Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman BoB 1940 or 1942 ??

slicker63

Familiar Face
Hi Guys... I've posted on other peoples threads and the classifieds before... but this time would like your advice please...
I'm new to the site.... and the threads and posts have been very helpful .... and interesting!!
I got my Eastman BoB 1940 new broken grain last night..... apart from it having to go back to get a size smaller.... i may change to the 1942 as I'm not sure that I like the orange reddish colour...... the 42 seems to be more subtle... a little less sheen to it as well.....
Does anyone have any experience with them and know which may be more authentic...
Thanks

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned several from both versions over the years. The earlier production models are generally better than the current ones and these can be bought second hand on Ebay or from this forum. The current '40 and '42 jackets are good repros, but the devil is in the detail. The finish of both jackets is wrong. This is apparent when you compare them with a lightly worn original. The skin used is always too thin. However the external finish on the 1944 Devon fleece jacket is very close to originals. I have seen originals from 1938-40 which have a reddish finish and ELC do quite a good job with the colour of the skin, but the zips are wrong. IMO originals are the way to go.

slicker63

Familiar Face
Thanks for that Andrew.....I did buy an older BoB from John Lever off this site..... and as much as I tried it was marginally too small.... Gutted..... and you're right they are better... in terms of the hide so i'll keep trawling the listings for a 44.... although from an aesthetic point of view I do like the broken grain Eastman do it just sets it apart from most other jackets out there........I put my name down for a Devon fleece in July so hopefully I may get one next year... and its reassuring to hear you singing its praises....
I've kept an eye out for originals.... but I know its wishful thinking with my 45" chest!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic