Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Roughwear 1401 A-2 jacket - Holy Grail!

Brettafett

One Too Many
I am happy to report that I have recently taken possession of my umpteenth A-2 jacket and can finally say, “we have a keeper folks!”
Brett_ELCRW1401_2_07.JPG
Jimmy Stewart’s A-2 (as seen in You Gotta Stay Happy) has always been ‘the standard’ for me.
JimmyStewart_B24CU.jpg

And even though I have been through various ‘contracts’ from various repro makers, the RW1401 was always my favourite - just could never find one that ‘worked’ for me… Until now.

This jacket is simply amazing on all accounts. The fit, the cut, the leather…
Eastman has hit a home run with their Vintage Havana Horsehide, and have produced something nothing short of fantastic.

Now I won’t get into the ‘who makes the best repro’ game, I have had from most, and they are all good, but this jacket… simply nails it.

The jacket fits me like a glove. Trim, but not too trim and (with slight lengthening) I have perfect lengths. The jacket is not restrictive in any way and I can move around quite comfortably without the sleeves riding up to my elbows.
Brett_ELCRW1401_2_13.JPG

Brett_ELCRW1401_2_10.JPG

Brett_ELCRW1401_2_11.JPG

Stitching is done to perfection and everything lines up and is symmetrical.
Brett_ELCRW1401_2_01.JPG

Brett_ELCRW1401_2_02.JPG

Now, this Havana hide… For those of you toying with the idea of a high end repro, get a sample of this stuff!
Its something special…
Brett_ELCRW1401_2_03.JPG

Comparing this jacket with the sample I received - they look and feel identical, so the sample should give you a good representation.
Brett_ELCRW1401_2_04.JPG

This aniline leather has stunning grain, character and oodles of natural creasing. The colour has a rich depth, not at all ‘reddy’, and in sunlight seems to show layers of hues… Nice!
Its of a medium thickness and weight, definitely feels robust, not heavy and not thin.
Brett_ELCRW1401_2_05.JPG

This jacket is going to age beautifully and will only get better with time.

A big thanks to Rose, who put this jacket together. Her expertise and attention to detail clearly shows she is a master of her trade.
Also to Rob in the UK and Charles in the US, for their patience and tireless correspondence over the last few months. Impeccable customer service. I am very pleased.

Apologies for the photos, they are not great, but this is the best I can do at this point. I will try get better pics once the Sun comes out and I get some time off work.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Spot on, Brett!! I'm still in the hunt for my ideal fit... Guess I need to go through about a half dozen more haha

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That looks great!

When you say "(with slight lengthening)" do you mean the LONG version, with 1" added to sleeves and body?
Or were you able to ask for a specific length?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's one swell piece of smutter, I've got an ELC RW A-2 too & love it :)

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yes, its a 'long' version. I prefer the extra length, much more comfortable as a day to day wearer.
From experience, as the jacket wears in, it creases up and this may seem to 'shorten', at least for me, that happens.
(Perfect out of the box, but after 6 months, the sleeves seemed to have shortened)...
The extra body length works for me as well, as I tend to wear low rise jeans mostly. Anyhoo. Just my preference.
A-2 look is very subjective and personal.
JimmyStewart_Briefing.jpg

Yeah, I recon poor Jimmy's jacket was a touch short, at least in the sleeves, but that didn't seem to bother him...

Thanks for the compliments guys. Just shows... with enough patience - you can find that 'keeper' ;D

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yeah, those sleeve creases are natural, I didn't do a thing but wear it. And its only been sporadic wearing over a couple of weeks since unboxed!

Another WW2 RW1401, worn by Hub Zemke.
Zemke_Hub.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That is absolutely superb Brett! Everything is spot on with it.

I know that you have been after the perfect A-2 for a long time now and spent a lot of money on a lot of A-2s. I'm really pleased for you that you have finally made it. Always nice to see when someone completely nails it and they're 110% happy.

Wear the hell out of it and enjoy!

Stand By

One Too Many
BULLS-EYE !! I'd be thrilled with that!

Great photos and review. Thanks for posting! Looks fantastic and I'm glad for you that you finally have the jacket you always hankered and hunted for. Brilliant.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I was so inspired, in fact, that I'm wearing my still wet, cold soaked GW Monarch at this moment- trying to get some extra breathing room in it!!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great stuff. Congratulations mate. I really like shape of that collar. I know nothing about A-2 jackets, but I know what I like, and that looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy