Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ingineer

One Too Many
John;
What a prize!!
Almost reached to my monitor to pet it.

Is there a way to remedy the tracking that happens in velour when it snoozes in a hat box ring over decades?
( the line at the foot of the crown )

Richard

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Of course. This makes perfect sense--and it provides yet another reason hat fans don't bid till the last moment. Boy, are we a canny bunch!

A

I am a "In the last 7 second) bidder . I use no software just have to guess what the other guy is going to bid and make my bid above their in the last few seconds.
ebay contracted me with question once and some stats saying i performing above the norm in bid wins. They wanted to see if I was using some kind new program. Lol.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Super fast shipper, the Stetson was here this morning. It is an amazing velour finish - best I've ever handled. It dry creased easily, and is in near-mint condition. I'm ecstatic.

Very nice Love have found one in that color .. Very hard with my budget. Great find ..

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I've been driving all day, glad to see you guys approve ;-). I wore this one until I left for the mountains - it is my new favorite hat, but switched to a Stetson OR that I was less afraid to damage in the woods.

Alan, I will post the block sticker when I get home.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I am a "In the last 7 second) bidder . I use no software just have to guess what the other guy is going to bid and make my bid above their in the last few seconds.
ebay contracted me with question once and some stats saying i performing above the norm in bid wins. They wanted to see if I was using some kind new program. Lol.
I'm one of the 5-6s snipers on ebay. Sometimes I loose because there is no time to bid again, sometimes I win. No one ever complained...

I've been driving all day, glad to see you guys approve ;-).
I aprove the velour finish and I do believe the pictures don't do justice to the hat. You know... brim width is an issue to me... ;)

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
I'm one of the 5-6s snipers on ebay. Sometimes I loose because there is no time to bid again, sometimes I win. No one ever complained... ;)

I think some one who was biding on the item make a complaint. IT happen after i was bidding on 3 items from one vender on ebay and won all 3 items with in second apart.. I was just using 3 systems and a tablet . Some times I bring the items up on more then one systems and put in one bit higher on the them so if miss one i hit the other fast. Some time it works some time it doesn't. I lost a few but there is that feeling you get as the second tick off you get .. The guessing of the bid and if you got it right if it is it too low.. The trill of the hunt I guess.
Well I am just going sit back now watch a few hats go by. Looking for the next right one. or just good deal. ;)

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
I never bid except in the last 8 seconds. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. But I never ever put my highest, best bid in any time before the last 8 seconds.

I not sure why i do it that way i done the setting and waited but I njust seem to love that last second bid. Trying to out guess what the other person is going to bid and see if I can beat them.. I don't feel I'm that good but I do far so far lol guess I am bid junky lol I just see bidding too soon as raising the price too high on things.. I like getting things a fair price but I love when get it cheaper then retail more .

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I think it's too varied to say that such a thing is fact. I've seen last-minute bids take a hat price through the roof, and I've seen a flurry of early bid activity peter out, with the hat selling for a mid-range price. Mostly fl members seem convinced that there are thousands of people out there who are just dying to throw wads of money at hats if they could only find 'em. eBay is fickle, and I think there are just too many variables.

As always, know what you're willing to pay for a hat, then get that bid in.

ingineer

One Too Many
John;
Do not apologize for your photos.
We all love pics of hats, if the vendor used yours you might not have won.

Lotsahats;
Like your strategy of Revenue equivalence
I think it all comes down to game theory.
Condensed as such:
"a player pays nothing if he loses the auction."
Very Bayesian

Richard

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Last year saw a guy who was selling some Vintage round sunglasses with the folding side screen on them hit a all tie hit of over $400 plus for over 7 days. It got even more near the end.. I was worry the guy was getting scammed by some one or he was pushing his bids up with help from some one. The bid list was showed one guy bidding it up with another close behind him.

The sell was shock the guy paid right at end of bidding. I had been watching ton of Goggles or Sunglasses none had going for more than $200 that had seen at the time.
Some one REALLY REALLY wanted those glasses. I have limit I budget and I not crazy at my bidding. Be it hats or a Blu-ray Box set or some other item that like I set a number i want it at.
I set my limits.. I gotten PS3 games 40% or more off NEW games. I have gotten hats goggles for my Steampunk fun and re-sale . I gotten computers . My fist time biding ever I won my first laptop I owned. I do like Buy now if they suite my price.
But I went some time before did any buying again on ebay it just in the last yea when started doing Steampunk and to replace some music CD that got stolen have i started really selling and buy more on ebay. I am going to be listing some Steampunk item later on ebay (mostly goggles and glasses). Yes you lose nothing if you don't win the bid but when you are selling you are always looking for the high price for the sell. Me i just want to get back the investment and what ever I can above that. no need to be greedy about I feel.
I see it this way if i have item some one wants and it priced far for me and they want deal on it. I price it higher for wiggle room. I do have 2 items up right now some computer video cards and a pendent I made. Maybe pulling them down for bit during the Steampunk item sale. need to re-think those items. working on pictures and pricing right now.

fedoracentric

Banned
I always go into an ebay sale just hoping to break even on what I paid for the item I am selling. If I make $$, then that is gravy.

But sometimes an item just goes nuts and there is no real explanation other than at least two guys were fighting over an item that they just had to have.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
But sometimes an item just goes nuts and there is no real explanation other than at least two guys were fighting over an item that they just had to have.
Sometimes it's because an item pop up on ebay, you only have seen another one for a long time and you don't want to let it escape because you never know when another one will pop up again. You only let it go when it reaches your budget limit.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Sometimes it's because an item pop up on ebay, you only have seen another one for a long time and you don't want to let it escape because you never know when another one will pop up again. You only let it go when it reaches your budget limit.

Yep i see that happen. I do a lot searching for items not listed on ebay. Some time it is due to they don't sell or just no one want to part with it. I bought a computer case off ebay for client and then got one for myself . the case was big for some time now none are listing at all. Thought about posting the one i have up to see if it would sell or just to see how high they would bid on it. BTW is everyone watching that Action comic #1 auction ? $2,210,100.00 and it effecting other selling the same book that isn't even as close to mint as that one.

I been going back over all my estate people I bought from to see if they have any hats in. It never hurt to put feelers out for items you want too.

Landman

One Too Many
I just looked at that Action Comic auction. I don't follow comic book auctions and only looked because you mentioned it. That is amazing. I can't imagine paying that kind of money for a comic book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner