Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

g.durand

One Too Many
A couple of finds coming my way.

This one went on "sale" last week. I remember a discussion about it somewhere around these parts a while back.
100_zps2eb9e04f.jpeg

1001_zpsa0817599.jpeg

And today I grabbed this one, what looks to be a circa late '40s, early '50s Stratoliner.
brownstrat_zps2eb3ab49.jpg

Last edited:
OK, Gdurand... NOW YOU have truly arrived! Those lids, ESPECIALLY the 100, in your size... TWO at a time (if that's how you find them, you MUST react, I know)...CRAZY, ASTOUNDING, FANASTIC. In your size...!!!!!!!!

If, by chance, the !00 is too big for you.... :D

CONGRATULATIONS, Mike!

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Thought I'd post this here as many of us have been griping about high prices and certain sellers. Well one of them had a 50% sale last weekend (I guess they heard the chorus here). I put my money where my big mouth is and purchased.
_DSC1167_zps1276cb62.jpg
Stetson Twenty

Nice hat and box. When the price went from "that's just to darn much" to "that's kind of a good deal" I bit and am very happy.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 20457
Actually, hatsRme I have three 20's. A Dobbs, a Knox and now a Stetson.

The Hat Corp Of America (Knox, Dobbs, Cavanagh, etc) "20's" are such extremely nice hats. The felt is so incredibly dense and strong, it forms like clay. I have owned quite a few of them. I also owned a Dobbs 40 once and that felt was just about as nice as the 20's, just finished slightly better. The Knox 100 I sold a couple years back was by far the finest piece of felt I have ever held in my hands. It was an absolute masterpiece of hat engineering.

tommyK

One Too Many
My limited experience conforms with yours Joshbru3. Perhaps not as collectible as the Stetsons but great quality, if not better. I hope to find other colors in the Hat Corp Twenty line up. especially with the Cavanagh edge treatment.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
My limited experience conforms with yours Joshbru3. Perhaps not as collectible as the Stetsons but great quality, if not better. I hope to find other colors in the Hat Corp Twenty line up. especially with the Cavanagh edge treatment.

Well, I do not know how many 40's/50's hats I have owned/sold/traded (its a lot), but I can honestly tell you that the Hat Corp 20, 40, and 100 designation was better than ANYTHING Stetson was producing at the time. A Stetson 7xCB or Stetson 100 didn't even hold a candle to the Knox 100. I currently own a Dobbs 15 which is an excellent hat as well. In the late 40's/early 50's Hat Corp was really making some amazing felt.

The Knox and Dobbs twenties of the 1950s wore felted brim edges. As Josh said, they share much with their more expensive cousins. I find the forties to have a stiffer, more clay-like felt - the twenty is softer - a little steam is helpful to form a good crease. Both are beautifully made - the forty, a little more deluxe. Great hats when you can find them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24