Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Durable cotton t-shirts to pair with leather jackets

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Edward,
Good question. The last time I looked, they were both manufacturing in China (hence the low prices). And you're right about quality and China.
It's interesting that ring spun 100% cotton shirts can be made and sold in packs of three for 10 bucks in China, and yet in the rest of the world this is some kind of retro-vintage 'lost technology' that justifies crazy prices.
Marketing at it finest combined with myopic worldview that doesn't understand how China is coming along? I don't know.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i buy pique cotton fabric, and have them made to size. I like how poloshirt material drapes or the lack of it, imo gives off better slim silhouette without showing how skinny I am like the way I usually look in jersey fabrics.
zKybHfE.jpg

Poloshirt fabrics doesnt stretch so neck hole should be big enough for the head i added long turtle neck i can tuck in to look thick like how i wear them most of the time under jacket, or wear over my mouth when wearing open face helmet on the bike, or wear over my head as hoodie. I left the edges raw as they dont unravel and would roll nicely making soft round edges

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
I own an Iron Heart IHT1600, a very heavy durable T in my opinion. It is possibley the most ridiculous item of clothing I own though, it's so thick it's completely useless as a Tshirt in warm weather and so I think it'll probably out last me.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Over here in the UK I mainly use John Lewis who sell decent (own brand) T shirts from £10.00 to £20.00..their ivory (off white) fitted T's with short sleeves are hard wearing, wash well, keep their shape & remind me of early US military T's.

Superfluous

My t-shirt compulsion is more prevalent than my leather jacket compulsion. I have over 100 solid and striped short-sleeved t-shirts hanging in my closet (and countless more long-sleeved t-shirts and henleys). In fact, I purchased seven new short-sleeved t-shirts during the past week (3 Stevenson Overall, 1 RMC, and 3 Freenote). The Stevenson Overall t-shirts are incredible and have jumped to the top of my list of favorite t-shirt brands.

As has been discussed here before ( https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/preferred-t-shirt-model-brand-under-jacket.95384/ ), TFL members apply varied approaches concerning t-shirts and my approach is different than certain other members. Many perceive t-shirts solely as an under-garment, rather than a front-line clothing article. If your t-shirts are always worn underneath, and covered by, a top layer, that particular usage obviously affects your approach to t-shirts. I, on the other hand, wear my t-shirts as a top layer, front and center, such that the t-shirt is a focus of my ensemble. This obviously affects my approach to t-shirts.

I suspect that many of the $15 or less t-shirts mentioned in this thread are durable and serve their purpose well. That said, they are not of the same quality and workmanship, and do not incorporate the same fabrics and stitching, as top flight t-shirts. For many, "quality and workmanship" are oxymoronic in the context of t-shirts. I get it. If you wear t-shirts solely as under-garments, that makes sense. I, on the other hand, place great value in high quality t-shirts that incorporate stellar fabrics, stitching, and workmanship. The difference between a Stevenson Overall or TFL t-shirt and a Hanes or Costco t-shirt is night and day. I personally value the material differences and I am willing to pay the associated delta in price. As with leather jackets and most other products, there is a point of diminishing returns and t-shirts from Stevenson Overalls and TFL, among other brands, are way, way beyond that point. Thus, I certainly understand why, for many, the delta in price is not worth the delta in quality. As with leather jackets and most other products, these types of value determinations are entirely subjective and personal, and there is no universal truth or objectively correct choice. Rather, each of us buy t-shirts according to our individual preferences and personal value determinations.

My favorite short-sleeve t-shirt brands are:

Stevenson Overalls
Real McCoys
Flat Head
Pure Blue Japan
Warehouse
Freewheelers
Norse Projects
Roundabout Goods
Freenote
Reigning Champ
Rag and Bone
Lady White
RRL
Sunspel
Filson

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I have a few pairs of Fruit of the Loom Heavy cotton T-shirts that are pretty robust, large variety of colours although I only have black and white ones. They are pretty heavyweight but they aren't very soft but that doesn't bother me.

I'll probably buy more when these ones eventually die.
I second this. These are the white tees I wear. I use softener to make them softer, and they're very durable. They also stay tucked very nicely.

Rich22

Practically Family
Wow, loads of recommendations to check out- thanks lads!

In terms of the cheap ones, will definitely check out the Kirkland (Cosco) shirts... I bought their socks a few times and was really impressed.

It's interesting that ring spun 100% cotton shirts can be made and sold in packs of three for 10 bucks in China, and yet in the rest of the world this is some kind of retro-vintage 'lost technology' that justifies crazy prices.

I live in China and I spotted the same thing. Why we now revere that construction and chuck on silly prices I don't know. If only the Chinese T-shirts were made from reasonable cotton and were not ridiculously boxy... I can see why people manufacture here when it's so darn cheap, and the construction quality *can* be great. I've met people that work in the fashion business here and contract factories to produce every level of quality. If they're aiming for top end stuff they make that very clear and send samples to a lab in Germany for analysis to make sure they're getting what they're paying for.

FlatCap99

One of the Regulars
Ten years ago it was still possible to buy thick, durable, classic looking t-shirts on the high street, but fast fashion seems to have replaced those with thin and feeble replicas (admittedly at low prices). Even the likes of Abercrombie made bullet proof ‘premium’ t shirts back then.

Totally agree on the Abercrombie. I know it is not a highly touted brand here, but back in the day they made really durable clothing. I actually look for their old stuff online and take off all the logos because I can't find shirts that fit the way I want them to. It is super tedious, but worth it. I actually bought some light gray unbranded t shirts on Ebay and they fit amazing. They seem to be real Abercrombie, but even if it's not, the build quality on them is really nice, but a link is below. For the price you can't go wrong. I think they have all sizes, but this is a link to the medium, but if you want other colors, you may need to unbrand them yourself. I own a lot of their old henley shirts as well which I took the appliques off of and i wear them all spring, fall, and winter with my jackets. It's a shame slim fit coming into style missed the boat of the heavy, durable clothing era :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Abercrombie-Fitch-Mens-Super-Soft-Unprinted-Muscle-T-Shirt-New-Medium-Grey/202670857463?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item2f301fdcf7:g:LyMAAOSw--xbGDwV&enc=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&checksum=20267085746393fec301476f4ce390005a41bd4bdf9f

Rich22

Practically Family
Had I known they were going to drop their quality so low, I’d have bought a load more of their old t shirts. Their best stuff 10 years ago was second to none in terms of quality. They’re aiming for a different market now and in the UK they’re selling for about 25% of their peak price, so at least we can’t accuse them of dropping the quality but keeping the price high.

Rich22

Practically Family
They still make some nice stuff, which may surprise everyone- I bought a lovely western shirt there a year ago. Great fabric, perfect athletic cut, and a good price. But most of their offerings are dismal- couldn’t even find an acceptable sweatshirt, and their old sweatshirts were absolutely top notch.

Mich486

One Too Many
That super fitted cut of the Abercrombie muscle fit t-shirts has gone out of fashion. Although we don’t bother much about fashion around here I can’t say I miss the super slim everything trend.

I had one Abercrombie t-shirt c.2005 and it was a thick well made t-shirt although I didn’t get much use out of it as it was too warm for summer and with all that embroidery not very comfortable as under layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am still not paying more than $2 for a T shirt. What the hell! Even the most "quality" ones are full cotton which means they're too warm. I'm not paying money for an ugly piece of clothing - a shirt with sleeves cut off - that doesn't even justify its existence. They're ugly and they're not helping battling the heat. What's the point?

Superfluous

Am still not paying more than $2 for a T shirt. What the hell! Even the most "quality" ones are full cotton which means they're too warm. I'm not paying money for an ugly piece of clothing - a shirt with sleeves cut off - that doesn't even justify its existence. They're ugly and they're not helping battling the heat. What's the point?

Why the hyperbolic commentary that not so indirectly disparages those, including me, who prefer quality t-shirts? In my earlier post, I acknowledged the legitimate reasons why some prefer inexpensive t-shirts and noted that it ultimately comes down to personal preference. In your response, you summarily dismiss -- and arguably mock -- those who disagree with you. Perhaps I should cease making respectful posts that embrace differing views and, instead, brow-beat anyone who disagrees with my subjective opinions. Here it goes:

Your $2 t-shirts are "ugly" precisely because you paid $2 for them and, in so doing, you prioritized cost over appearance. Good looking t-shirts are readily available, but not for your self-imposed, comically low $2 price ceiling. Short-sleeve t-shirts serve a critically important aesthetic purpose in warmer climates, but you are too myopically consumed by your own subjective preferences to acknowledge the obvious benefits of short-sleeve t-shirts for others. Even when worn as an undergarment, short-sleeve t-shirts can enhance, or detract from, the overall ensemble. I have posted jacket photos here, only to receive compliments regarding the t-shirt I am wearing underneath the jacket. Conversely, I have seen many a jacket photo here where the t-shirt underneath the jacket seriously detracted from the overall presentation. In other words, articles of clothing interact with each other and the overall presentation is only as good as the weakest link. Yesterday, someone posted a jacket shot and received more comments about his footwear than his jacket. You asked: "What's the point?" For some, the "point" is to wear quality clothing that looks good, and to exalt quality and appearance over maximizing value and bang for the buck. For some who wear short-sleeve t-shirts as a front-line clothing article that is the focus of their daily clothing ensemble, the appearance and quality of their t-shirt is of paramount importance and a $2 Kirkland offering may not be desirable. As you said: "What the hell?" Why isn't the foregoing obvious to you? Why do you feel the need to mock people who wear short-sleeve t-shirts as a front-line clothing article and prefer something other than $2 t-shirts as the focus of their daily clothing ensemble? Why is this so troubling to you?

Ok, I tried your approach. Frankly, I prefer more respectful posts that acknowledge the legitimacy of the subjective positions set forth by others. As you said, "What's the point?" "What's the point" of a post mocking those who disagree with you?

It never ceases to fascinate me how some people will spend $1,500 or more on a leather jacket, or $400 plus on a denim jacket, without flinching, but refuse to spend -- and mock others who spend -- more than than $10 on a t-shirt, or more than $30 on a flannel, or more than $50 on footwear. To each his own. My personal preference for quality clothing does not end with outerwear.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ