Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! Glad I didn't beat myself up too much over the Stetson hat. These two purchases made up for it in droves!! Though I already have a 7 1/4 block, I wanted the 1/8 so that I can get the creases out of certain hats without needing to remove the sweatband. We'll see how this works out.

With these 3 tools, it gives me much more flexibility when buying hats that are either too big or too small. I'm just waiting for a bargain bin hat that I can practice on. Next on the horizon is a hat stretcher.

-30-

A-List Customer
I went to http://antiqueshowscanada.com/gadsdens-toronto-vintage-clothing-show/ with great anticipation today on the understanding that Fred Turner would

be in attendance; wrong. After asking two of the dealers that I know as to his whereabouts (Samantha and Yank) and receiving "He ain't here, but

why not

speak with Jonathan Hagey". I did just that and, no hats but a rather fine black silk batwing necktie.

Not a Great Day, but not a fail, either.

Regards,
-30-

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
"That would have been a bummer he was even on the website as coming."
QUOTE: The Wiser Hatter.

And hat boxes too!

Another one is next fall.

Regards,
-30-

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs 20, 7 3/8 - cheap

Stetson 100 case

I love this one - Davis Hat Co., Alamo model western, 7 1/8

$T2eC16V,!)8E9s4l7,)eBRYKv5BeN!~~60_57.JPG

skydog757

A-List Customer
Purchased a nice Champ Rugged Man in a greenish/grey color in excellent shape. Not cheap, but reasonable as I was the only bidder. Listed as size 7 3/8 (my size) arrived labeled as 7 5/8 (NOT my size). I contacted the seller, our (edited) correspondence follows, most recent on top:

Dear skydog757,

7/8 in circumference is 2/8 in diameter which is MINIMAL. However since your going to be unmanageable to work with, you can clearly see at the bottom of the purchase page of the item you bought in large letters NO REFUND. You judging my intellect makes this conversation null. We will no longer "talk" and Ebay will take it from here.

- e******e

To: e******e
Subject: Re: Other: skydog757 sent a message about Vintage Gray RUGGED MAN - CHAMP HAT #271177435690
Sent Date: Apr-10-13 17:30:54 PDT

Dear erosskyee,

J*****,

Hat sizing is different than sizing for other clothing items; 7 5/8 IS two sizes larger than 7 3/8. The very chart that you sent shows that. And it is not miniscule; again referring to the very chart that you sent the measurable size difference is 7/8 of an inch; a head does NOT gain or lose nearly an inch in circumference "in a day or a haircut".

I am not bickering over a minor detail. Hat size, particularly for a fitted hat, is important. Resizing can cost $15 per size (or $30) at some hat repair shops (you can check the Worth and Worth site if you like). Why don't you do some research and then we can talk.

Rod

- skydog757

To: skydog757
Subject: Re: Other: skydog757 sent a message about Vintage Gray RUGGED MAN - CHAMP HAT #271177435690
Sent Date: Apr-10-13 14:14:17 PDT

Dear skydog757,

Oh I see and yes it was an honest mistake. However 7 5/8 and 7 3/8 is not even close to 2 sizes. 2 sizes would be 5 5/8 and 7 5/8 or something of the like. A head probbably changes with humidity that size in a day not to mention a hair cut. This size is minuscule and should not effect the wearing of the hat. However if your still unhappy we can work something out.

To: erosskyee
Subject: Other: skydog757 sent a message about Vintage Gray RUGGED MAN - CHAMP HAT #271177435690
Sent Date: Apr-10-13 13:40:37 PDT

Dear e******e,

The problem does remain about the hat size, though. If you like I can send you a picture of the hat tag. Everything else about the hat is as described; I do like it but I don't know about re-sizing.

I know that this was an honest mistake and I am sure that we can work this out.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

People who do not understand their merchandise, honest business practices or customers are getting to be all too common on ebay. I've spoken to a representative at ebay and hope for a positive outcome.

Rod

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Post a pic of the hat. You might be able to just sell it onwards and make something in the middle. 7 5/8 is a much rarer size than 7 3/8 and is generally worth more.

If you do end up having to go through ebay you'll still be out the return shipping so it's something to consider.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I'd definately resell it. As stated above, 7 5/8 is rare size, due to the smaller number of hats being made in those sizes. The demand for those large sizes is quite high, so turn this loss into a gain!

viclip

Practically Family
I found the original listing on eBay. That's a nice looking hat/box combo. From the pics it looks NOS ~ is it in pristine condition as it appears? I happen to be a 7-5/8 & while I'm unfamiliar with the "Champ" brand, this is something that I might be interested in. It does seem that the box is marked 7-3/8, even if that's the case it wouldn't bother me, since I'm more of a hat wearer than a hardcore collector. I doubt you'd have any problem re-selling this item.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Yes, the box does show it as 7 3/8, but it must have been labeled incorrectly or the hat was swapped out for the same model of a different size. Not pictured is the 7 5/8 tag. It is a nice hat and I really like the way it looks, but I do like to wear my hats and I'm unsure how much the shape might change with a resizing.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
With a resizing, it depends on the block used. since this is an older hat, it should be more of a straight block, which a professional hatter would have. Remember, when going down in size, you gain brim, when going up a size, you lose some brim. If you really like the hat, I say have it resized. The difference wont be too noticable, expically if done right. Check out Optimo.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
With how well it matches, I'm really not sure, but unless it can be tucked behind the sweat, this is one of the few instances where I would encourage a bit of modernization (to the extent one "modernizes" anachronistic accessories by removing superfluous facial straps).

yttclothing

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic