Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Levallois

Practically Family
Got a Royal Stetson Stratoliner that's had the ribbon modified. Going to change it back to a thin ribbon but here it is as bought. Other than ribbon change it's perfect. The tag indicates $10 price. It has the plastic liner cover. So does that mean early 50s? Thanks for looking.

18739b16acee1e92961ee1ade409f634.jpg

4466cf5190e00a71a293529d21bb684d.jpg

82ebf5bd7ac6ea4a4d364ffe825f903b.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
It isn't ebay, but I have to vent...

On a recent antiquing expedition, I found an absolutely gorgeous, near mint silk collapsilble opera top hat for $140. It looked at first glance that the hand written tag said 7 1/2, my hat size. I was practically giddy when I asked the shopkeeper to let me have a look at it. It was an amazing experience to handle such a magnificent hat...

Imagine my horror when I learned that the size was actually 7 1/8, rather too small for my big noggin. ;_; SO CLOSE. I very nearly bought the dang thing to trade or sell, but I felt I didn't know enough about top hats to be sure of a profit.

Alas, I nearly became the proud owner of a vintage top hat...

fedoracentric

Banned
Stetson Nutria, 1920s Goes for HUGE cash

This beaut went for $482.77!!!! Yowza.

stetson_Nutria_01.JPG

From the description:

Vintage 1920s period Stetson Clear Nutria 'extra light weight' Long Hair Fedora. A really beautiful, and I think fairly rare hat. Sold by 'The Guerdan Hat Co. St. Louis'. Deeply embossed John B. Stetson Co. logo on the leather sweatband. Marked a size '7-1/4' but fits more like a snug 7-1/8. Measures 21-3/4 inches around the inside. The brim measures 2-5/8 inches wide and the crown is about 5-1/2 inches high. 2 inch black grosgrain hatband. Nice shaggy very dark black nutria fur. I lightened the photos a little to show the texture. The hat is soft, very flexible and remarkably light. I don't think it was worn much, if ever. Near perfect condition except for a handful of scattered moth nips which are fairly well camouflaged because of the hats furry texture. I photographed and circled a couple on top of the crown and point one out on the underside of the brim. I didn't notice the nips at all when I bought the hat as supposedly 'new-old-stock'. No other issues. Check out the photos and ask any questions. A really spectacular early Stetson. thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-STETS...Om3x6k8%2FxDWx2y9Ep0U%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Yeah, if I had that much I'd spend it on this great hat. But no way dod I have that much cash to spend on a hat!

stetson_Nutria_02.JPG
stetson_Nutria_03.JPG
stetson_Nutria_04.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff