rhythm section? We create a situation where certain things you hear in the music not only can't be taught - they can't even be learned.

220px-FredGuyLOC.jpg

Take Freddy Guy, Duke's (nearly) silent partner. He's playing what I think is a banjo on the 1932 cut. (He definitely plays it on other Ellington sessions that year.) But there is nothing audible to casual, modern ears, that would suggest the brassy, plonky sound we think of as a banjo. Let alone how a banjo player today could get such a subtle sound (if it even is a sound). Maybe fit gut strings? All right, what then?

Freddy and his banjo are below the noise level - of Brunswick's mic, of Ellington's band, maybe of history itself. But they are part of what we hear, even if they can't quite be heard. The question is, when you're trying to play this stuff, does it pay to try to capture the feel? Or are you just imitating, chasing the aura and not the music?

Maybe it's actually better to swing it in the timeless style. At least listeners and dancers will nod familiarly, and sway a little in their seats. Even if you could give them something new (to them) in the way of feel, wouldn't it be so subtle that they'd miss it, and just wonder why the music lacks the signifiers of swinging?

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch, at this point, the "Swing" era has passed and cannot be grasped between our fingers again. Anything and everything is emulation now. Just as one cannot truly recreate the Art Deco movement, no matter how true they are to the style.

I don't think that's a bad thing. It's the miracle of human mortality, life, history, and all that stuff. We're a collage of our experiences, and we can never do something a second time that happened so naturally. If we try, it's simply an emulation, a reproduction.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fletch, at this point, the "Swing" era has passed and cannot be grasped between our fingers again. Anything and everything is emulation now. Just as one cannot truly recreate the Art Deco movement, no matter how true they are to the style.

I don't think that's a bad thing. It's the miracle of human mortality, life, history, and all that stuff. We're a collage of our experiences, and we can never do something a second time that happened so naturally. If we try, it's simply an emulation, a reproduction.
But something can always be learned by trying, if it's expressive and it touches us. As a musician, though, I know that there are some kinds of expression that are considered valid and some that aren't, and it doesn't always have to do with what touches us, but what is valued culturally or educationally or whatever by the community you are part of.

If I were (say) an alternative rock musician doing basically a postmodernist, junk-heap esthetic, it wouldn't be nearly the issue it is since I play jazz. Jazz is modernist: ie, you don't go chasing inspirations from just any old period, but must be progressive and embrace only what's innovative and has lasted.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, man. The second version is so TEDIOUS by comparison! These guys suffer from the general disease of TRYING to be cool. Very selfconsciously hip. NG. No excitement! No aggression. Pfffttt.
But I HAVE heard contemporary bands that have that same pizzazz. When you come to NY I'll turn you onto my buddies Drew Nugent and Matt Musselman. They both have bands that have kick ass energy, AND play the music the way it was intended.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But something can always be learned by trying, if it's expressive and it touches us. As a musician, though, I know that there are some kinds of expression that are considered valid and some that aren't, and it doesn't always have to do with what touches us, but what is valued culturally or educationally or whatever by the community you are part of.

If I were (say) an alternative rock musician doing basically a postmodernist, junk-heap esthetic, it wouldn't be nearly the issue it is since I play jazz. Jazz is modernist: ie, you don't go chasing inspirations from just any old period, but must be progressive and embrace only what's innovative and has lasted.

But in the end, even if something is learned, and regardless of how present society values this expression, isn't it still merely emulation?

I'm not trying to invalidate Jazz musicians, or any era-specific musicians. In fact, I've had a question in my head for a while now along these lines.

What if we had a bomb shelter sealed off from the rest of the world. Inside was a child prodigy who listened to nothing but 1950's rock and roll. When he finally stepped out into the present day and decided to record some music (and assuming he wasn't just replaying the same 1950's rock he'd grown up with), what would it sound like? Would it be the same kind of music that dominated the 1960's? Would it be "genuine" since the kid wasn't tainted by the progression of music around him?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Oh, man. The second version is so TEDIOUS by comparison! These guys suffer from the general disease of TRYING to be cool. Very selfconsciously hip. NG. No excitement! No aggression. Pfffttt.
You know Danny, as I reply the cuts, I'm actually coming to agree with you.

But I HAVE heard contemporary bands that have that same pizzazz. When you come to NY I'll turn you onto my buddies Drew Nugent and Matt Musselman. They both have bands that have kick ass energy, AND play the music the way it was intended.
These young Brooklyn unhipsters may just be in the right place and time to break the rules. I'm in the east for at least 3 more weeks. Mail me.

DesertDan

One Too Many
" Really good bass players don't slap...."

Really!?
I don't know who you're listening to, but I respectfully disagree as this is simply not true. "Slap" techique is a standard in the professional bassists toolkit whether one is playing electric or upright. If we are focusing on just the double bass there are several A list players I can name just off the top of my head that are very good at slap bass.

Stanley Clarke
Brian Bromberg
Christian McBride
John Pettitucci

If we open the field to electric bassists the technique is used by many who are considered the best in the world.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
OK, I really did misspeak there. I will stand by the assertion that most really good bassists don't slap. It's more a classical instrument today than it was decades ago, and that's a profane technique in classical circles. Even in jazz, it's often thought of as gimmicky now - it's embraced only by rockabilly, which is really a cult.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I will agree with the "classical" genre in which slap was never a part of the lexicon. And it is true that the electric has eclipsed the double in almost every other style (though there has been quite the resurgence in recent years). So if you are stating that since most very good double bassists are orchestral players and thus don't utilize slap technique, then I agree. Further, I will agree that is is far less utilized on the double than the electric.

If you are stating that most very good bassists, in general and regardless of style, do not slap because it is considered unothodox then once again I disagree. In fact I would state the opposite, that most very good bassists incorporate slap into their skillset to be used when called for. There are several syles of music in which slap bass is mainstream and in several others it is quite often used as embellishment. Again this is predominately an electric bass technique but many of the "young lions" of jazz double bass are incorporating it in their approach to the instrument.

I wish to restate that I am not trying to be argumentive or disrepectful to you in any way. As a bassplayer of 30+ years (including a bit of double bass in my youth) bass playing in all it's forms is a subject near and dear to my heart. :D

DesertDan

One Too Many
Oh and regarding your OP,

You are absolutely right, the originals had the fire and the groove that the newbies have a hard job doing justice to.

For me the concept is that new artists are capable of brining new vision to old styles.

The idea that the era is closed and we are culturally and maybe genetically too far past a certain style seems well in a way narcisisstic and self seving.

Now there are some people that are good at capturing early styles like Ondrej Havelka, and perhaps Max Raabe or Dean Mora. Others seem to be too derivative to really nail it, but we have to consider that artists need the freedom to explore and create. If we simply say you can't do swing, or dixieland jazz or X-type of blues anymore because you're to distant from the source to be legit that cutss off too many from that exploration.

For me personally anything loosely labeled 'the Blues' and recorded in the last 30 years tends to be derivations of derivations of derivations to the point of being hackneyed 95% of the time out of the gate - however there is the 5% when it hits it.

It is true that for many the inspiration changes with the times and that changes the music but it doesn't always invalidate the music.

I have seen a few bands in the last 2-3 years that were very adept at playing that Jump, Jive and Wail style along the lines of Louis Prima and they were able to create new music that was really in style and exciting.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Fletch, what is the point that you are making? Is Swing stuck in a time capsule? I do dance, Lindy, Balboa, Jitterbug and all the jive variations. Many times I get told: That ain't Lindy, or some other negative comment. I wasn't around like those musicians of the 30's and the dancers too, and whilst I can watch them on Youtube, do I really have to emulate them? What does annoy me are bareface remixes that seem to be plagiarised from the original. How did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfCFU3Mqww ever get to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScjucUV8v0 without lawsuits?
The past is always a rich source of inspiration, even Shakespeare read the greek and latin classics, but to imply that a copy is an original is plagiarism. The way it should be done is like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTlo809EIlo drawing inspiration from gypsy jazz, to this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74LXx0wSqMI the latter is not gypsy jazz and all the better for it, but it's clear where the inspiration came from.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Agreed. In my opinion a style of music is never complete or "closed" and this is where I believe that most purist go wrong.

Where I think that the purists have a valid point is in the effort to preserve the original form, free from derivation so that in a sense the style has a touchstone to connect it to its roots.

Edward

Bartender
Fletch, what is the point that you are making? Is Swing stuck in a time capsule? I do dance, Lindy, Balboa, Jitterbug and all the jive variations. Many times I get told: That ain't Lindy, or some other negative comment. I wasn't around like those musicians of the 30's and the dancers too, and whilst I can watch them on Youtube, do I really have to emulate them? What does annoy me are bareface remixes that seem to be plagiarised from the original. How did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfCFU3Mqww ever get to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScjucUV8v0 without lawsuits?
The past is always a rich source of inspiration, even Shakespeare read the greek and latin classics, but to imply that a copy is an original is plagiarism. The way it should be done is like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTlo809EIlo drawing inspiration from gypsy jazz, to this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74LXx0wSqMI the latter is not gypsy jazz and all the better for it, but it's clear where the inspiration came from.

Lindy hoppers are the reason I lost all interest in Lindy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran