Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early 1930s BELTED BACK SUIT, JET BLACK !

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
It seems that they're envious, angst-ridden, and bitter about it ;):

Me? I'm delighted that extraordinary vintage men's suits --and not only the wild Rockabilly gab and Nudie's Rodeo Tailors variety-- are, at least this once, fetching prices which befit their rarity and beauty.

Well said Marc, and to be fair, that suit would have only cost me £500, which is 1/3 of what a Savile Row suit would cost, and its far superior in my opnion.

Although Ive gotten some fab pieces of vintage for very, very cheap in amazing condition, I have no problem opening my wallet for the pieces that truly deserve it (uh, when possible :rolleyes: ).

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I know, I'm a man of little means and it does make me worried to see these suits go for so much... but, have I ever found one that would fit me? Not really :( But, I believe that if Forgotten Man is to have a suit like this, it will either be unearthed in a place that doesn't realize what they have and I'll get it for a reasonable price or, I may have to shell out something for it at a vintage expo or online. Either or, I hope the day will be soon because I'd love a suit like this... heck, I'd sell off a slew of my suits just to have one like that!

Paying $813. is a lot of money for a "used suit" if you think of it that way... but, when you look at the quality and the details that these original suits have, a copy being made of that suit would exceed $1000. easily and it wouldn't have any history or be as interesting as the original garment. Would last longer but just be missing that special something that original clothes have.

On the other hand, it is the holiday season and people are looking to buy! The iron is hot and ready to be struck! Another time of year these suits may not go for as much! Always up and down with these things, one can’t expect something to hold its value forever.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Very, very nice suit. I agree that it's worth the price, even if that price is way beyond me (until my ship comes in ... where is that ship anyway?? I think it hit an iceberg :D ). If only it had been seven or eight sizes larger, and I'd seen it sooner, and it had gone for one-eighth the price ... or as the Russians say, if Granny had wheels she'd be a trolleybus ... :rolleyes: Meanwhile it was a pleasure just to look at the pictures, Marc. Thanks for showing us.

~Rich

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
I know, I'm a man of little means and it does make me worried to see these suits go for so much... but, have I ever found one that would fit me? Not really :( But, I believe that if Forgotten Man is to have a suit like this, it will either be unearthed in a place that doesn't realize what they have and I'll get it for a reasonable price or, I may have to shell out something for it at a vintage expo or online. Either or, I hope the day will be soon because I'd love a suit like this... heck, I'd sell off a slew of my suits just to have one like that!

Paying $813. is a lot of money for a "used suit" if you think of it that way... but, when you look at the quality and the details that these original suits have, a copy being made of that suit would exceed $1000. easily and it wouldn't have any history or be as interesting as the original garment. Would last longer but just be missing that special something that original clothes have.

On the other hand, it is the holiday season and people are looking to buy! The iron is hot and ready to be struck! Another time of year these suits may not go for as much! Always up and down with these things, one can’t expect something to hold its value forever.

Well, look at it this way. With your knowledge, living where you do, you likely pick up all kinds of deals in your size and smaller. If you sold what you have found that is not so great, and ad up those things you have sold for a profit here and there, you likely could easily afford a suit like this. But i suspect, if a suit ever does come your way like this in your size, it will be from a special connection or the dumb luck that comes from years of preparation for that luck. i am sure some great suits are in your future.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Rich, this auction is not over yet: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160386568700 It ends tomorrow (Friday) at 8:00 pm, Pacific Standard Time. Keep watching ...

Um, no offense, but who ends an auction at eight on a friday evening? :) I suppose with this suit, it doesn't matter much. But I posted some auctions on friday once, so i did them five days or ten days so they would not end on friday or saturday night.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
With big ticket, very desirable vintage items, it doesn't matter at all. Last-second bidders will use pre-programmed "robot" snipe services.

Yeah, that is what I figured. Besides that, anyone who is willing to shell out eight hundred or so is not going to miss the auction end if he doesn't use a sniper. this isn't a, maybe i will bid maybe I won't.

It is funny. A suit like this will find it's own price, but all it takes is two guys to whom money is not a big deal to bid it way beyond normal. Imagine a guy who routinely spends two grand on a suit, and reads that vintage suits are really cool, so he says, well two grand for this suit seems reasonable.

We are jsut lucky that most multi millionaires are not vintage wearers. what if bill gates decided to build abig vintage collection. We would all be screwed.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Mysterious Mose said:
Money Back Smith. How cool is that?:D
Another one:
!Bkge+kgBmk~$(KGrHqUH-EEEs+GEi5!uBL(087nyU!~~_3.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy