Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

B1ggles

Familiar Face
Another daring foray completed, I've been looking for a grey fedora for two or three years. Fingers crossed that 'Attaboy' only made fur felt fedoras in the 40s/50s (or whatever the real date is), but I only paid GBP26 for it, so not a big mistake if I have made one.

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I won this Strat over the weekend
100_3619.jpg

100_3599.jpg

Cost me $50 including shipping
Size 7 1/8
Going to need to clean him judging by the pictures but a decent price

I recently picked up this old (probably 1920s) Wegener. This is the first pre WWII Wegener soft felt. I am not really sure about the size but it was worth taking a chance on such a great looking hat (also good auction photos).

15248650012_7676278d99_b.jpg

15062333509_207c18613a_b.jpg

15062344100_de7956b775_b.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting brim treatment. Stitching inside, like that.

Now you say "the first soft hat" do you mean the first one you ever got or the first model Wegener offered?

Both so a rare find (Robert's stiff felt is the only other pre WWII Wegener). A couple soft felts have recently become available although the seller didn't know this one was a Wegener (I can tell by the mark). Also I can tell the felt is very high quality. The brim treatment / form is similar to Alan's Stetson Excellent Quality - The Avenue.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?42859-Pre-1940s-Stetson-dress-hats&p=1827655&viewfull=1#post1827655

This is Robert's (RLK) old Wegener Melone which is also very high quality.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/4-rm-wegener-hutfabrik/page__st__20#entry387

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Stetson from the thirties (according to the box which has 1938 handwritten on it)

_DSC1054_zps3aa4060e.jpg _DSC1053_zps4471e775.jpg

_DSC1057_zps7189dd6d.jpg _DSC1056_zpsefa274e6.jpg

_DSC1058_zps55c835f2.jpg _DSC1059_zps7a5f790b.jpg

Sadly no liner on this but the sweatband, ribbon and felt are practically like new. That ribbon is 2 3/8. widest i have on any vintage hat

tommyK

One Too Many
Mayser love everything about that Wegener. the color, the shape, the ribbon and is that an adjustable band with the ribbon or string missing?

Yes it looks that way although the bow looks original / old. When I have it in hand (hopefully next week) I will be able to tell more. I have been looking for an old Wegener soft felt (any size)for a long time. Your 1930s Stetson looks fantastic!

Last edited:
Congratulations on that great find, Steve.

tommyK, I think your Excellent Quality is older than 1938. It's a beauty and a special score in that size. Have a look (carefully - a mirror can help if the sweat seems at all fragile, though it looks to be in great shape) for the LOTXXXX stamp. It will be on the reverse side of the sweat usually near the front. Take a photo and add it to this thread.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I would think that Stetson to be from 1915 to the very early 30s. probably 20s. The lot # would be a big help! Don't forget to post those sweats in the sweet sweat thread. Absolutely stunning!

Steve, I do look forward to more photos!!!!!

tommyK

One Too Many
Congratulations on that great find, Steve.

tommyK, I think your Excellent Quality is older than 1938. It's a beauty and a special score in that size. Have a look (carefully - a mirror can help if the sweat seems at all fragile, though it looks to be in great shape) for the LOTXXXX stamp. It will be on the reverse side of the sweat usually near the front. Take a photo and add it to this thread.

This hat is very well preserved. It's in amazing shape. The sweatband is soft and pliable and no sign of any loose stitches. I steamed and brushed it with my modified block in (narrowed the bottom to not stress sweatbands still in the hat) to bring it back to open crown. I gave it the original crease it had just neatened it up a bit. Perfect clay-like moldability. No mothbites.

MCrider

A-List Customer
I recently found this little gem on Ebay. It's a short brimmed Stetson Gun Club in very very dark green

01 Stetson Gun Club 003.jpg

The picture doesn't do the color justice. I had to take it outside to tell that it was indeed green. But the oddest feature is below.

01 Stetson Gun Club 001.jpg

The rear part of the leather sweat has a yellow ribbon wound through slots iin it. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany