Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duxford, UK - Flying Legends Airshow

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
@ all british members and experienced Duxford visitors: I need your advice, please.

As I wrote in my very first thread we are planing to travel from Germany to Duxford to visit the airshow on weekend July, 8th.
The ferry is booked, the campground as well. Now we are browsing the Duxford site and checking the different ticket prices. Here is the point where I request your help. Which ticket do you recommend? - We would like to have the chance to get as close as possible to the warbirds on the runway. Taking pics with a hand on a propellor or so is our goal. ;)
Is it neccessary to get the gold pass tickets? What are you doing to get a good spot to see everything quiet clear? Any suggestions?
Looking forward in getting your usefull responses.

Thanks

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Go for Gold !

Hi again Juergen

I have been only once to Duxford Flying Legends in 2004. I got the cheapest basic ticket and managed to get good views of everything. Many people had brought their own folding chairs with them but you can buy these chairs at the show quite cheaply anyway. I think the best thing is to arrive very early and then you can choose a good place to sit wherever you want.
But I guess the Gold pass would be the best ticket for you to get if you want to get close to the aircraft as you describe.
Apart from the airshow, there is the Imperial War Museum and many other attractions. Also there are many trade stands selling WW2 militaria etc and of course people such as Eastman leather. I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Colin

matei

One Too Many
Hiya,

I am interested in attending Duxford 2006 as well.

How many different types of planes are there? Just Spits and Mustangs, or does the odd Messerschmidt appear as well?

Also - if you don't have the Gold pass, then you can't get close to the planes?

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hi All,

In regards to the Gold Pass you get the following for £ 70 or 100 Euros or $122 - Marquee with seating area, viewing area by flight line, access to flight line so you get pretty close up without too many obstructions of peoples heads if you want to take some nice close up pics, no free tea and coffee, they do it for the other shows but not this one, a souvenir brochure and most importantly the near by toilet ! I wouldn't recommend going for the lunch as it is nothing special but you are not restricted to stay in that area all the time. I am normally too busy going to the trade stands and wasting my money with the kids !

As for the aircraft, there is a good mixture, I have no interest in WWI planes so thats when I normally go for a walk but the WWII stuff is great.

It's a good show and if you can get to it, enjoy !

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Personally, I'm happy with a folding chair and a basic ticket. Picking the right spot at the right time ssems to be the secret. If I want to get extra-close to the aeroplanes, I do it at Shuttleworth or have a quiet word in friendly ears.

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
I think this year I will do the folding chair with a flask, sarnies and hankie on the head as most of the time you are looking up in the sky ! I know I will miss my dedicated parking area with the Gold Pass but what the hell, you've still got to bleedin' walk ! It would be nice to meet up with a few people off here aswell, even if it is just to say hello! :)

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
My Sentiments Exactly !!

:eusa_clap Wise decision - why pay a LOT more for NOT MUCH more ??? I'll look out for you, though I can hardly miss that jacket artwork !!!

Don't forget your 10 x 50's !!

Colin

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
I'll probably turn up in an original battered A-2, sporting the McQueen look or OZ from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. You can't miss me, I will have in tow with me 2 or 3 children with painted A-2's all with binos. Had to get the kids 7x42 and 8x42's as the 10's were too heavy even for me and you need a steady hand.

So you'll easily recognise us by our bino straps on us which will either be Leica or Swarovski - no compromise! ;)

MDFrench

A-List Customer
I went to the Duxford air show in 1993, and while I know that was a long time ago, the planes I saw there were an amazing mix. You had B-17 Sally B alongside a B-25 and B-26 Maurauder, there were Spitfires and Mustangs, one Messerschmitt that was extremely impressive, a Jap Zero, a P-38 (now crashed), I believe a Hurricane, a P-40, a Corsair, biplanes out the yin-yang and other stuff I can't remembet, including jets. They even had a Junkers cargo plane (the one with the radial on its nose and made of corrugated sheet metal) on static display outside.

A 13 year old review, but there it is... That's the scope you should be expecting.

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
Thank you guys, so far. This are many different suggestions and I am still not sure which tickets will be the best for us. ;)
We will see, maybe there will come some more interresting posts that will lead our decision.

Semper Fi

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
Duxford here we come!

Exactly 30 hours from now and we are starting our engines and take off to Duxford.
We will do the folding chair thing and look forward to an exciting weekend. Hope to meet some of you guys. How about a group pic of Lounge members with an interresting war bird in the back? All of you visitors - have a nice time.

C ya

J.B.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
J.B.Saxon said:
Hi Doc,

we will be there saturday and sunday. Keep your eyes open. We will wear A-2s and crushers ;)

J.B.

And indeed you were! Good to meet you both, and I hope you enjoyed the flying as much as I did.

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]And indeed you were! Good to meet you both, and I hope you enjoyed the flying as much as I did.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yes Doc, we did! It was a pleasure to change some words with you but it was a shame that we didn´t meet some more of you guys [huh]
- Maybe next time :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic